Connection between Weirwoods and Many-Faced God?

Craving Peaches

I just has a quick thought inspired by the 'Are all weirwoods just one organism?' thread. Each weirwood we see is described as having a different face, but they are all part of the Weirwood 'Network'. In a similar manner, all the gods we see as having various faces are all supposed to just be aspects of the one god. Weirwoods are also associated with death given we see someone executed/sacrificed to one.

7 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Weirwoods are also associated with death given we see someone executed/sacrificed to one.

I don't think weirwoods are associated w/ death but rather w/ the natural cycle of life. 

I also don't see the MFG as a religion exactly? Can't get into it just now coz on phone.

But I think the FM and OG have commonalities, especially in regards to death being a part of natural life. And given all the zombies and other types of shenanigans messing up all of that + seasons etc, I can see these seeing each other as a potential ally so to speak.

Valar Morghulis.

4 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Death is part of the circle of life though. Renewal and all that?

Exactly my point? It's just that saying they're "associated w/ death" makes it sound... I don't know, very different from the normal cycle of life and death. :D

27 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Death is part of the circle of life though. Renewal and all that?

The House of Black and White does have a weirwood/ebony door, hmm. Weirwoods are pretty spooky entities, all things considered. And they have a collective power that one might say approaches the divine. I like the analogy - surely it's been noted before now, though? 

16 minutes ago, Sandy Clegg said:

The House of Black and White does have a weirwood/ebony door, hmm. Weirwoods are pretty spooky entities, all things considered. And they have a collective power that one might say approaches the divine. I like the analogy - surely it's been noted before now, though? 

Also the disguise chosen by the Kindly Man seems awfully similar to Bloodraven's appearance in the Weirwood cave.  So yes, I think there is an intentional parallel.

My whole working theory of magic is that it's all different bloodlines of one magical species that's evolved to look and act differently, but I never thought of the Faceless Men's deity as being a way to warm readers to the notion that it's all different aspects of one "god." I like it.

In-story, there are certainly connections. Their face-changing echoes skin-changing (it actually fits GRRM's use of the term in his earlier stories), they have a ritual awakening in blindness. And it seems of a piece with a broader trend of magical beings worshipping some god in the darkness: the mazemakers of Lorath; Leng, etc.