Shoot your shot at the kingsmoot

astarkchoice

Ok probably been done before.butets say you are lord madeup from the powerful ironborn house of madeuponthespot

Balon aka father of the year is dead, stand and sell your vision for the ironborns future going forward!!! Again this assumes no whitewalkers. Its ironborn so morals off! 

Mine:

Pull back from the north and take every boat we have and attack the arbor, the only fleet left that can oppose us! Burn their harbours and raid inland to burn their shipbuilding ports etc! Rinse and repeat with any attempt to rebuild

Spilt the fleets in 3 ! One with the smallest boats will search northwest of the ironisles for the large island named after 3 dragons that supposedly has wood, wild boar,and freshwater! Its supposedly as big as dragonstone so the ironislands will be expanded!

2nd one will go north with half the iron fleet to split again to meet with asha and cleftjaw, both are to abandon the holdfasts they took and burn them  to the ground behind them! Both will converge on bear islamd and take very living northern soul off it either dead , salt wife or into thralldom! Bear island will be another iron island going forward and  patrols sent to raid + burn  any attempt to build a fleet on the north west coast...not that minus winterfell, deepwoodmotte  torren square etc there is likely to be anything coordinated for some.time

3rd one: the rest head with the best individual fighters and surpise the basilisk isles! They will also be added to the iron isles. Slaughter the pirate/slaver leaders there and any of the remaining ordinary pirates who wish to live and follow can do so! The fortune  they made from raiding and slaving in the east will now be for the new ironborn

2 hours ago, astarkchoice said:

Its ironborn so morals off!

If morals are totally, completely off...

The Old Way has to die by any means necessary for the good of the future of the Ironborn. It is stifling any sort of progress in the Islands and is ruining things for all but the elite of the Islands.

Damphair et al. all need to go. The Old Way is ensuring successive generations of Ironborn suffer from brain damage due to oxygen depravation. Get rid of the thrall and salt wife system. Make all the former thralls and salt wives Ironborn with full rights. Kill all the Codds.  Put the Reader in charge of most things. Council of the Reader, Asha, Baelor Blacktyde (unless he's already dead in this scenario), some other reasonable people, with myself in charge to run things. With the influx of non-stupid this should get the ball rolling. Focus on trade rather than conquest, unless we are talking positions that the Ironborn could utilise well like the Stepstones or other Islands. Loot the remaining part of the continental North then leave, taking hostages for ransom. Take Bear Island. Kill anyone who resists or just kill everyone to make sure. Bear Island can actually be held by the Ironborn and is covered in forest, thus giving them access to wood to maintain and augment the fleet. Make sure the forests are managed responsibly so this resource doesn't run out. There was also a theory that the Islands are overpopulated so some people could settle here to reduce the population pressure.

Alternatively, if I was being extra, extra evil...

Burn all the ships. The Islands have no forests left to build more (if there are any left, burn them), so everyone is stuck on the island. They also cannot fish aside from very close to the islands, and as they disavow farming and lack sufficiently good soil to farm anyway, they can't farm. The fish stocks close to the shore will soon run out. This move should ensure the bulk of the population starves. Hopefully, the survivors are either already know, or realise after this event how stupid the Old Way is. With more resources to go around per person the quality of life of the survivors should also increase.

Of course, no one at the Kingsmoot would ever accept this...

1 hour ago, Craving Peaches said:

If morals are totally, completely off...

The Old Way has to die by any means necessary for the good of the future of the Ironborn. It is stifling any sort of progress in the Islands and is ruining things for all but the elite of the Islands.

Damphair et al. all need to go. The Old Way is ensuring successive generations of Ironborn suffer from brain damage due to oxygen depravation. Get rid of the thrall and salt wife system. Make all the former thralls and salt wives Ironborn with full rights. Kill all the Codds.  Put the Reader in charge of most things. Council of the Reader, Asha, Baelor Blacktyde (unless he's already dead in this scenario), some other reasonable people, with myself in charge to run things. With the influx of non-stupid this should get the ball rolling. Focus on trade rather than conquest, unless we are talking positions that the Ironborn could utilise well like the Stepstones or other Islands. Loot the remaining part of the continental North then leave, taking hostages for ransom. Take Bear Island. Kill anyone who resists or just kill everyone to make sure. Bear Island can actually be held by the Ironborn and is covered in forest, thus giving them access to wood to maintain and augment the fleet. Make sure the forests are managed responsibly so this resource doesn't run out. There was also a theory that the Islands are overpopulated so some people could settle here to reduce the population pressure.

Alternatively, if I was being extra, extra evil...

