No Rhae of hope

Roswell

Rhaenys, Rhaenyra, Rhaella, Rhaegar, Rhaego.  All of them died before their time while they were still young.  Jon Snow could be a bastard son of Rhaeger and Lyanna.  Lyanna was crazy enough to dare name her bastard Rhaegar after his royal father.  Jon was killed for betraying the Night's Watch.  That puts him in the pattern of the Rhaes.  I am actually happy about his death.  But I am worried about Dany's dragon, Rhaegal. 

7 hours ago, Northern Sword said:

Nice theory. fits together well. 

Aegon - Gon - Jon

His true name, Aegon V Targaryen 

Aegon VI, surely? But why would they call him Aegon when Rhaegar already has an older son by that name, who he believes to be the PtwP, etc?

Why on Earth would Rhaegar name another son Aegon? Who is alive and well as far as Rhaegar was ever aware, since he died before the sacking? If Rhaegar didn't name him, why would Lyanna name her son Aegon, when Rhaegar's son by another woman was already called that (and Lyanna might not be aware of that death either)?

It would be one of the silliest things ever to have Jon's real name be 'Aegon', especially since there is already either original Aegon or another Aegon in the story.

Edited by Craving Peaches

3 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Why on Earth would Rhaegar name another son Aegon? Who is alive and well as far as Rhaegar was ever aware, since he died before the sacking? If Rhaegar didn't name him, why would Lyanna name her son Aegon, when Rhaegar's son by another woman was already called that (and Lyanna might not be aware of that death either)?

It would be one of the silliest things ever to have Jon's real name be 'Aegon', especially since there is already either original Aegon or another Aegon in the story.

There was some piece of really bad fanfiction, a few years ago, that gave Jon the name “Aegon.”

52 minutes ago, SeanF said:

There was some piece of really bad fanfiction, a few years ago, that gave Jon the name “Aegon.”

51 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

There are multiple...

If AO3 has taught me anything, it is that any fanfiction where Jon Snow is named Aegon is simply not worth reading.

So I just read these:

https://archiveofourown.org/tags/Jon Snow *a* Aegon Targaryen (Son of Elia)/works

https://archiveofourown.org/tags/Jon Snow is Not Called Aegon/works

49 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Also avoid 'The Rebellion was based on a lie'.

Yeah... I mean, I am fine with fanfiction where Lyanna had actually run away with Rhaegar instead of being kidnapped (though considering Rhaegar's obsession with prophecy, I do think it is also likely he may have kidnapped her).

Thing is, that is not what actually caused the Rebellion. Aerys did, and his actions simply aren't something that can be excused.

13 hours ago, Alester Florent said:

Aegon VI, surely? But why would they call him Aegon when Rhaegar already has an older son by that name, who he believes to be the PtwP, etc?

I may have got it wrong on the Aegon Number. It was a dart throw for the name, didnt put much thought into it. Simply a similarity of names as opposed to Viserys. It is also a common name for Targ's, 

5 hours ago, SeanF said:

I remember reading some of it. Probably why it was rattling around in my head. 

5 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

Prophecy, obviously ... lol  

I don't think similarity of real name to fake name entered into Ned's mind when he named Jon. He just named him after Jon Arryn. After all, his goal wasn't to drop a clever hint at Jon's real identity, but rather to keep Jon's identity a closely guarded secret from literally everyone including Jon himself. If anything, you'd think similarity would be a reason not to pick a given name.

It's far from certain, I think, that Lyanna had any say in his naming at all. GRRM has previously commented that Jon was probably named by Ned, albeit that could just mean that Ned gave him the "Jon" name and doesn't rule out Lyanna's having named him something else first. 

5 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

Also avoid 'The Rebellion was based on a lie'.

I will always avoid any fic which is tagged “scat”, “daddy kink”, “girl penis”, “Thramsay”, or which pairs Sansa with men twice or thrice her age.

46 minutes ago, Lord of Oldstones said:

Lol. Rhaena Farman died @ 70, Rhaena Hightower likely lived long there are also Rhae Targ and Rhaelle Baratheon unaccounted. Im not sure if Rhaegar Frey died or lives? 

I'm sure he's just fine. He probably just got lost on his way to Winterfell. Have another slice of pie.

2 hours ago, Aldarion said:

I think Aemon is more likely. How many Aegons had a younger brother named Aemon? I can think of a few...

Potential foreshadowing?

Every morning they had trained together, since they were big enough to walk; Snow and Stark, spinning and slashing about the wards of Winterfell, shouting and laughing, sometimes crying when there was no one else to see. They were not little boys when they fought, but knights and mighty heroes. "I'm Prince Aemon the Dragonknight," Jon would call out, and Robb would shout back, "Well, I'm Florian the Fool."