Favourite quotes

sio

The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be.

- Anne Frank

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

- Robert A. Heinlein

If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.

- Henry Ford

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.

- Albert Einstein

It's been some time since I was a right-winger, but still:

Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.

P. J. O'Rourke

Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.

P. J. O'Rourke

Earnestness is stupidity sent to college.

P. J. O'Rourke

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Never wear anything that panics the cat.

P. J. O'Rourke

he Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it.

P. J. O'Rourke

The weirder you're going to behave, the more normal you should look. It works in reverse, too. When I see a kid with three or four rings in his nose, I know there is absolutely nothing extraordinary about that person.

P. J. O'Rourke

There are a number of mechanical devices which increase sexual arousal, particularly in women. Chief among these is the Mercedes-Benz 380SL convertible.

P. J. O'Rourke

There is one thing women can never take away from men. We die sooner.

P. J. O'Rourke

There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.

P. J. O'Rourke

Whatever it is that the government does, sensible Americans would prefer that the government do it to somebody else. This is the idea behind foreign policy.

P. J. O'Rourke

You know your children are growing up when they stop asking you where they came from and refuse to tell you where they're going.

P. J. O'Rourke

"Evil is a maze of deceit, and the cheese it hides is never worth the running. Oh, and never trust an ice weasel when your hamster is on the line. "

-Minsc

"How can I be expected to rule the world when I'm surrounded by such malcontented psychophants... It means IDIOTS your IDIOTS!"

-General Corrosive. Metal Arms: Glitch in the System

"When you care enough to send the very best...send someone else."

-WarCraft III - The Frozen Throne

"We're not a cult so much as a maniacal group of fanatical, blade-wielding zealots."

-WarCraft III - The Frozen Throne

"This deck of cards is a little frayed around the edges, but then again so am I and I've got fewer suits..."

-Manuel Calavera

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

-Manuel Calavera

"We're trained professionals. (Well, we're semi-trained quasi-professionals, at any rate.)"

-OOTS

"Now I'm imagining you having sex with a purple elephant! Everything is ruined forever!"

-Questionable Content

Picked up a girl been tryin to fuck since the twelve grade

Its ironic, I had the brew she had the chronic

The lakers beat the supersonics

I felt on the big fat fanny

Pulled out the jammy, and killed the punanny

And my dick runs deep so deep so deep

Put her ass to sleep...

Today I didnt even have to use my a.k.

I got to say it was a good day.

--Ice Cube

This thread needs some Lewis Black.

"MTV is to music as KFC is to chicken."

"The Democrats are the party of no ideas, and the Republicans are the party of bad ideas."

"These guys believe that a 350 billion dollar tax cut will stimulate the economy, and they are full of shit. Because they don't know what stimulates the economy. The economy goes up, it goes down, it goes up, it goes down, it goes up, it goes, nobody knows why the fuck it happens. And I know this because I took economics, and I'd explain it to yea'... but I flunked that course. Not my fault. They taught it at 8 o'clock in the morning. And there is absolutely nothing that you can learn out of one bloodshot eye."

"When from behind me, a young woman of 25 uttered the following, it was the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life until Dan Quayle was elected Vice President to the United States. She said, 'If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.'"

"On this list of things to worry about, this [gay marriage] is on page 6 right after 'Are we eating too much garlic as a people?'"

"They [Dick Cheney and the friend that he shot in the face] were hunting in a place that rich people pay to hunt at. ...They drive them to where the animals are. That is not fucking hunting. There's a fence around the place. Son of a bitch. That means they go and they track the deer and go 'Oh, look we got 'im in the corner.' They've turned the petting zoo into Auschwitz."

I can get onboard with that.

"In my lifetime, we've gone from Eisenhower to George W. Bush. We've gone from John F. Kennedy to Al Gore. If this is evolution, I believe that in twelve years, we'll be voting for plants."

-Lewis Black.

"A republican stands up in congress and says 'I GOT A REALLY BAD IDEA!!' and the democrat stands up after him and says 'AND I CAN MAKE IT SHITTIER!!'"

-Lewis Black.

"There's no such thing as soy milk. It's soy juice. But they couldn't sell soy juice, so they called it soy milk. Because anytime you say soy juice, you actually...start to gag. Know how come I know there's no such thing as soy milk? Because there's no soy titty, is there? And if you ain't got no tit, you ain't got no milk."

-Lewis Black.

"When from behind me, a young woman of 25 uttered the following, it was the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life until Dan Quayle was elected Vice President to the United States. She said, 'If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

I love that routine...

