Making the Lands Beyond the Wall a formal kingdom

2 minutes ago, James West said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Not without dragons.  The land is too vast and the wildlings are crazy.  A large occupying force will be required.

Sorry! I didn't put much thought into the question. I didn't mean only as part of the seven kingdoms, they could have their own sovereignty. It doesn't even need to be a kingdom really, the "king beyond the wall" can be voted in by the various magnars. And not all tribes have to be part of it like the Thenns for example.

Mance had his own kingdom.  Somebody like him could put tribes together and build himself a kingdom.  He would have to find a way to protect from the Others.  He can make a new religion where the people happily give up their children to the trees.  It was good enough for Craster.

Southrons might have referred to "The King Beyond the Wall" but Mance himself did not make anything of such a title or ask wildlings to 'Bend the Knee'. There would be absolutely no stomach north of the Wall for a 'Kingdom' and trying to enforce one would simply cause massive conflict where none is necessary.

So. 'Worth it?' - no.

Possible - Given that lack of support, I'd say 'not worth it' and therefore, probably not possible.

Besides, how does a monarchy enforce a tax policy? Seriously, the size and spread of the environment might draw some kind of parallel with the Dothraki Sea, but the flat steppes of the DS enable Dothraki to be fast and mobile enough to hunt down and punish renegades to khalasars. The environment of the Far North I'd say is vastly different.

Edited by House Cambodia

10 hours ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

What are you going to do, tax em?  

Not really, more interested in the unity aspect. Unity brings peace, peace brings more people, more people mean more jobs they are able to fulfill. Also, I would be really interested in how a society would play out especially with the spear wife aspect of it. Really just world building scenarios in my head.

1 hour ago, KingoftheRiversandtheHills said:

Not really, more interested in the unity aspect. Unity brings peace, peace brings more people, more people mean more jobs they are able to fulfill. Also, I would be really interested in how a society would play out especially with the spear wife aspect of it. Really just world building scenarios in my head.

The land probably can't support a lot of people, comparable countries still have very few people for their size even with modern technology. in fact they are still lower than most countries were with medieval technology.

Not really

Mance was able to just about forge them knto an allianfe with the threat if the walkers and even then hes had to charm, threaten and endlessly negotiate to bring a temporary peace ...shit he even had to duel a few times to make it happen.

Like an old.school.empire youd need to break them.with an invasion force and build settlements, ease them into the fold and at huge cost and probably frequent rebellions...and for what exactlly? The far north is worse off than the north so unless theres a massive secret gold or silver seam found no king or emperor would try it!