Favourite quotes

sio

My list, in no conscious order:

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Truth alone will endure; all the rest will be swept away before the tide of time." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Death is so terribly final, while life is full of possibilities." --George R. R. Martin

"Truth resides in every human heart, and one has to search for it there, and to be guided by truth as one sees it. But no one has a right to coerce others to act according to his own view of truth." --Mahatma Gandhi

"This crippling of individuals I consider the worst evil of capitalism. ... An exaggerated competitive attitude is inculcated into the student, who is trained to worship acquisitive success as a preparation for his future career." --Albert Einstein

I look forward to hearing some of yours!

"Any of you fucking pricks move, and I'll execute every motherfuckin' last one of you!" Yolanda/Honey Bunny, Pulp Fiction. I don't know why, but I find it hilarious. Probably due to my dark side, which is most likely why I also like the Misfits song "Last Caress". The lyrics are absolutely atrocious, but I find the delivery so funny. Which kinda disturbs me.

Another factor might be that the quote is prefixed to the song Misirlou by Dick Dale(?), which is another song I think is cool, albeit for different reasons.

"Over the years I have discovered there are two important things in life, taking one's work seriously and taking one's self seriously; the first is imperative, the second disastrous." -- Dame Margot Fonteyn

(Read that many, many years ago as the opening to Harlan Ellison's "Strange Wine" and it's stuck with me ever since.)

"We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battle-field, and patriot grave, to every living heart and hearth-stone, all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature."

Abraham Lincoln, from his first inaugural address.

I have always liked "veni,vidi,veci" but I like to change it around a bit to Vidi, veci, veni .

Just for fun.

I also like the one "those who desire peace should prepare for war" though I cannot remember if it was Homer or Socrates who said it.

The personal, as everyone's so fucking fond of saying, is political. So if some idiot politician, some proper player, tries to execute policies that harm you or those you care about, TAKE IT PERSONALLY. Get angry. The Machinery of Justice will not serve you here- it is slow and cold, and it is theirs, hardware and soft-. Only the little people suffer at the hands of Justice; the creatures of power slide out from under with a wink and a grin. If you want justice, you will have to claw it from them. Make it PERSONAL. Do as much damage as you can. GET YOUR MESSAGE ACROSS. That way you stand a far better chance of being taken seriously next time. Of being considered dangerous. And make no mistake about this; being taken seriously, being considered dangerous, makes the difference, the ONLY difference in their eyes between players and little people. Players they will make deals with. Little people they will liquidate. And time and again they cream your liquidation, your displacement, your torture and brutal execution with the ultimate insult that it's just business, it's politics, it's the way of the world, it's a tough life and that IT'S NOTHING PERSONAL. Well fuck them. Make it personal.

-- Richard K Morgan, Altered Carbon

(this, in my opinion also qualifies as the best chapter preface ever)

Some of my favorite quotes, of course, are in my sig, but here's one from Hunter S. Thompson that I can still remember verbatim fifteen years after I first read it:

"If there is, in fact, a Heaven and a Hell, all we know for sure is that Hell will be a viciously overcrowded version of Phoenix -- a clean, well lighted place full of sunshine and bromides and fast cars where almost everyone seems vaguely happy, except for the ones who know in their hearts what is missing... And are being driven slowly and quietly into the kind of terminal craziness that comes with finally understanding that the one thing you want is not there. Missing. Back-ordered. No tengo. Vaya con Dios. Grow up! Small is better. Take what you can get..."

-- from the introduction to "Generation of Swine"

Dance like it hurts,

Love like you need money,

Work when people are watching.

-Scott Adams, Way of the Weasel

Very depressing advice, but I like it.

Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand,

for everyone can see and few can feel.

Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are.

-Machiavelli

There are probably much better quotes by him, but this one always struck a cord with me.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass ...and I'm all out of bubblegum,

-"Rowdy" Piper, They Live

'nuff said really.

Calling all; this is our last cry before our eternal silence.

-Last French Navy Morse Code Transmission, 1997

Again, it just strikes a cord with me. It's not even from a dramatic situation, just a guy in naval station sending a last poetic message before making the switch to newer high-tech naval communications; but I don't care, it just gets to me.