"...I'll repeat that. I'll repeat that because that's the kind of sentence that when you hear it, your brain comes to a screeching halt. And the left hand side of the brain looks at the right hand side and goes, 'It's dark in here, and we may die.' She said, 'If it weren't for my horse...' as in, giddy up, giddy up, let's go - 'I wouldn't have spent that year in college,' a degree-granting institution. Don't! Don't think about that sentence for more than three minutes, or blood'll shoot out your nose. The American medical profession doesn't know why we get an aneurysm. It's when a blood vessel bursts in our head for no apparent reason. There's a reason. You're at the mall one day, and somebody over there says the dumbest thing you've ever heard and it goes in your ear. So you turn around to see if your friends heard it, cause if your friends heard it, and you can talk about what the jackass said, then it'll be gone. But your friends are over here, pretending they're gonna buy a cellular phone, and they're not gonna buy a cellular phone, because they don't even understand how the rate structure works. So you turn back, to find the person who said it, because if you can ask 'em a question like, 'WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKIN' ABOUT?!' then it'll go away. But they're gone. And now those words are in your head. And those words don't go away. Cause the way I see it, 7% of our brains functions all the time, because 99% of everything that happens is the same old stuff. We get it. All right. Move on. Get it. Right. But every so often, somethin' like that happens: 'If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.' So your brain goes, 'LET'S FIGURE IT OUT! Son of a bitch! I wonder what that's about!' I wonder, was she riding the horse to school? No, she wouldn't be riding the horse to school. Maybe it was a polo pony; she had a polo pony scholarship. Maybe she sold the horse and that's how she - she was betting on the horse! WHAT THE FUCK?!! And then you realize that anybody who went to college would never say anything that stupid in public. And as soon as you have that thought, your eyes close and the next morning they find you dead in your bathroom."

- Lewis Black

"She's a mite whimsical in the brainpan."

-Firefly.

“Drinking bear is easy. Trashing your hotel room is easy. But being a Christian, that's a tough call. That's rebellion.â€

-Alice Cooper

“If you're listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you're a bigger moron than they are.â€

-Alice Cooper

“Why do you think the old stories tell of men who set out on great journeys to impress the gods? Because trying to impress people just isn't worth the time and effort.â€

-Henry Rollins

“If you hate your parents, the man or the establishment, don't show them up by getting wasted and wrapping your car around a tree. If you really want to rebel against your parents: outearn them, outlive them, and know more than they do.â€

-Henry Rollins

"A rebel? How can I be a rebel? I fold the hotel towels so the maid doesn't think I'm a slob."

-Henry Rollins

They got us surrounded, the poor bastards.

- soldiers of the 101st Airborne (others too?) during the Battle of Bastogne

You ask, What is our policy? I will say; “It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us: to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy.†You ask, What is our aim? I can answer with one word: Victory—victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.

We shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and the oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Hitler knows that he will have to break us in this island or lose the war. If we can stand up to him, all Europe may be free and life of the world may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands. But if we fall, then the whole world, including the United States, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new Dark Age made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perverted science.

Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth lasts for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour!'

- Winston Churchill

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.

- John F. Kennedy

"Then the king will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.' The righteous will answer him and say, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?' And the king will say to them in reply, 'Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.'"

Matthew 25: 34-40

• 1 year later...

I'm practicing a little threadnomancy because I just rediscovered a great Hunter S. Thompson quote that I felt compelled to share (because of my current creative pursuits) and because this doesn't really fit the "mantras" thread:

"I've always considered writing the most hateful kind of work. I suspect it's a bit like fucking, which is only fun for amateurs. Old whores don't do much giggling."

The more obvious and glaring expressions of this process, the burning of foodstuffs, the dismantling of machinery that is still in good condition, strike the imagination of all. But all do not yet see the full significance of these symptoms: first, the expression through these symptoms of the extreme stage of decay of the whole capitalist order; second, the inseparable connection of this process of decay with the social and political phenomena of decay which find their complete expression in Fascism; and third, the necessary completion and final working out of this process in war. For war is only the complete and most systematic working out of the process of destruction. To-day they are burning wheat and grain, the means of human life. To-morrow they will be burning living human bodies. -- r. p. dutt, 1934

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

"If scientific progress creates problems it is not through ignorance that we can solve them."

-Isaac Asimov

"Why do you stand for this!? Why do you submit to the flesh when death is bred in your bones!?"

-Jon Irenicus

"Quite an expereince to live in fear isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

-Roy Batty

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members."

-Groucho Marx

"This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but a whimper."

-T.S. Elliot

"Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven."

-John Milton

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."

-Churchill

Archived