Brandon Sanderson to Complete Wheel of Time

Ebenstone

There is one sneaky way for RJ to have done it...Taim could have been killed by Black Sisters in the Borderlands when he was captured...and the Taim at the Black Tower is an imposter...So it would be completely correct that Taim is not at the Black Tower...because he has been dead from the beginning...

Except we get a POV from Demandred during the cleansing of Saidan and he does not recognize some of the Asha'men. If he had been posing as Taim (even under the stretched definition that you mention) he would have recognized Flinn and some of the others.

• 2 weeks later...

This was my reply:

The evolution in Sanderson's writing between Elantris and Mistborn is encouraging, and if he brings that greater maturity and style to work on WoT, we could be in for a good book.

Having just started my first WoT re-read in eight years, one of the things I'd forgotten about the series is its immense depth. Jordan created a world with tremendous detail of history and setting, and I think there are plenty of tales that could have been told against this backdrop by RJ and other writers (with his permission and approval) if he had lived. It's a great playground to write in, and I think Sanderson will pull it off. It would have been preferable for RJ to have done it, but Sanderson was my own first choice for it, so I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with it.

Yeah, maybe I'm being too optimistic, but given how RJ lost control of the material in the last few books I think there's a good chance we could end up with a better book than if RJ had finished it himself. I know that's heresy to some, but a fresh perspective and view, coupled with RJ's notes and helped out by RJ's own assistants, could pull this off.

Yeah, maybe I'm being too optimistic, but given how RJ lost control of the material in the last few books I think there's a good chance we could end up with a better book than if RJ had finished it himself. I know that's heresy to some, but a fresh perspective and view, coupled with RJ's notes and helped out by RJ's own assistants, could pull this off.

:agree:

I also wonder if there were any clauses that would allow other authors to "play" in the world, or if it is now in effect dead after MoL. Or could Sanderson come back and write in the world if he wanted?

:agree:

I also wonder if there were any clauses that would allow other authors to "play" in the world, or if it is now in effect dead after MoL. Or could Sanderson come back and write in the world if he wanted?

I think the WoT world is big and detailed enough that other people could have explored it quite interestingly. A historical trilogy on Artur Hawkwing, fully approved and edited by Robert Jordan, could have been cool.

However, with Jordan's death I would say that such things - new fiction based on the WoT world - shouldn't be attempted out of respect. RJ himself didn't want his world to end up like Conan, which he admitted was deeply ironic and possibly hypocritical at the time.

I believe that Sanderson is only confirmed to be finishing off A Memory of Light. However, Jordan apparently left behind detailed notes and information for the three 'outrigger' books, which took place during and after the main WoT series, and also for the two other prequel books (which were supposed to follow on from New Spring). IIRC, the two prequels are actually still under contract to Tor, and if they aren't written then the Jordan estate might have to refund the advances to Tor. So I think there's a good chance that those two prequels will be completed as well, possibly by Sanderson. Certainly the outriggers could be done as well.

Beyond that, the material and notes prepared by Jordan dry up, and I think that should be an end to it.

Elantris was so so at best but the two Mistborn books had that something more.

Yeah. Elantris had interesting ideas, but wasn't that great. Mistborn showed a HUGE improvement in his writing. It's why I'm excited about the guy. He's still improving, I wanna see where he goes.

I believe that Sanderson is only confirmed to be finishing off A Memory of Light. However, Jordan apparently left behind detailed notes and information for the three 'outrigger' books, which took place during and after the main WoT series, and also for the two other prequel books (which were supposed to follow on from New Spring). IIRC, the two prequels are actually still under contract to Tor, and if they aren't written then the Jordan estate might have to refund the advances to Tor. So I think there's a good chance that those two prequels will be completed as well, possibly by Sanderson. Certainly the outriggers could be done as well.

I'd heard about the prequels: New Spring, Tam's discovery of Rand and the Moiraine/Lan journey to the Two Rivers. But it's news to me that there was talk about other novels. I was actually more interested in the possible second Moiraine/Lan prequel than KOD and (later) MOL. So if Jordan left detailed notes and Sanderson's MOL is an entertaining read, I'd buy his versions of the remaining prequels/mid-quels(?)/sequels. But I agree that that should be the end of it, though a collection of Jordan's notes could be interesting from the point of view of seeing how he approached worldbuilding and keeping track of who was doing or supposed to do what.

Artur Hawkwing was a pawn of Ishamael and his story is part of the buildup to the series. I don't think it would be a good idea to let another author write about him. Tam al'Thor's story needs to be told but only if RJ left notes detailed enough for another author do do it. Likewise, I hope we get the story of Tigraine, the Andoran succession, Rand's birth and the role the Aes Sedai played in the whole affair (especially Gitara and Verin). I don't have very high hopes, though.