Some of my favorite quotes, of course, are in my sig, but here's one from Hunter S. Thompson that I can still remember verbatim fifteen years after I first read it:

"If there is, in fact, a Heaven and a Hell, all we know for sure is that Hell will be a viciously overcrowded version of Phoenix -- a clean, well lighted place full of sunshine and bromides and fast cars where almost everyone seems vaguely happy, except for the ones who know in their hearts what is missing... And are being driven slowly and quietly into the kind of terminal craziness that comes with finally understanding that the one thing you want is not there. Missing. Back-ordered. No tengo. Vaya con Dios. Grow up! Small is better. Take what you can get..."

-- from the introduction to "Generation of Swine"

hahahaha

as a Phoenician I can attest to the veracity of that quote. good ol' Hunter.

"I cannot live without books."

- Thomas Jefferson

"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

"I've never been a millionaire, but I know I'd be just darling at it."

--Dorothy Parker

"She runs the gamut of emotions from A to B."

--Dorothy Parker

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."

--Oscar Wilde

"Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."

--Mark Twain

"The funniest things are the forbidden."

--Mark Twain

"Followers of obsolete unthinkable trades, doodling in Etruscan, addicts of drugs not yet synthesized, black marketeers of World War III, excisors of telepathic sensitivity, osteopaths of the spirit, investigators of infractions denounced by bland paranoid chess players, servers of fragmentary warrants taken down in hebephrenic shorthand charging unspeakable mutilations of the spirit, officials of unconstituted police states, brokers of exquisite dreams and nostalgias tested on the sensitized cells of junk sickness and bartered for raw materials of the will, drinkers of the Heavy Fluid sealed in translucent amber of dreams." William Burroughs

And as we're on a Wire theme:

Are you taking notes on a criminal fuckin' conspiracy?

Here are some of my favorites, mostly just a bunch of stuff said by German authors or old politicians.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.

Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." - Goethe

"Everything terrible is something that needs our love." - Rainer Maria Rilke

"Youth is happy because it has the capacity to see beauty. Anyone who keeps the ability to see beauty never grows old." - Franz Kafka

"If you are going through Hell, keep going." Winston Churchill

"Sapere aude!" (Dare to know!) - Horace

"Cowards die many times before their deaths;

The valiant never taste of death but once."

- William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar

"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."

- Frank Herbert, Dune

"Too late, I found you can't wait to become perfect, you got to go out and fall down and get up again with everybody else."

- Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

"And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it."

- Herman Melville, Moby Dick

ok,

just to show my entire existence isn't defined by The Wire....

"cmon you apes, you wanna live forever ?" = unknown Greek corporal, Walls of Troy ??? BC

"We who are about to die, Salute you" - Roman Gladiator pledge to the Coliseum crowd

"When you are up to your ass in alligators, its hard to remember the initial objective was to drain the swamp". - credited to an un-named US Department of Defense employee

"General, don't you think that's a bridge too far ?" - Benard Sir Montgomery's planning staff officer. - WWII

"Those who are willing to trade liberty for security are deserving of neither" - Ben Franklin.

"The price of liberty is eternal vigilance" - Thomas Jefferson

and one more from The Wire

"deserves got nuttin to do with it" - Snoop

vae victus

Vae Victis - suffering to the conquered. Ironic that now I was the one suffering. Not anything as pedestrian as physical pain. Rather the cruel jab of impotent anger - the hunger for revenge. I didn’t care if I was in Heaven or Hell - all I wanted was to kill my assassins. Sometimes you get what you wish for. The Necromancer Mortanius offered me a chance for vengeance, and, like a fool, I jumped at his offer without considering the cost. Nothing is free. Not even...revenge."

# While holding Nupraptor's severed head: "Alas, poor Nupraptor. I knew him well... Well, not really."

# "Worms and maggots fed upon his festering skin, the scent of tainted blood seeped through the wounds upon which they feasted. Pity, such a waste-- good blood gone bad."

# "Life without blood. What a travesty!"

# "The winds carried screams from the west... I could not help but smile."

And anything by Mark Anthony in Rome.

"cmon you apes, you wanna live forever ?" = unknown Greek corporal, Walls of Troy ??? BC

Umm.. that quote sounded just so... weird to me, I had to google it. :P It came up as being from Starship Troopers.

Nothing to contribute to the thread right now, carry on.

Archived