2008 College Football

Rhom

Was just reading tidbits and this caught my interest.

Georgia Tech and the triple option offense. What is it? Apparently a modernized version of an old offense, I get that, but more specifically? Opinions about it being successful at GT or not?

Georgia Tech and the triple option offense. What is it? Apparently a modernized version of an old offense, I get that, but more specifically? Opinions about it being successful at GT or not?

Did you watch any Navy games last year? That is the offense they will run under Paul Johnson. Will it work. I hope not. I hope GT loses every fucking game they play......especially the last one of the season each year.....badly.

I'm not exactly sure what Paul Johnson's version of the triple option is but Navy has led in rushing yards in.. let me wiki it,

Much of Johnson's success has been predicated on his triple option flexbone offense, a run oriented attack that has led NCAA Division I-A/FBS football in rushing yards three of the last four years. Some have criticized the triple option as an antiquated, unbalanced system unfit for major college football, which may explain some BCS teams' reluctance to offer him a position despite his accomplishments at both Georgia Southern and Navy. Johnson has rebutted this argument in numerous press conferences and interviews, asserting that several top teams, including 2005-2006 national champion Texas and 2006-2007 national champion Florida, use various forms of the option. He has repeatedly stated that the superior athletes in power conferences could help the triple option flourish.

This will be one of the non-BCS bowl things that I'll be keeping an eye during the season. His offense will be somewhat of an experiment. I don't think anyone knows for sure if his success at Navy will translate to an ACC conference team. It'll be tough for him. I don't know if he has the right players for his system and if he doesn't perform right away, he may get a lot of flak from fans and the media.

This will be one of the non-BCS bowl things that I'll be keeping an eye during the season. His offense will be somewhat of an experiment. I don't think anyone knows for sure if his success at Navy will translate to an ACC conference team. It'll be tough for him. I don't know if he has the right players for his system and if he doesn't perform right away, he may get a lot of flak from fans and the media.

Well, honestly the ACC needs something. Let me preface this by saying: I'm not baiting ACC fans here...... But I've never seen such a great idea with such great potential fall flat on it's face like the ACC has in football since it expanded. What a lukewarm group the ACC is. They need the Florida schools to tighten up big time. There is absolutely no excuse for a school like Florida State or Miami to be stale for as long as they have. Per Capita, and maybe even in actual numbers, the best football players in the country come out of the south and a big portion of that is Florida. The ACC is 1-9 in BCS play, and it's been a while. Somebody needs to step it the fuck up, if I didn't hate all of them I'd be embarrassed for them. GT oughtta get at least a few years pass to try and make that work. Shit, I could go on and on. What the hell is Clemson's problem? They are consistently in the top 25 pre-season and they consistently blow it. Ton's of talent and can't make it happen. The story of the ACC, it's baffling.

What I am interested in debating is this: Who do you think will be on the cover of NCAA Football 2009????

Should be Patrick White. He's proven himself again and again. Without a doubt one of the best college players of the last 3 years.

Did you watch any Navy games last year? That is the offense they will run under Paul Johnson. Will it work. I hope not. I hope GT loses every fucking game they play......especially the last one of the season each year.....badly.

Nah, I imagine that's one reason for my ignorance. I don't recall it from the past either, wondering if went out of style before my time or if I'm just not recognizing the name.

I hope GT loses every fucking game they play......especially the last one of the season each year.....badly.

Haha, yeah, I bet. :)

This will be one of the non-BCS bowl things that I'll be keeping an eye during the season. His offense will be somewhat of an experiment.

Yeah, me too. I gather it's run heavy. Still uncertain what the triple option is though.

Sunday Morning QB has a great post that goes into a lot of detail about Johnson's Flexbone offense. It has a lot of running middle or to each side from the main formation. its a very confusing offense that makes the defense guess wrong and give up a big play.

To that, I'll only add that Navy led the nation in yards per pass attempt in 2005 and was one of the scant few teams in the country above nine yards per attempt three of the last four years, not because Johnson's quarterbacks were particularly good passers - they weren't, and with Josh Nesbitt and Calvin Booker vying for the job, likely won't be at Tech, either, at least right away - but because defenses were so woefully out of position after a couple dozen consecutive option runs.