Artur Hawkwing was a pawn of Ishamael and his story is part of the buildup to the series. I don't think it would be a good idea to let another author write about him. Tam al'Thor's story needs to be told but only if RJ left notes detailed enough for another author do do it. Likewise, I hope we get the story of Tigraine, the Andoran succession, Rand's birth and the role the Aes Sedai played in the whole affair (especially Gitara and Verin). I don't have very high hopes, though.

Hawkwing's story is fascinating, and the revelations about him were the highlight of the Big White Book (although my worldbuilding sensibilities are irritated that we didn't get a map of Hawkwing's Empire showing the provinces and where the capital was). It's a very rich period and a great story could be made out of it, but agreed, unless RJ left information behind specifically to do that, I don't think it's a good idea.

So beyond A Memory of Light it looks like there's material to do at least 5 books:

Prequel #2: The story of Tam al'Thor, presumably taking in his leaving the Two Rivers as a kid, joining the Illianer Companions, fighting in the Whitecloak War and the various Tear-Illian border wars, rising to the rank of Second Captain, fighting in the Aiel War and then buggering off home.

Prequel #3: Lan and Moiraine's journeys after New Spring, leading up to why both they and the Shadowspawn showed up at the same time in Emond's Field.

Outrigger #1: Unconfirmed. Possibly the Adventures of the Band of the Red Hand, explaining what they got up to after parting company with Egwene in Book 8 and meeting up with Mat in Book 11, including their misadventures serving King Roedran of Murandy. Jordan left a big clue in Book 11 he was thinking of this when the Band started filling Mat in on their adventure and he replied, "This sounds pretty long, fill me in later."

Outrigger #2: No idea.

Outrigger #3: The adventures of Tuon and Mat as the struggle to rebuild Seanchan, ten years after the Last Battle. It sounds like Jordan was planning to start work on this after AMoL.

Something I'd also be interested in seeing is Jordan's notes for Infinity of Heaven. It sounds like it could have been intriguing, and it's a shame we didn't see what RJ could have done with his more experienced prose skills when applied to a completely new world and setting.

I think Sanderson will do a good job, more than halfway through Hero of the Ages and I REALLY like what he's doing and things he's hinting even this late in the game. I'll be re-reading all of WOT (like all of us) before the final book comes out.

Something I'd also be interested in seeing is Jordan's notes for Infinity of Heaven. It sounds like it could have been intriguing, and it's a shame we didn't see what RJ could have done with his more experienced prose skills when applied to a completely new world and setting.

When RJ died I knew that we'd see the conclusion (in some form or another) of WoT, and I didn't care all that much about the prequels or outriggers, but I was sad to lose any possibility of seeing Infinity of Heaven.

I think Sanderson will do a good job, more than halfway through Hero of the Ages and I REALLY like what he's doing and things he's hinting even this late in the game. I'll be re-reading all of WOT (like all of us) before the final book comes out.

I can't wait to get my hands on this book.

Agreed. I was very interested in seeing how Jordan's style would have evolved/differed with the new series, especially since I believe he said something about the main protagonist of Infinity of Heaven being an older, more mature and experienced character than Rand and company. Personally, I'd much rather see a book of notes on this project and the others published rather than getting Sanderson or someone else to write the prequels and outriggers.

Agreed. I was very interested in seeing how Jordan's style would have evolved/differed with the new series, especially since I believe he said something about the main protagonist of Infinity of Heaven being an older, more mature and experienced character than Rand and company. Personally, I'd much rather see a book of notes on this project and the others published rather than getting Sanderson or someone else to write the prequels and outriggers.

I actually think we won't hear anything about IoH, because otherwise another author can just take the idea and change it a bit. I don't think you can protect it.

:thumbsup:

I also hope BS will rewrite all the WoT books: too many characters/plots/subplots/descriptions etc.

I also hope BS will write countless WoT novels. Based on outlines, of course.

Frank Herbert wrote a detailed outline for "Dune 7" and he left extensive "Dune 7 notes," as well as stored boxes of his descriptions, epigraphs, chapters, character backgrounds, historical notes -- over a thousand pages worth.

But, there are those who see conspiracies around every corner. As to whether Brian and I are making up the very existence of the Dune 7 outline -- our editors have read Frank's original outline, our publisher has read it, as did Frank's editor at Ace/Putnam back when he originally sold the book. To the left, I'm posting copies of the actual IBM diskettes containing the files, with the labels "Dune 7 Outline" and "Dune 7 Notes" in Frank Herbert's own handwriting. (Will this convince any of the conspiracy crazies? Probably not. They don't *want* to accept an explanation.)

