Watchmen

Ser Hot Pie

I've liked Malin Ackerman (Silk Spectre II) a lot in the couple of things I've seen her in, but they've been comedies (most notably "The Heartbreak Kid" where she was very funny) so who knows how she will work out in a big, serious movie like this. I'm also not about to judge her performance from a clip or two - out of context and with such short clips it's not possible to get an idea of a whole performance. She could yet suck, I don't know, but I've now read several reviews of this film and none of them commented on her acting at all (good or bad). Had she been really bad, I'm sure it would have been noted.

I've liked Malin Ackerman (Silk Spectre II) a lot in the couple of things I've seen her in, but they've been comedies (most notably "The Heartbreak Kid" where she was very funny) so who knows how she will work out in a big, serious movie like this. I'm also not about to judge her performance from a clip or two - out of context and with such short clips it's not possible to get an idea of a whole performance. She could yet suck, I don't know, but I've now read several reviews of this film and none of them commented on her acting at all (good or bad). Had she been really bad, I'm sure it would have been noted.

Malin Ackerman was cute and all as Sloan's little threesome friend in a couple of episodes of Entourage, but I don't understand why they didn't cast Carla Gugino in for her role, instead of as the original Silk Spectre. Aren't all the Watchmen supposed to be in their late 30s or early 40s? Isn't SS2 supposed to be 35 or so?

Malin Ackerman was cute and all as Sloan's little threesome friend in a couple of episodes of Entourage, but I don't understand why they didn't cast Carla Gugino in for her role, instead of as the original Silk Spectre. Aren't all the Watchmen supposed to be in their late 30s or early 40s? Isn't SS2 supposed to be 35 or so?

In 1985 she is around 35, but I think they needed an actress who could also pull off being late teens to 20 for the brief scenes when she and Osterman first meet (in the comic she's only 16 when they first meet). Carla is too much woman to ever pass for someone that young (god bless her). I think she's a much better fit for SS-1, anyway. She's got the va-va-voom factor and curves necessary for that role. Ackerman is actually 30 or 31 now, but her look lends itself to playing younger still, if necessary.

A couple of the reviews did say that she was the weakest link in the acting stakes, but was only a bit weak compared to some of the others (Rorscharch apparently is head and shoulders the best actor in the movie, which is exactly what you want to hear). But to be honest her character has issues in the novel as well, as she is fairly reactive and doesn't really do much that isn't a direct result of her relationships with Dr. Manhattan, Nite Owl or the Comedian. So her being passive and a bit dull isn't as big a deal as, say, Billy Crudup totally screwing up Manhattan.

I guess I'll be the dissenting voice (of the past several posts mentioning it, I didn't read 8 pages of this thread) and say that I thought the Black Freighter plot was annoying and predictable. Every time I wanted to see something involving a character relevant to the plot of the comic I WANT to read, I get this idiot pirate wannabe. I got the parallels and all, but they really weren't necessary.

I found this

on youtube and thought it was well done. He took many of the scenes from previously released trailers and arranged them in the order that they appeared in the graphic novel. However if you haven't read the graphic novel then you shouldn't watch this since the end of the trailer is pretty spoilerish.

Has anyone on the board seen the motion comics that have been released on itunes? If so, were they any good?

Question to everyone: is there a midnight showing at your preferred theater? I'm getting a little nervous because it's coming out in a week and the word from the theater is "we'll see" basically. This really pisses me off because there was a huge extravaganza for the Twilight premiere here.

EDIT: Just checked cinemark for the showings that day and there's still no "12:01" like there was for Bond, Batman, star wars, twilight, etc. IN FACT, there are only two showings scheduled thus far. 4:30 and 8:10. Really? Who goes to a fucking movie on a friday at either of those times? Where's my fucking 7:30 and 9:20?

IN FACT, there are only two showings scheduled thus far. 4:30 and 8:10. Really? Who goes to a fucking movie on a friday at either of those times? Where's my fucking 7:30 and 9:20?

Well, it's a 2 1/2 hour long movie, so that means they can only show them in 3+ hour increments. I'm guessing that this theater is planning to shut down at midnight that night, or at least get their last guests out by then which is why 8:10 is the latest show. 4:30 seems too early than necessary though, that leaves 1 hour and 10 minutes between shows. Why so long? At least they could have done 5:00 I would think? Even so, 5:00 is not convenient for people who work.

Don't expect maga-buck business over the weekend since there will be so many less shows than a shorter movie would have, but it should still do pretty well.

I found this
on youtube and thought it was well done. He took many of the scenes from previously released trailers and arranged them in the order that they appeared in the graphic novel. However if you haven't read the graphic novel then you shouldn't watch this since the end of the trailer is pretty spoilerish.

Wow... I've been oscillating back and forth on what to expect from this movie (though I will of course see it either way), but that chronological set of scenes gets me really excited for the film again. It really feels faithful, even if a few things are changed.

Wish I could do a midnight showing locally, but I'll settle for Friday afternoon/evening.

Don't expect maga-buck business over the weekend since there will be so many less shows than a shorter movie would have, but it should still do pretty well.

You make sense, but there's only one theater showing it out of 14. If they want to make money surely they'd have more showings, everyone I know wants to see this film.

I just sent an email to the local cinemark (they responded the only other time I emailed them, asking if we would ever get TWBB) basically saying if necessary I'll get a petition signed or whatever and that regardless I was bringing about 40 dates opening night.

UPDATE: The site has been updated with a 12:01 showing Thursday night/Friday morning.

Question to everyone: is there a midnight showing at your preferred theater? I'm getting a little nervous because it's coming out in a week and the word from the theater is "we'll see" basically. This really pisses me off because there was a huge extravaganza for the Twilight premiere here.

Yes it is, got 'em in Imax already.

And cool fantrailer. Really like it

I've been reading an earlier draft of David Hayter's script from 2003 which I came across online somewhere. It's got some differences from what Snyder eventually shot (like it's set in 2004 and for some reason SS2 is called Slingshot and has some kinda lame powers that Dr. Manhattan gave her), but other than those changes (so far, I'm only about 1/2 way done) it's:

a) extremely faithful to the comic and

B) very, very good; really a joy to read

I won't know until I see the film what other changes might have been made between this and the shooting script, but it's possible this was very close to the final script. It's noted as a 3rd Draft and changing the time period, SS2 back to who she is in the comic and a few other very minor things to set it back to 1985 (one character's use of a cell phone, for instance) would have been doable with about a day's worth of rewrites.

Well, I finished that draft of the script I was reading and up until the very end it was very close to the GN. I think this draft was somewhere in the process where a studio exec or somebody was saying to the writers, "can't we have the villain get his comeuppance?" From all I've read about the film, it probably doesn't go there and is much more true to the original intent of the GN. Otherwise, mostly a very satisfying script.

Archived