Finally got around to checking out Buffalo's out of conference schedule for next year, and I guess in a sign that teams no longer think we're total cupcakes (or maybe a sign that our AD thinks we have a decent chance of winning the MAC next year and doesn't want 4 sure losses) our only "show off games" for big opponents are Pittsburgh and Missouri. Our other OOC games are UTEP (not entirely sure who they are) and Army. And the MAC is the... well, its the MAC.

We're coming off our best I-A season ever (5-7!), 20 of our starters are returning, Turner Gill is totally jiving with the team, we got some decent (for us) incoming freshman, and for the first time in I think ever there is real school spirit. I think the MAC East is ours.

Kinda bummed that I'll miss the whole season (maybe Missouri will be televised, maybe) and be studying abroad in England.

Finally got around to checking out Buffalo's out of conference schedule for next year, and I guess in a sign that teams no longer think we're total cupcakes (or maybe a sign that our AD thinks we have a decent chance of winning the MAC next year and doesn't want 4 sure losses) our only "show off games" for big opponents are Pittsburgh and Missouri. Our other OOC games are UTEP (not entirely sure who they are) and Army. And the MAC is the... well, its the MAC.

We're coming off our best I-A season ever (5-7!), 20 of our starters are returning, Turner Gill is totally jiving with the team, we got some decent (for us) incoming freshman, and for the first time in I think ever there is real school spirit. I think the MAC East is ours.

Kinda bummed that I'll miss the whole season (maybe Missouri will be televised, maybe) and be studying abroad in England.

I'm not sure how it's done in the MAC, perhaps you all leave slots open longer, but for most schools the schedules are set years in advance. That said, Pitt and Missouri are nothing to sneeze at. Missouri is expected to contend for the Big XII and possibly national title, and Pitt is expected to be much improved. Pitt lost a lot of close games last year, and with a lot of guys coming back some analysts have predicted they might be a contender to win the Big East (Christ, I hope not). Anyway, a good showing against either of those two would be huge. Maybe you all will be 2008's Appalachian State.

I'm not sure how it's done in the MAC, perhaps you all leave slots open longer, but for most schools the schedules are set years in advance. That said, Pitt and Missouri are nothing to sneeze at. Missouri is expected to contend for the Big XII and possibly national title, and Pitt is expected to be much improved. Pitt lost a lot of close games last year, and with a lot of guys coming back some analysts have predicted they might be a contender to win the Big East (Christ, I hope not). Anyway, a good showing against either of those two would be huge. Maybe you all will be 2008's Appalachian State.

Maybe it was, but I do remember back in Jan. they were making a big deal about 'unveiling the schedule' though I didn't pay attention to it then. I do know though that they were acting like it was breaking news. On the other hand I remember before last season there was some news (even hit backpage NYT I think) about how we broke off a deal to play one game for another that gave us an extra $500,000. So I dunno, all I know is that I didn't know it until today.

Believe me, I know Missouri and Pitt are in all likelyhood losses. Hopefully though it will be like our game against Penn State last year where we only down 7-3 at the half, and forced them to put in their banged up stars who they wanted to rest after a dogfight the week before. We did end up losing something like 34-10, but that also made us the first team in 3 weeks to score a touchdown on them. So it was moral victory (and since at that point we were 1-4, we thought that was all we would get, like always)

Its Army and UTEP (really where is that?) that I think we have the possibility of winning. As for the MAC, sure we went 5-7 overall, but the record was 5-3 in the MAC, which I think we can manage again. Pick up either Army or UTEP, or do just a bit better in the MAC, and viola! our first bowl game ever. And if I remember correctly 2 of the 3 bowl games that MAC teams can play in are against winners of other lowly midmajor conferences, so maybe even our first bowl win!

And once again I just want to say, I am soooo glad Nebraska didn't take Turner Gill away from us.

Sunday Morning QB has a great post that goes into a lot of detail about Johnson's Flexbone offense. It has a lot of running middle or to each side from the main formation. its a very confusing offense that makes the defense guess wrong and give up a big play.

Hey, thanks Gold Storm, that was a good breakdown. :)

Its Army and UTEP (really where is that?) that I think we have the possibility of winning. As for the MAC, sure we went 5-7 overall, but the record was 5-3 in the MAC, which I think we can manage again. Pick up either Army or UTEP, or do just a bit better in the MAC, and viola! our first bowl game ever. And if I remember correctly 2 of the 3 bowl games that MAC teams can play in are against winners of other lowly midmajor conferences, so maybe even our first bowl win!

