Five Worst Books in the Last Five Years

duchess of malfi

Perdido Street Station - China Mieville

I can't see that Lunesta (sp?) sleep aid commercial now without cracking up - you know the one where the giant moth comes in the window and soothes folks to sleep?

Quicksilver - Neal Stephenson

Actually liked Cryptonomicon, but I can't seem to get past the first section of this one. Maybe I'll be able to come back to it

I'll fill spots 3-5 out with Goodkind, any title will do

hear me roar,

Sorry you didn't like Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell. I've just finished it and was utterly charmed by it. There are, however, a couple of bits towards the end that aren't as good as they could be. It doesn't really detract from the pleasure I had in the experience.

It's certainly not for everyone, though, given that it's rather rooted in the mode of 19th century literature.

Don't get me wrong. I didnt' at all find it terrible. I guess I've strayed from the topic because I wouldn't call it a worst read, it just let me down because it had a ton of hype and it started off really intriguing. Thanks for you input.

I'll join in the Fitz-hate. I wouldn't say that Hobb's books are the worst ever, but I'm unlikely to read another one after the Farseer series. I like my protagonists to do things other than whinge occasionally (and get captured, and escape, and get captured, and escape...)

For me ..The reason why I couldn't stand ASassin's aprentice was because of the way the story was told..I personally can not stand the first person POVs..I just feel like I'm in a box, Same reason why I don't like Kushiel's dart and all the other reads with the same style..

Not to mention the story in Assassin's aprentice goes no where..I really didn't care reading about Frizt standing in a cirle all day for some 50 some pages..Geez that was just painful..Plus the kid was always whining and crying.To tell you the truth I couldn't finish the story I only read half way and so i must add this one to the worst in my book list as ..I really hated the whole dog bod as well.

A Feast for Crows. It wasn’t a bad book per se. but given the high caliber of the previous three books, it was easily the most disappointing book I’ve read over the last five years. I’m concerned that the series is bogging down in its own complexities . In addition, the uncomfortably clumsy, unnecessary sex scenes. were downright embarrassing. Let’s just hope that AFFC is a brief dip into mediocrity in an otherwise awesome series.

All that being said, the day that A Dance with Dragons comes out, I’ll lock myself in my room and won’t come out until I’ve finished it

Some well-meaning tool pressed a copy of Eragon on me. I couldn't get past the first chapter - the writing was so wretched. Some one please take away this kid's PC or whatever the hell it is he writes on.

Da Vinci Code. Given to me by another friend, which is probably why I don't trust people anymore. This book is proof that no one ever went broke under-estimating the taste and intelligence of the American public.

I just started reading a mystery called Booked to Die. The amount of exposition is staggering - how did this shit even get published?

Which ever Anita Blake book where she goes to rescue Richard, the world's stupidest werewolf from a jail in Bumfuck Tennessee. Hamilton's Mary Sue tendencies and obsessions with hair and wardrobe had finally reached a point with me where I couldn't take anymore. I had to give away all the books in the series, even the ones I hadn't read after that one.

The first Honor Harrington book, whatever it is. Now I know in hard SF and military fiction, you have to explain how the toys work. But this author was so excited about how his toys work that he would let everything slam to a halt while he explained how each toy worked. Way to piss all over your momentum dickhead.

Baby Jesus weeps tears of pain to the Dreamers by David and Leigh eddings. i nominate all 4 books in the series as a crime against all humanity.

No good character is ever in any danger, nor any doubt is there of a winning outcome. ever.

The enemy is stupid and weak and the plot tedious.

the ending... my god, worst ending ever. makes the ending of the Dark Tower by steven King look good...

in fact, i probably should start a thread on it i hate it so much =(

Baby Jesus weeps tears of pain to the Dreamers by David and Leigh eddings. i nominate all 4 books in the series as a crime against all humanity.

No good character is ever in any danger, nor any doubt is there of a winning outcome. ever.

the ending... my god, worst ending ever. makes the ending of the Dark Tower by steven King look good...

Am I to take your word over the word of Harriet Klausner?

--- --- --- --- ---

13 of 27 people found the following review helpful:

**** Fine opening of a new fantasy, October 16, 2003

By Harriet Klausner - See all my reviews

Four Gods commanding a specific directional point each control the Land of Dhrall and its people. Brothers dominate north and south while sisters rule east and west. However, in the center where the compass converges lies That-Called-The-Vlagh, a creature not under godly power with ambitions to conquer the land.

