2008 College Football

Rhom

What I hate is when you get bowls that don't get their own names, like the Meinke Car Care Bowl. That's just stupid. Every bowl is entitled to a real name of its own, then the sponsor can get stuck on top.

Completely agree. I think there was some xxx.furniture.com Bowl a few year back. WTF????

I need some help. I need someone to explain something to me. I have seen some list of top 2009 players for the NFL draft. They assume that some juniors may enter the draft. The top QB and one of the top players is Tim Tebow. Please explain this to me. How? I will admit the guy is awesome. He is big, strong, fast, smart, a good leader, etc., but I do not see him as a NFL QB. He benefits some b/c of the system that Florida plays. That system does not work in the NFL. Is my hatred of the Gators blinding me? He has a strong arm, but not NFL strong. Slow to get rid of the ball. Does not throw the prettiest ball. Do not get me wrong, I think he is a great college player. Hell, one of the best. I just do not see him taking his talent to be a NFL QB. Maybe a RB or FB or TE or LB. Maybe some of our Gator fans can help me see the light.

Let me see if I can clear up your red & black colored glasses....actually I agree with you for the most part. Trying to figure out who will be a good pro QB is a crapshoot in most cases and Tebow runs a system no one uses in the pros. I think he has a better chance of being a good pro QB than Wuerffel, but I thought Grossman would be better than he is.

The word out of Florida's spring practice is that Urban et al. focused mainly on diversifying the offense so that it's more than just Tebow and Harvin. Harvin was out injured almost all of spring practice and Chris Rainey really stepped up. He's faster than Harvin and is great in the open field. Deonte Thompson, a redshirt freshman WR, also looks like he'll be a keeper. None of the running backs showed that much improvement. The transfer from USC, Emmanuel Moody, has a case of fumbleitis and still doesn't know the offense that well. The running game should be better, but how much better is anybody's guess. Urban also ran a lot of no huddle and two tight end sets.

Based on last year's offense Tebow probably won't be a good QB in the pros. I read he looked very sharp for most of spring practice and we should get a better idea of his pro potential this season if the offensive changes work and Tebow doesn't have to carry the whole load.

Only 122 days until kick off....................

Thanks for the opinions on Tebow.

Ryan Perrilloux has been kicked off the LSU football team. He was given plenty of chances at LSU to be a part of that team. I guess he just could not get his act together.

I saw that article today too. Damn shame. The kid had a lot of potential, its amazing just how determined some people are to **** up their own lives.

I saw that article today too. Damn shame. The kid had a lot of potential, its amazing just how determined some people are to **** up their own lives.

I think that this is one of those classic cases were a kid has been given a pass since Middle School and given several chances at LSU he felt bulletproof and did not think they would punish him for breaking teams rules again and again.

The UGA vs. Arizona St game is going to be televised on ABC Saturday Night Football. Over half the country will get the game. I am really looking forward to that game. I have a few buddies that have tickets and have made plans to fly out there. Staying close to the stadium. I may have to join them.

The UGA vs. Arizona St game is going to be televised on ABC Saturday Night Football. Over half the country will get the game. I am really looking forward to that game. I have a few buddies that have tickets and have made plans to fly out there. Staying close to the stadium. I may have to join them.

That'll be a good one. My instinct tells me that Georgia will whip them.

I really want to go to Auburn @ West Virginia. It's sold out though and the cheapest tickets I saw, that weren't terrible seats, were $158. Thats fucking expensive, but I really might go for it. I have family in Morgantown, so lodging will be free... and beers are cheap there, I could probably do the trip for $250 including the ticket and gas. I also want to go to the same game @ Auburn in 2009, never been there.

:cry:

that IS expensive. i really want to go, though...badly. how's the home crowd treat away crowds up there, SJ?

if you come to auburn the next year, we can grab some beers before and after the game :D

auburn treats away fans very well, IMO...unless you are florida or usc. i saw several altercations a few years ago when usc came to auburn. i was very disappointed in us. florida gets it because the swamp is a horrific place to be a visiting team/fans.

:cry:

that IS expensive. i really want to go, though...badly. how's the home crowd treat away crowds up there, SJ?

if you come to auburn the next year, we can grab some beers before and after the game :D

auburn treats away fans very well, IMO...unless you are florida or usc. i saw several altercations a few years ago when usc came to auburn. i was very disappointed in us. florida gets it because the swamp is a horrific place to be a visiting team/fans.

