ADWD release date

JCrew

It seems highly unlikely that the release of other books will impact on the release of ADWD (especially the paperback release of Dreamsongs in the UK, as it's by a different publisher to the ASoIaF stuff). ADWD will sell well no matter when it comes out, and the other books could even benefit from extra publicity. For example, writers who put out a book a year like Pratchett or Erikson don't have issues with the paperback of their previous book coming out alongside the hardcover of their new book, and sales of Erikson's Lees of Laughter's End don't seem to have been adversely affected by Reaper's Gale coming out a few weeks later.

We've got about 2-3 weeks before a 2007 release in the UK becomes impossible (since there's a 5-month editorial cycle between completion and publication, or at least there was for the first four books), so I think it is now safe to say that 2008 is the most likely period for release. Also, given that publishers don't seem to be too keen on releasing new hardcovers in the post-Christmas sales rush, March 2008 seems to be the most likely early date for release.

EDIT: Just double-checked through the SSM and noted that ASoS was actually completed less than 4 months before UK publication, so I'm guessing that Voyager's schedule and production requirements also factor into the decision of how soon it can be published after completion. For three books on the trot Orbit and Tor both rushed out the latest Robert Jordan novel less than 6 weeks after completion, but the complaints they received about spelling mistakes and general lack of proofreading made them change that with KoD to a 4-6 month editorial cycle, so that seems to be standard for a fast turnaround in fantasy publishing whilst still maintaining good quality.

There are two English editions, one for the US and one for the UK. The UK edition usually comes out first.

Yeah, that is usually the case. Just checking in case it was different with Martin. The UK release is roughly around the same time as the Australian release right? I know with other authors the UK & Aus dates have been pretty close.

Yeah, that is usually the case. Just checking in case it was different with Martin. The UK release is roughly around the same time as the Australian release right? I know with other authors the UK & Aus dates have been pretty close.

UK and Australia editions are usually by the same publisher, so the release dates should be close.

I call Nov 2012 and here is my proof:

Follow the link:

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/news.html

The comic book and RPG that are being made by other people. The Dreamsongs anthology is made up of his short stories from decades ago. Hunter's Run is an old jointly-written novella between GRRM and Gardner Dozois from years ago which has now been expanded and finished off by Daniel Abraham.

A couple of months back I reported in the general forum that I went onto one of the search computers at Borders (the program staff use and not the public access program) and searched for ADWD. It came up with an April 08 publishing date. Now I took it with a grain of salt. But now I notice that Amazon.co.uk has updated the ADWD release date to April 08 aswell. I know Amazon uk previously had August and October dates for it - but I really do believe that April 08 is the absolute latest ADWD will be released.

As for GRRM being fairly quiet on his site, am I the only one who think thats a good thing?? I hope he has gotten some quality work done!! Lets hope for an update soon.

Assuming that the publisher gave them that date, all it tells us is that they don't expect a publication before April next year. Doesn't mean it won't be later. As long as GRRM hasn't handed in the manuscript it's not in their hands, so their projected publication dates are meaningless.

That's the downside of GRRM's recent popularity. He doesn't need the advance for ADWD to pay his rent, so the publisher has no clout.

A couple of months back I reported in the general forum that I went onto one of the search computers at Borders (the program staff use and not the public access program) and searched for ADWD. It came up with an April 08 publishing date. Now I took it with a grain of salt. But now I notice that Amazon.co.uk has updated the ADWD release date to April 08 aswell. I know Amazon uk previously had August and October dates for it - but I really do believe that April 08 is the absolute latest ADWD will be released.

Completely and totally meaningless.

We've been through this before.

In fact, i would go so far as to suggest that april 08 is the absolute EARLIEST we will see it, but I doubt we'll even see it that early.

I wish we could see something sooner, sigh.

I pre-ordered AFFC in summer 2003 when it was slated for Oct. 2003 release, and by the time the book came I was in college and had to wait until winter break to return home and read it.

Which is why I'm not preordering ADWD. Who knows where I'll be by the time it gets out.

I wish we could see something sooner, sigh.

I pre-ordered AFFC in summer 2003 when it was slated for Oct. 2003 release, and by the time the book came I was in college and had to wait until winter break to return home and read it.

Which is why I'm not preordering ADWD. Who knows where I'll be by the time it gets out.

Same thing happened to me.

But by the time the book was released the credit card i used to order the book was long canceled, and i already had a new pre-order up for at least a year.

I'm now a proud owner of both the UK and the american versions of AFFC :)

I have no idea if i ever paid for my second copy..

My first post on this forum...

I hope that people do realize that in order to write such a magnificent series as ASOIAF that the author needs a great amount of time. Each additional book is more difficult to write than the previous. I would much rather wait it out and read a fantastic book every four years than to see ASOIAF turn into garbage like so many book and movie series that are rushed out after early success just to make the quick buck.

With that being said...... My guess is November 08

• 4 weeks later...

I'd love to hear people's guesses on when this will actually arrive. So an over under in the betting world is where they set a number that seems like it will be 50/50 (or at least what they think the betting public will perceive to be 50/50). So what do you think? December? June of next year? The debate begins.

Whoa. I hope you're being pessimistic and sarcastic. It's got to be by the first half of '08 at the least doesn't it? If i had to place the over-under, I'd put it at March '08.

The debate begins.

Uh... sorry... you're a little late... the debate has been ongoing for just shy of eternity now.

Whoa. I hope you're being pessimistic and sarcastic. It's got to be by the first half of '08 at the least doesn't it?

So you must be new to this series I'm guessing... :)

Archived