The deity quartet raise children to become dreamers to fulfill the prophecy that claims one who would defeat That-Called-The-Vlagh will come. As the latest cycle comes to a close, only the Dreamers can save the day, but meanwhile as the Gods wait for the right time the foursome raises a human army to combat That-Called-The-Vlagh and his horde.

The opening book of the four-novel set The Dreamers sets the stage for what could prove to be a strong series centering on the recycling of life and death. However, THE ELDER GODS spends so much time setting the table, no one dines. Instead the wide cast especially the Gods pontificate with soliloquies. Still the potential for a powerhouse has been placed in motion so that it appears the action will step forward and readers will end up with a feast. Please do as I say, not as I do or feel, by being patient.

Harriet Klausner

Am I to take your word over the word of Harriet Klausner?

--- --- --- --- ---

13 of 27 people found the following review helpful:

**** Fine opening of a new fantasy, October 16, 2003

By Harriet Klausner - See all my reviews

Four Gods commanding a specific directional point each control the Land of Dhrall and its people. Brothers dominate north and south while sisters rule east and west. However, in the center where the compass converges lies That-Called-The-Vlagh, a creature not under godly power with ambitions to conquer the land.

The deity quartet raise children to become dreamers to fulfill the prophecy that claims one who would defeat That-Called-The-Vlagh will come. As the latest cycle comes to a close, only the Dreamers can save the day, but meanwhile as the Gods wait for the right time the foursome raises a human army to combat That-Called-The-Vlagh and his horde.

The opening book of the four-novel set The Dreamers sets the stage for what could prove to be a strong series centering on the recycling of life and death. However, THE ELDER GODS spends so much time setting the table, no one dines. Instead the wide cast especially the Gods pontificate with soliloquies. Still the potential for a powerhouse has been placed in motion so that it appears the action will step forward and readers will end up with a feast. Please do as I say, not as I do or feel, by being patient.

Harriet Klausner

for the sake of your soul i pray you do =-(

massive spoilers here

SPOILER: the miserable series ending

Essentially, they didn't even have to fight at all, as an omni-powered being just wipes out the enemy via time travell, undoes everything that had happened except a marriage, and basically screws over the loyal mercenaries they hired. Not that he needed to do any of this, as they were kicking the vlagh's arse anyway without any real setbacks. a big setback lasts about 2 pages then is quashed... my god, i feel my hate rising already...

I'll have to second this nomination. Just. Awful. And I consider myself to be something of an Eddings apologist (come on, people, you loved The Belgariad when you were teenagers - have a little nostalgia). The fact remains that I couldn't get through the first book of that horrible abortion of a series.

So that gives me four more books. I know, I'll nominate another book I couldn't get through, one that will probably result in some hurt feelings: The Amber Spyglass. Utter shite. Seriously.

For the remaining three I'll cop out and, like somebody else did already, urge you to insert your least favorite SoT books here.

For me ..The reason why I couldn't stand ASassin's aprentice was because of the way the story was told..I personally can not stand the first person POVs..I just feel like I'm in a box, Same reason why I don't like Kushiel's dart and all the other reads with the same style..

Not to mention the story in Assassin's aprentice goes no where..I really didn't care reading about Frizt standing in a cirle all day for some 50 some pages..Geez that was just painful..Plus the kid was always whining and crying.To tell you the truth I couldn't finish the story I only read half way and so i must add this one to the worst in my book list as ..I really hated the whole dog bod as well.

Wow....really?

It was eagerly my most anticipated book ever(apart from the WoT fiasco, that of which i refuse to speak), and i loved it.

The first read was a smidge dissapointing, as some of my favourite characters didn't get a look in, it had been a long time since i'd read the previous installment, and so a little confusion telling who was who, but on the re-read i was loving every page.

For me, during the series found myself thinking exactly how one could go from peace-loving peasant to ruthless murderer at the drop of the proverbial hat, even though history is littered with simlar atrocities.

Septon Meribald's monolgue really struck a chord, and made the ASoIAF that much more real in a few pages.

One of the highlights of the series for me, i never go past it without reading it a few times.

Magic.

Archived