Burn all the ships. The Islands have no forests left to build more (if there are any left, burn them), so everyone is stuck on the island. They also cannot fish aside from very close to the islands, and as they disavow farming and lack sufficiently good soil to farm anyway, they can't farm. The fish stocks close to the shore will soon run out. This move should ensure the bulk of the population starves. Hopefully, the survivors are either already know, or realise after this event how stupid the Old Way is. With more resources to go around per person the quality of life of the survivors should also increase.

Of course, no one at the Kingsmoot would ever accept this...

Damn and i thought farwynd gave an extreme vision at the moot!!

I honestly can't even think of a way to actually lead this band of raiders to anything better than Dalton Greyjoy or Balon achieved to be honest. They are a step up from pirates and the Mountain Clansmen of the Vale, and because they are savages, the best way to win them over is to promise them land, riches and plunder.

I agree with you that I would promise them plunder in the Reach. If we had the numbers, I would go south to the Shield Islands, the Arbor to break their fleet and burn their harbour hopefully and then plunder Oldtown if I could - imagine the fear of Westeros if we managed to raid Oldtown... And the Ironborn are stupid and arrogant enough to believe we could do it. I would however see how attacking the Arbor goes first before committing to this attack on Oldtown.

With regards to your three fleets, you have the right idea but this cannot be done for a very long time. Sending a third of your fleet away to go after the Farman Pirate who sailed west is generally an OK idea but just silly to be honest because you've just invaded the South and then left your lands with only two quarters of your strength whilst going on a silly goose chase that is too far away to give yourself any real benefit.

The Basilisk Isles would be a good one to eventually raid, although you may be best doing that in a few years time and sending off a few of your more dishonourable, untrustworthy and troublesome captains and lords for that task.

I like the idea of taking Bear Island but for the moment would not burn Deepwood Motte to the ground. It's close enough to the sea that you should be able to retreat easily enough (or so you should think, in hindsight we know that Asha is easily captured by Stannis)

I would tell the ironborn that the days of "paying the iron price" are over, at least in Westeros. When Black Harren invaded the Riverlands, Westeros was divided into many kingdoms, and he could be confident that an attack on one wouldn't provoke a response from all the others. But after Aegon's conquest, Westeros is a single kingdom, and it's much, much larger than the Iron Islands. So the ironborn can no longer attack it with impunity. If they want to continue raiding and reaving, they'll have to do it in other, more remote or unwanted places, such as the Stepstones.

Of course, the current situation is different, with so many great houses battling each other; but that will only be temporary. For the most part, none of the combatants actually want to secede from Westeros; they're just arguing about who should be its king. Yes, the North did attempt to secede; but with so many of the rebel lords dead, and Winter coming on, it's unlikely that the attempt will continue, much less be successful.

I would not attempt to do away with the religion of the Drowned God. That sort of oppression always feeds the fires of rebellion.

10 hours ago, KingStoneheart said:

I honestly can't even think of a way to actually lead this band of raiders to anything better than Dalton Greyjoy or Balon achieved to be honest. They are a step up from pirates and the Mountain Clansmen of the Vale, and because they are savages, the best way to win them over is to promise them land, riches and plunder.

I agree with you that I would promise them plunder in the Reach. If we had the numbers, I would go south to the Shield Islands, the Arbor to break their fleet and burn their harbour hopefully and then plunder Oldtown if I could - imagine the fear of Westeros if we managed to raid Oldtown... And the Ironborn are stupid and arrogant enough to believe we could do it. I would however see how attacking the Arbor goes first before committing to this attack on Oldtown.

With regards to your three fleets, you have the right idea but this cannot be done for a very long time. Sending a third of your fleet away to go after the Farman Pirate who sailed west is generally an OK idea but just silly to be honest because you've just invaded the South and then left your lands with only two quarters of your strength whilst going on a silly goose chase that is too far away to give yourself any real benefit.

The Basilisk Isles would be a good one to eventually raid, although you may be best doing that in a few years time and sending off a few of your more dishonourable, untrustworthy and troublesome captains and lords for that task.

I like the idea of taking Bear Island but for the moment would not burn Deepwood Motte to the ground. It's close enough to the sea that you should be able to retreat easily enough (or so you should think, in hindsight we know that Asha is easily captured by Stannis)

Yeah once the redwyne fleet is ashes theres pretty much just the tiny seaguard fleet, lannister, whsrs left of the royal fleet (still at civil war anyway) and manderlys 20.something ships and whatever the vale+ stormlands  has. Then westeros is wide open to raiding.

