Battlestar Galactica: The new movie + pre-Season 4 thread

Werthead

And yet another clip, official this time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLmdmYXzP_E

They're ramping up the hype machine to full speed, it seems!

SPOILER: BSG

AFAIK this is our first (brief) view on the (inside of) Demetrius, the ship with which Starbuck and some others go look for Earth with permission from Adama. Early on in the trailer we get to see Athena holding Starbuck while she is screaming to Helo and Athena that they are killing thier last chance to find Earth. No doubt, this is the moment where they have to return to meet Adama's deadline but Starbuck wants to go on with the search. Athena clearly doesn't trust her by this time.

The rest of the clip appears to be mostly a rehash of earlier ones.

On this page, someone has collected a collection of spoilers/hints about season 4 organised by character. Thanks to an intriguing line that has recently been added in the section of Boomer, I have been able to find the comments from the Youtube poster who originally uploaded those leaked clips from the first 2 eps of season 4, in the cache of Google (Youtube itself has long removed those together with the clip that goes with it). Turns out the comment from this guy is as interesting as the clip itself, and it looks like much of my earlier speculation gets confirmed:

SPOILER: major BSG moment

Written by the Youtube uploader "Emptyvoidness", as comment on the "Cylon debate clip" (the one where Natalie asks what is going on):

"SPOILER ALERT... or, rather, Boomer alert.

This admittedly obscure excerpt is part of a pivotal scene featured in episode 4.02 (that would be "Six of One"). Since it's such a crucial scene, I've made an effort to include only enough to give a hint of what's going on, nothing more. Isn't that the purpose of any trailer/promo/preview?

But I think it's only right I offer at least some context.

As you might recall, humanoid Cylons vote on a 'one model, one vote' basis. Also, remember that hybrids, centurions and raiders don't get to vote...

But, you see, something extraordinary has indeed happened in the Ionian Nebula. It has to do with Boomer, sure, but only from a certain point of view, because the issue at stake is really...

Cavil reminds me that saying even a word more about this is strictly forbidden, as is discussing the Final Five (in other words: it would be a frakking spoiler). He says I would be toying with the Cylons' survival... and you wouldn't want me to do that, right?

Now, will someone explain to me why the centurions over there are not leaving this room? I said leave. LEAVE!

Why don't they leave?!?"

And more, a comment from the same guy about the other Cavil clip ("They're tools, not pets"):

"SPOILER ALERT. Sorta.Al Calavicci (ehm, OK, Brother Cavil... nice anagram) is afraid. Very afraid. Of what?...Well... notice the bit about 'pets'. And remember episode 1.07, "Six Degrees of Separation".This (fragment of a truly cool scene from episode 4.02) marks the beginning of the rift between humanoid Cylons. But you already knew that was going to happen, didn't you? "The seven, now six self-described machines... machines who believe themselves without sin. But in time, it is sin that will consume them. They will know enmity, bitterness (...)".

"

Although many of the linked clips have since been removed and I cannot check to be sure, I do not think this particular cliphas been posted or discussed as of yet. I cannot tell if this is an official Season 4 preview from SciFi, or whether it is just a good home-edit version.

If this does turn out to be real, can anyone weigh in on the following:

SPOILER: WTF?

There are at least two (maybe three) different (i.e., not Galactica or Pegasus) battlestars shown engaged in combat with the Cylons. One is quite clearly called "Hades", and the other is named "Titan". I have (thankfully) only seen "Hero" once, but the only battlestar I recall from that episode was the Valkyrie. Does anyone know whether the Hades or the Titan has made an appearance in a flashback, such as Hero or Razor? I truly cannot recall either of these ships. They appear to be roughly the same make/model as Pegasus (although I must admit that what I believe to be the "Titan" in one scene - with three battlestars approaching the viewer - looks even more 'modern' than Pegasus). In at least one scene, one of these new battlestars is shown with a "new" (i.e., current) baseship in the background, meaning that they probably cannot be flashbacks from anything earlier than roughly the same time as the miniseries.

My best guess at this point is either (i) we are treated to more flashbacks in season 4, which occur possibly during the initial Cylon genocide circa: miniseries, (ii) we will come across more (real-time)random battlestars during the season, or (iii) this is a (very good) fake.

Thoughts?

IIRC that particular clip is believed to be fake by most. It apparently combines clips of earlier seasons with pieces of previews and fan-made models of battlestars (allthough extremely well done models, if so).

As for the earlier linked clips that are down, see my earlier post (366) in this thread. They're still available on that German site.

Yep, that clip was a fake. Someone had highly fanciful notions of how Galactica escapes from the Ionian Neubla. Of course, we now all but know how Galactica and the Fleet escapes:

The Cylon Raiders pull back and disengage when they identity one of the Final Five - Anders - among the humans.

