A Dance with Dragons cover art

Jussi

Whether a picture of a heraldic dragon signifies fantasy or historical fiction is secondary. Wouldn't the word "DRAGONS" in big fat gold letters be enough of a signifier that this is indeed a fantasy novel?

Whether a picture of a heraldic dragon signifies fantasy or historical fiction is secondary. Wouldn't the word "DRAGONS" in big fat gold letters be enough of a signifier that this is indeed a fantasy novel?

Not with a heraldic dragon on the cover. It could about symbolic Welsh dragons, for all the browser knows. Although I wonder: is the average joe really going to pick this up in a bookstore and buy it once he knows that there are four earlier books in the series? Wouldn't he be utterly lost in the plot right away, and put it down?

Unless the publishers make a point of promoting the previous volumes side-by-side... but that might be almost more off-putting. "I have to read all of these before I can figure this one out?"

Since FEAST went to #1 in its first week of release and sold about 300.000 copies in hardcover, Bantam seems to be doing something right.

If the backlist sales had been bad since the cover change, they would change them yet again. But since they keep going with the current style, the figures seem to be satisfactory to them.

I don't mind the new style, but I liked the other covers just as well.

When FEAST came out, Bantam had a special edition of GAMES for (I think) just $3.99. Maybe they'll do something similar again, to promote the complete series.

And whenever a new book in a successful series is publlished, backlist sales of earlier volumes always go up.

When FEAST came out, Bantam had a special edition of GAMES for (I think) just $3.99. Maybe they'll do something similar again, to promote the complete series.

That would make sense to me, because otherwise - and I'm not gainsaying anything you've said about sales - someone coming new to the series might well be too daunted both by cost and page count to give it a go.

I like the new covers.

Anyway, I imagined ADwD would be pinkish/magenta, so the green feels a little off.

Me too!! Don't know why - the title just always gave me a pink impression.

That said, I much prefer the UK paperback covers and my bookcase is impatiently waiting for the next one. I'll just have to buy the hardcover first and then probably donate it when the paperback comes out...

Getting excited and hoping for a 2008 publication :drool:

*wants to hug the cover*

I hope he finishes by summer. Please, George, finish by summer.

And yeah, I also imagined the ADWD cover to be green, TWOW to be white and ADOS I imagined as a cover with blue roses or something. I know the blue roses are associated with winter, but they are a "dream of spring", in a sense. I always thought there was something sweet and sad about them, which is how the title of the 7th book sounds.

I much preferr the understated cover so I like this one. I had a strong feeling it was going to be green and that TWoW will be either White or Grey. I'm having a harder time predicting what ADoS will be.

I always thought ADOS would be the green one but I agree with white for TWOW. As far as images go, I always thought there would be a dragon on Dance and a Wolf on Spring. Not sure about Winter though

However, I am mildly emo that this is the first time we won't get an illustrated cover :(

Me too, I understand that people like the new covers, they're nice and I get the strategy (kinda like a politician, appealing to the middle while hoping to maintain the base), but I like purty pictures :(

I always thought ADOS would be the green one but I agree with white for TWOW. As far as images go, I always thought there would be a dragon on Dance and a Wolf on Spring. Not sure about Winter though

Thinking it will be a spider on TWoW.

Archived