Yeah if they burn deepwood and torrens square, go abck and burn winterfell more thoroughly  and raid house dusin (wooden walls and barrowtown is wooden )as well as house rysewell onnthe way back...thats pretty much cleane dout most of tje west coast of powerful houses to coordinate anti raiding forces. That leaves the population from landed knights to serfs to either swear to the ironborn making the coastlands theirs basicaly   OR flee east  to the powerful bolton, manderlys umbers and karstatks etc

19 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Removing the Old Way requires radical action.

Stannis would be proud.

Joking aside, I firmly agree that the Old Way is awful and needs to be expunged from people’s mindsets. The II need to be dragged kicking and screaming out of that belief system.

Edited by James Steller

27 minutes ago, James Steller said:

Stannis would be proud.

Joking aside, I firmly agree that the Old Way is awful and needs to be expunged from people’s mindsets. The II need to be dragged kicking and screaming out of that belief system.

Its a crappy culture but i do love the theory its been inspired in the ironborn by seeing tje deep.ones/squishers

5 hours ago, James Steller said:

Stannis would be proud.

I often wonder how "the iron price" works. How do you have an economy, when the only way you're allowed to get money, is by killing the person who has it and taking it off his/her dead body, lol

Edited by sifth

21 minutes ago, sifth said:

I often wonder how "the iron price" works. How do you have an economy, when the only way you're allowed to get money, is by killing the person who has it and taking it off his/her dead body, lol

It's totally parasitic and only works if the IB have loads of non IB to plunder (bit like Dothraki). Realistically, as soon as the Greenlanders get their act together so they are no longer easy targets, the Old Way should die because it just wouldn't be viable at all. Especially since it doesn't even allow the IB to just be paid to go away like the Dothraki.

23 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

But the religion itself is inherently oppressive so a rebellion could start either way?

Hmmm, yes, I had forgotten that the raiding and burning are apparently baked into the religion; the wiki lists a few quotes about that.  If the IB lose enough battles, they'll lose faith un their god. Better, I think, to let it happen organically than to try to stamp it out.

7 minutes ago, Aebram said:

Hmmm, yes, I had forgotten that the raiding and burning are apparently baked into the religion; the wiki lists a few quotes about that.  If the IB lose enough battles, they'll lose faith un their god. Better, I think, to let it happen organically than to try to stamp it out.

It's had literally thousands of years to die out organically.

They lost the Greyjoy rebellion very badly but there is no hint of giving up the Old Way, they just want to try again later.

Even when confronted with evidence which should lead them to conclude the Old Way is stupid they just make excuses to continue it.

Edited by Craving Peaches

11 hours ago, sifth said:

I don't think anyone wants to draw their steel to pay for a horn of ale or a bag of potatoes. The iron-price rule is only for jewelry, and only for men.

“That bauble around your neck—was it bought with gold or iron?” Theon touched the gold chain. He had forgotten. It has been so long … In the Old Way, women might decorate themselves with ornaments bought with coin, but a warrior wore only the jewelry he took off the corpses of enemies slain by his own hand. (Clash 11)

6 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

They lost the Greyjoy rebellion very badly but there is no hint of giving up the Old Way, they just want to try again later.

Even when confronted with evidence which should lead them to conclude the Old Way is stupid they just make excuses to continue it.

It also means less maesters which= less ravennet messages!  Soo stupid

1 minute ago, Craving Peaches said:

Not thousands, I think. The Old Way was working quite well for them until Aegon's Conquest 300 years ago. After the Targaryen dynasty fell, Greyjoy tried to resume the Old Way, but he was soundly defeated. 9 years later, he was preparing to try again, but then he died.

Now Euron rules, and he's set his sights on the whole world, not just Westeros. Meanwhile, Theon and Asha are planning to challebge him, and Victarion is none too loyal. Euron's magic may be powerful, but it's still "a sword without a hilt." I don't see a bright future for the ironborn.

1 minute ago, Aebram said:

The Old Way was working quite well for them until Aegon's Conquest 300 years ago.

That wasn't just the Old Way though, it was the fact that the Seven Kingdoms were not united, plus there were Hoare Kings who bothered to do things like trade, but they don't seem to care about that.

Well, I'm Ironborn.  That means I'm a moron.  Roderick the Reader is so-called because he's one of the few Ironborn who can read.  If you're Ironborn, thinking is considered a form of mutiny.

So, my manifesto is that The Old Way is the Only Way.  We do what we do best.  Raid the Greenlanders, pillage them, murder the men, carry off the women, and sacrifice the children to the Drowned God. 

2 hours ago, Aebram said:

I don't think anyone wants to draw their steel to pay for a horn of ale or a bag of potatoes. The iron-price rule is only for jewelry, and only for men.

I mean in ADWD Victarion feels rather upset, that he had to pay for his food at a local tavern using "the gold price". He acts like it makes him less of a man or something stupid like that.