West Virginia has a spotty reputation, but Auburn fans will be fine in Morgantown. We don't have any grudges against you guys. I've been to a lot of games there and the only time things got hairy was with VT or Miami fans. Even still, I've never seen a fight or anything like that. I had season tickets last year and the only team whose fans took a lot of shit at Mountaineer field was Louisville, but thats to be expected.

Anyway, of course theres probably going to be an off color comment from a student or a drunk redneck, but I'd be willing to bet that Auburn fans will be able to wander the tailgate's freely. Last year, we actually had a Louisville fan tailgate with us for a while. This chick just rolls straight through the parking lot in a Louisville sweatshirt, in the midst of 100,000 WVU fans (a lot of fans come to tailgate and don't even go in), everyone yells , 'hey, what the fuck are you doing here! have a beer!' I think thats the sort of thing you can expect. If you do go let me know, I'll fill you in on the bars and if I can make it myself a few beers will certainly be in order.

Edit: this is unrelated, but its a funny story, (not sure if its true but I like it). When I lived in Morgantown my boss told me a story about how back in the 80's or 90's Miami had a December night game at West Virginia, and the forecast called for the high temperature the be 5 degrees or something rediculous like that. Well apparently Miami, unused to those conditions, tried to buy some of those giant heaters to put on their sideline. They called all these places in West Virginia, who all claimed to be 'sold out'. They even tried up into Pennsylvania, in Pitt territory, and we're told the same thing! In the end the nearest place they could find to buy them was Columbus, Ohio. Thats how much everyone hated Miami. Even Pitt would not sell them heaters to play West Virginia and Pitt hates us. In fact, when I butt heads with VT fans around here the one thing we can always come to agree on is that we hate Miami. :lol:

This is true. I have never had an issue at Auburn and I have been to quite a few UGA vs. Auburn games there. I think I will probably go this year also. It is a pretty campus, fun tailgating, loud stadium.....a good time. Maybe I enjoy it so much b/c we are usually beating Auburn on the road :) :) :)

Mmmm, smack. Excellent.

In a video posted by a fan at youtube.com and linked at www.uhnd.com about the spring game, Weis made a speech to fans and claimed the Wolverines would make excuses about their new coaching regime under Rich Rodriguez.

"I always been one to never make excuses and not go about airing it," Weis said. "We're going to start on September 6 with San Diego State. I think that the first opportunity we're really gonna have to make a statement is that day.

"And then we'll listen to Michigan have all their excuses as they come running in and saying how they have a new coaching staff and there's changes. To hell with Michigan!"

Michigan and their fans can say how RR did not recruit those players. That is 4 years of excuse making. ND knows all about that angle.....

Yea my feelings about Rodriguez are well documented, but ol' Chili Dog Charlie has no room to talk. A whole sideline of four and five star talent and can't beat Navy. Maybe he didn't make excuses becuase.... there is no excuse for that. Michigan hasn't even played any games under Fraudriguez yet. I think they'll be mediocre at best, but I don't think they'll be 2007 Notre Dame bad.

After being taken to the woodshed the past two years by Michigan, a 3-8 season, and a loss to Navy, Weis might want to tone it down a bit. But then again, Weis was speaking at a dinner rally with the entire team and a lot of fans watching. Pretty normal to trash talk in that situation.

I see a few Wolverines here, which gives me kind of a 'speak of the devil' moment.

What's the story with the #1 jersey? Jim Rome is mentioning this on his radio show right now, asserting that Coach Rodriguez has given the #1 jersey to an incoming freshmen DB...seemingly upsetting Braylon Edwards and the fanbase.

Is there really a tradition of giving the #1 to the best WR? Checking last year's roster I see no one wore it, so I assume Lloyd Carr judged neither Mario Manningham nor Adrian Arrington to be worthy of the #1? (edit: or perhaps the #1 jersey can be refused?)

I'll admit it actually sounds like a pretty cool little tradition to me, which is what makes me curious...'cause I haven't really heard of it.

Is the #1 jersey the Wolverines version of Dawn?

Pretty much. 3 time All-American Anthony Carter was the first great Michigan WR to wear #1 back in 1979. Derrick Alexander (first round pick - Browns), David Terrell(first round pick, 8th overall), and Braylon Edwards all wore #1 so there is in fact quite a bit of history in that number. Mario Manningham did not want the number from what I heard, and Adrian was too unproven.

While I do think Braylon should have spoken to RR in private, I personally love the tradition of giving the #1 jersey to top WR's. It helps sell the program, give Michigan more time on ESPN, and is a great recruiting tool.

In the end, RR will probably allow the tradition to continue. Defensive back JT Floyd was assigned #1 as a practice jersey, so it hardly means he will wear it the next 4 years.

Archived