And once again I just want to say, I am soooo glad Nebraska didn't take Turner Gill away from us.

Those are definately winnable games. And UTEP is University of Texas, El Paso.

Oh- I love it in all of it's forms. The option is a thing of beauty- especially the flexbone variety which relies heavily on misdirection. The last sustained "big school" success was probably Nebraska's multi-option attack of the Mid 90's (how they miss Osborne). WV has been running a lot of spread-option of late, but that's probably going to be coming to an end fairly soon.

The base triple option is exactly what it sounds like. It's a run formation with 3 options- dive- keep - and pitch. Offensively, the idea is to attack the weakest link based on defensive alignment. Defensively, it's all about discipline. Everyone has an assignment, if you get beat at the first level, chances are that someone is going to be running free in the secondary.

I think GT will have success in a year or two. They will pull better athletes than Air Force, Navy and even WV. Right now, they probably have the wrong pieces (primarily O-line), but in a couple of recruiting classes they are going to be dangerous. One of the big advantages is that in most conferences, you're only going to see an option attack once a year. If you mix in enough wrinkles and have the right athletes, you have the potential to shock some teams, especially early on in the season.

My knowledge of the option pretty much stems from NCAA Football '97. A buddy of mine and I sat there in the dorm and played a two player co-operative dynasty with Michigan State that basically consisted of "Option left... option right... option left... option right." The few teams that use the flexbone set in those games always had confusing as hell plays and I never was able to use them effectively though.

I'm 100% with you on the disappointment of the ACC in football. I don't suppose any of us should really be surprised though... didn't FSU go something crazy like 15 years without losing a home conference game? It didn't bode well for the depth of the conference as a whole.

My knowledge of the option pretty much stems from NCAA Football '97. A buddy of mine and I sat there in the dorm and played a two player co-operative dynasty with Michigan State that basically consisted of "Option left... option right... option left... option right." The few teams that use the flexbone set in those games always had confusing as hell plays and I never was able to use them effectively though.

I'm 100% with you on the disappointment of the ACC in football. I don't suppose any of us should really be surprised though... didn't FSU go something crazy like 15 years without losing a home conference game? It didn't bode well for the depth of the conference as a whole.

I'm in the camp that conference strength is cyclical. The ACC will get back, though when is a matter of debate. I don't know about Miami or FSU but Butch Davis at UNC should be able to turn that program around.

Just read in the paper today that tickets for Nebraska's spring game are sold out. I'm really pissed because they never sold them in advance before. You pretty much just showed up, paid 5 bucks, and were let in. Now I'm probably going to miss it for the first time in quite a few years.

:cry:

Kenny Lewis out for 4-6 months

Cheeseman break fibula

Now keep in mind we just had to cut Branden Ore, the starting RB, a few weeks ago. So we've lost our three top tailbacks in less than one month of offseason. Tyrod Taylor is another running threat for us, but he's actually missing the spring game as well.

The second article mentions plans to run Greg Boone from the backfield, obviously a FB. That sounds great in the article when they call him the "278-lb Greg Boone" but I can't help but think it just means he never should have been our tight end in the first place and really isn't first string material.

I'd be interested to see Dustin Pickle get some carries though. He's got one of those walk-on done good stories that get stale after you've heard it the first couple dozen times, but he does a great job for on special teams. He really does give 100% on every play and by the end of the season teams were regularly double teaming him on punt and kickoff coverages. Still, he's small and it will mostly come down to the two freshman RB's. Here's hoping they learn quickly and that Lewis and Cheeseman recover even quicker.

Did anyone else end up watching the Florida spring game last week on ESPN? I didn't mean to... but I was flipping through the guide channel and it said "College Gameday" and then the next box was "College Football" and I was intrigued. I know that I should have better things to be doing with my weekend, but I found myself sitting down and watching the pointless meandering for about an hour and a half. It was worse than an XFL game!

That said, I'm considering heading up to Lexington this weekend to see the Blue-White game at Kentucky for the first time ever. Its more a function of my boredom than any real belief that the team can survive the loss of pretty much every skill position player and rise above the level of mediocrity that has always been their cap.

Archived