Then he will finish/rewrite ASoIaF, you know, too many characters/plots/subplots/descriptions etc.

By the way, LotR is very boring/long, maybe BS will rewrite it someday ...

:thumbsup:

I also hope BS will rewrite all the WoT books: too many characters/plots/subplots/descriptions etc.

I also hope BS will write countless WoT novels. Based on outlines, of course.

Frank Herbert wrote a detailed outline for "Dune 7" and he left extensive "Dune 7 notes," as well as stored boxes of his descriptions, epigraphs, chapters, character backgrounds, historical notes -- over a thousand pages worth.

But, there are those who see conspiracies around every corner. As to whether Brian and I are making up the very existence of the Dune 7 outline -- our editors have read Frank's original outline, our publisher has read it, as did Frank's editor at Ace/Putnam back when he originally sold the book. To the left, I'm posting copies of the actual IBM diskettes containing the files, with the labels "Dune 7 Outline" and "Dune 7 Notes" in Frank Herbert's own handwriting. (Will this convince any of the conspiracy crazies? Probably not. They don't *want* to accept an explanation.)

Then he will finish/rewrite ASoIaF, you know, too many characters/plots/subplots/descriptions etc.

By the way, LotR is very boring/long, maybe BS will rewrite it someday ...

False comparison. Herbert and Anderson's lies about the notes being detailed were exposed when they admitted that Frank Herbert's notes didn't even tell them who the 'Great Enemy' was in the latter Dune books, so they created Omnius and Erasmus out of thin air to serve that purpose. Up until then I gave them the full benefit of the doubt. The books were horrendously badly-written but at least I assumed the events were canon, that Frank Herbert had outlined and intended them to happen. Then we found out he didn't. No doubt there are background files on characters and events in the books, no doubt Herbert intended to bring the other gholas back and no doubt the machines would have been involvd somehow, but if the alleged notes didn't even contain information on who the specific antagonists of the series are, then the authors' other claims have to be taken with a grain of salt.

My preference would be for Jordan's notes to be released in a Christopher Tolkien-style volume so we know what events were going to take place and what the real canon is. A Memory of Light's canonical status is going to be debated as fiercely as much as The Silmarillion's still is in some circles thirty years later, but at least with The Silmarillion we also have access to the raw texts (published in the HoME series) to decide how to judge it.

As for the other outrigger novels, it has been suggested that some of them are already contracted and if they aren't written Harriet will have to pay Tor back the money. Rather than see that, I'd rather see the books, especially if we get the notes separately published later on so we can see for ourselves how to judge them.

My preference would be for Jordan's notes to be released in a Christopher Tolkien-style volume so we know what events were going to take place and what the real canon is. A Memory of Light's canonical status is going to be debated as fiercely as much as The Silmarillion's still is in some circles thirty years later, but at least with The Silmarillion we also have access to the raw texts (published in the HoME series) to decide how to judge it.

From what I understood from BS was that all events that were going to happen were in the notes.

Jordan even left exact notes about which people are with which characters. For example RJ had a file of 120 two rivers people who are with Perrin, which were not named before. He even had some small characteristics with it.

I asked about the gabs and the things that are missing. You can compair it with the Eye of the World, the scene in the inn with the Darkfriend attacking them. The next time in the notes you see Mat and Rand is in Caemlyn. So I actually think the gabs aren't that much.

And when RJ knew it was not going well (a few days before his dead) he dictated a lot of things about the world we didn't previously knew.

I think the only things contested will be the smaller details. Although I hope Harriet will allow a companion book.

I think the only things contested will be the smaller details. Although I hope Harriet will allow a companion book.

I thought Jordan had said that there was going to be an updated version of The Guide (the big white book) upon completion of the series. I would think that with all the available notes and dictation, that would make an ideal medium to pass along the raw information.

I thought Jordan had said that there was going to be an updated version of The Guide (the big white book) upon completion of the series. I would think that with all the available notes and dictation, that would make an ideal medium to pass along the raw information.

Jordan previously said that Harriet was going to adapt his notes into something called The Wheel of Time Encyclopedia. This would contain a 1,000-word lexicon of the Old Tongue, new maps and information on every character, event and concept to appear or be referenced in the series.

Since Jordan's passing, I do not believe the Encyclopedia has been mentioned again, although from Jordan's comments it sounded like Harriet had already started work on it. So I guess it's up to Harriet if she wants to finish it off and release it.

Archived