Andrzej Sapkowski

Calibandar

Yeah, so far (only around page 200 of a 270 page edition of the first novel) she seems like an interesting character and I'm curious to read more.

And that I shall shortly. I received an email last night stating that my copy of [i]Time of Disdain[/i] had shipped from Spain and that I ought to be receiving it around the end of next week. Sweet.

OK, I wished I had been warned about this scene:

SPOILER: Blood of the Elves
Reading about Ciri complaining to Yennefer that she can't perform magic because she's a virgin and the resulting jokes was one of the more amusing things I've read in a while.

Oh, it continues beyond the end of [i]Blood of Elves[/i]? :P And speaking of that book, there was one line there that amused me. I'll provide the Spanish translation first, followed by my own rough English translation (from the last chapter):

[quote][i]Mi Maestra solía decir que dejar salir la fuerza debe resultar como si te tiraras un pedo en una sala de baile: delicadamente, moderadamente y bajo control. Y de tal modo que los que te rodean no se den cuenta que eres tú. ¿Entiendes?[/i]

My teacher often said that letting go of the force/power ought to result as if you farted in a dance hall: delicately, moderately, and under control. And in such a way that those around you would not realize it was you. Do you understand?[/quote]

Apparently so, now that I'm halfway through [i]Tiempo de Odio[/i]. And I decided to read spoilers for the entire series and it's an interesting conclusion, to say the least.

[url="http://ofblog.blogspot.com/2008/07/part-i-of-june-2008-fantasymundo.html"]Here's Part I [/url]of a June 2008 interview with Fantasymundo that I'm translating into English that might be of some interest to people here. I'll try to have the second half done tomorrow or Monday.

Having read the English translation of the French translation of [i]Solaris[/i], I think he might be onto something, although Lem's [i]The Cyberiad[/i] was worlds better and much easier to enjoy. It was indeed a highlight of that interview.

Come on, Solaris is one of my favorite novels ever, in genre of out of it. Also, I am not alone in this opinion, since this book shows up in many best novels polls - at least in Poland and in Russia. I heard Engkish translation sucks donkey ass, though :angry:

Sapkowski never tried to hide he dislikes Lem - and not without reason, considering hostile attitude Lem had toward genre at large and fantasy in particular. IIRC, Lem in some interview flatly refused to read any Sapkowski, since everybody knows fantasy must be shit.

Like I implied, the translation of a translation did not lend itself to a great read of the book. I did like the other Lem book quite a bit, however. And I figured there had to be mutual dislike there, as most authors just don't diss another without some reason. But at least it was mild and only reflecting what quite a few felt about the movie versions, no? :P

Yes, it was certainly mild, especially compared to things we sometimes see here :eek: . BTW, Michael Kandel who is Lem's English translator sometimes goes to Polish cons and on one occassion I heard him mentioning he wanted to do new translation of Solaris, but it proved impossible because someone still has copyrights.

Yeah, I remember hearing something about that a few years ago. Speaking of copyrights, seems I made a faux pas and didn't think of emailing the Spanish website for permission to translate their interview. Hrmm...

But if Kandel does get to do a translation of that book, I'll buy it, just to see how much of an improvement is made.

[quote name='Cruella_Da_Oz' post='1461400' date='Jul 29 2008, 18.22']Reading y'all almost convinced me to read Sapkowski. Wish I could do it in Spanish as well, but no way I am paying the delivery cost...
FWIW, Solaris is majestic.[/quote]

If you live in Russia, you can get Sapkowski's books in Russian as well.

I loved Solaris in Russian, but never read it in translation to English. I don't think he's a stylist on par with Gaiman where basically everything's lost in translation, I think his ideas and human themes should be translatable. I also enjoyed Tarkovskiy's movie but that's beside the point. It's very different from a novel anyway. Sorry I can't be of help.

I def. can get his books in Russian, I just never was compelled before. What I really need though is some exciting book in Spanish to impove it.

Well, if you're looking for a Spanish-language story, from what I understand, Javier Negrete has had some outstanding books released during the past ten years. I placed an order last night for two of them, including [i]La espada del fuego[/i], and should receive them sometime next week from Madrid.

Archived