Seems to be backed up by other spoilers. It's what half the conversation was about in the last few spoiler posts:

A civil war breaks out between the skinjobs and the toasters, apparently over the decision to continue attacking the Fleet even after the Four are revealed among them. The metal Cylons apparently side with the faction that wants to make contact with the Four. This indicates a possible connection between the Four and the metallic Cylons: maybe the Four, if they predate all other Cylon models, had a hand in designing them? That doesn't fit with the revealed Cylon model numbers though, which suggests the Four were actually created after the Seven (Tyrol is Number Twelve, for example).

I'm guessing it sounds like a DEM resolution to the battle - although this show has never shied away from DEM before - but it is a fairly logical one. Galactica cannot defeat four Cylon basestars by itself, as shown in Exodus Part II, and with it unable to make jump, the battle must be resolved in some manner other than in the extinction of the human race, and this is a fairly logical way to do that.

If it makes you feel any better:

The Battle of the Ionian Nebula kills more people than any other space battle in the series to date. Apparently the survivor count is reduced by over five thousand people - more than who died on New Capirca and in the exodus afterwards - after dozens of the smaller and less well-armoured ships in the fleet are destroyed.

No. The Sci-Fi Channel only showed it on TV at all because if they didn't they'd get sued (a direct-to-DVD movie would have infringed on the Galactica film rights, which are still held by Glen A. Larson). Now if you want to see it, you have to shell out some hard cash for the DVD. The DVD version, which is about 20 minutes longer, is much better anyway.

The spoiler-festival continues with yet another unseen clip (an official one this time though): http://galacticasitrep.blogspot.com/2008/0...revelation.html

Some interesting new things surface in this clip:

SPOILER: season 4

Tory says "God has a plan for us". Sounds so very ... Cylon. Uh-Oh.

Natalie says "they're here with you". Played right after Roslin asks "I need to know about the other 5". However, based on clips that were released earlier Roslin probably asked the question to Caprica rather than Natalie. I wonder what's the deal here, will Natalie, too, come aboard Galactica at some point (or is it just very misleading editing)? At this rate, there will be more Cylons than humans on board the battlestar soon!

It was already spoiled that Starbuck would learn about the prophecy (about "leading mankind to its end") of the old hybrid in season 4; in this new clip we actually see how. One of the "new" hybrids (the ones on modern Cylon basestars) tells her, face to face! It's quite the revelation that Starbuck ends up on a basestar at some point. And I guess, others that go with her on the mission to find Earth will also find themselves there; Sharon (I guess Athena rather than Boomer, as she seems to be wearing colonial clothing) is seen pointing a gun on what also is probably a Cylon basestar. It looks fairly likely that the Demetrius (the ship that Starbuck and the others are using to search Earth) will get intercepted by this basestar at some point, otherwise it's hard to see how Kara can get a nice chat with a hybrid. Athena's promo showed her saying something like "you choose your side and stick, and don't run when things get ugly", also on a Basestar by the looks of it. I suppose this happens in the same part of the story that has Starbuck on a basestar.

In other news, according to Aaron Dougal (the chief) season 4.5 will be called season 5.

Interesting interview here with RDM and Eick about things such as how the fleet's economy and legal systems work. Very interesting stuff, and somewhat illuminating. I found RDM's admission that it was a cheat that Adama's growing acceptance of the Cylons as people rather than machines (through his interactions with Athena during the time the other colonists went down to New Caprica) happened offscreen was quite interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

There is some BSG news at this page: http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/03/last-night-the.html

The Galactica-prequel show, "Caprica", has gotten the green light for a pilot episode (allthough I doubt this will be anything like Galactica itself, due to the very different setting).

New webisodes are planned for season 4, apparently (partly) to give minor characters ( a la Racetrack, I suppose) a place in the spotlight that they couldn't have in the limited time remaining in season 4 (which is now back to a division of season 4 and 4.5, rather than there being a season 5, what's in a name anyway).

There's some more here: http://www.calendarlive.com/tv/cl-x4465.tv...0,7443510.story

Moore says that he has changed the arc for the final 10 episodes slightly during the writer's strike (I wonder in what way) and that there will be an unambiguous ending, with no room for movies or another season afterwards.

The articles I read about "Caprica" also said that Sci-fi is doing some other series that has been co-created by Rosario Dawson. Between that and her admission when she was on Conan O'Brian that she knows how to speak Klingon - man, it's just a geek fantasy come true.

I don't know that it doesn't, but the webisodes were released with Razor.

Really?

*goes to look at his Razor DVD*

Hmm.. I was thinking of The Resistance episodes. I just looked at the wikipedia page and it says they will be a part of the Season 3 DVD set. They have apparantly expanded them to make a full 'Episode Zero'.

But I did not even realize these webisodes were on this DVD. Thanks!

man, it's just a geek fantasy come true.

I thought that was when she had sex with Dante?

Hmm.. I was thinking of The Resistance episodes. I just looked at the wikipedia page and it says they will be a part of the Season 3 DVD set. It says they expanded them to make them into a full 'Episode Zero'.

But I did not even realize these webisodes were on this DVD. Thanks!

Oh yeah, :dunce: . Still, glad I could help!

Archived