How I Met Your Mother

Jaxom 1974

Last night's episode pretty much sucked. It's like they took a bunch of funny ideas and then fell asleep somewhere in the middle of writing them. Robin Sparkles! Usually funny. Tonight, not so much. James Van Der Beek... with an even bigger forehead! Not so funny. Barney! Turned into a lame-o B romantic subplot.

This makes even less sense than when Rachel hooked up with Joey on Friends... except that it's pretty much the exact same thing.

[quote name='Blaine23' post='1325181' date='Apr 22 2008, 16.29']This makes even less sense than when Rachel hooked up with Joey on Friends... except that it's pretty much the exact same thing.[/quote]

I want to see where they take it next week and how it's handled before I call copycat.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1325519' date='Apr 22 2008, 17.36']I want to see where they take it next week and how it's handled before I call copycat.[/quote]

remember the one where they went to the coffee shop instead of the bar and were like, "This is lame!" :lol:

[quote name='ztemhead' post='1325730' date='Apr 22 2008, 22.30']remember the one where they went to the coffee shop instead of the bar and were like, "This is lame!" :lol:[/quote]

In the DVD commentary, the creators say they weren't "trying" to rip on Friends...though that was one of the more brilliant bits I think. That and the Doogie Howser riff with Barney a couple weeks back...

While I accept that some of you just aren't fans, I gotta say that HIMYM does the serious stuff (a la last night), just as well, if not better, than Friends ever did. Will that continue if HIMYM went on for 10 seasons? I don't know for certain, but in the third season, it's there and better.

And how about the creators throwing a cheap shot to the fans wanting to know about the goat in the bathroom since season 1? Bastards. :lol:

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1333426' date='Apr 29 2008, 08.27']And how about the creators throwing a cheap shot to the fans wanting to know about the goat in the bathroom since season 1? Bastards. :lol:[/quote]

Huh. I didn't remember the goat from season 1, but was there something to be read into the comment at the end where Ted said Oh wait, Robin wasn't living in the apartment that year, that was the next year. So will Robin be living with Ted next year? Or just in the apartment? Or did I hear that wrong?

I'm also starting to become amused at the blank look on the kids faces at the beginning of every episode. It's like, they know they're only going to be on for exactly 1.5 seconds so why bother.

[quote name='Winterfella' post='1333516' date='Apr 29 2008, 08.38']Huh. I didn't remember the goat from season 1, but was there something to be read into the comment at the end where Ted said Oh wait, Robin wasn't living in the apartment that year, that was the next year. So will Robin be living with Ted next year? Or just in the apartment? Or did I hear that wrong?

I'm also starting to become amused at the blank look on the kids faces at the beginning of every episode. It's like, they know they're only going to be on for exactly 1.5 seconds so why bother.[/quote]

You know I always assumed that the kids shot was always the same footage that they shot way back when. Why reshoot it they are only on for 1.5 seconds.

I loved the way they handled the Ted and Barney thing, at least so far. Barney did the classic..."go ahead an hit me, just not in the face" line. Which usually ends up with the other person NOT hitting them....

But Ted turned around and hauled off a shot to the nads.... that was awesome.

[quote name='Winterfella' post='1333516' date='Apr 29 2008, 09.38']Huh. I didn't remember the goat from season 1, but was there something to be read into the comment at the end where Ted said Oh wait, Robin wasn't living in the apartment that year, that was the next year. So will Robin be living with Ted next year? Or just in the apartment? Or did I hear that wrong?

I'm also starting to become amused at the blank look on the kids faces at the beginning of every episode. It's like, they know they're only going to be on for exactly 1.5 seconds so why bother.[/quote]

The goat was a toss off gag during the first season in the episode where Ted turns 28. Fans on the HIMYM board over at TV.com would bring it up occasionally and ask if they were going to remember they talked about that or not. I think there was something in the cast commentary too on the DVD. Then last night, in another example of how the show tries to seriously honor the continuity that they've created, have the goat return for the 30th birthday episode...only to have it be part of the wrong tale! The bastards! Though it's an interesting set-up for a possible episode next season and it also dropped the bomb on Robin living with Ted (???) next year. That's gonna fuel the speculation! Though Mrs. Jax and I looked at each other about that line too, we're figuring that there is going to be some sort of thing where Robin moves in with Ted platonically after Marshall and Lily have their apartment fixed. Similar in a way that Friends always had the friends apartment hopping in an attempt to keep characters close at hand...

• 3 weeks later...
Last night's finale sealed the deal for me. Sarah Chalke: NOT gonna be the mother. No matter what happens. (And yes I know that technically the cat would have been out of the bag if she were by now).

I think the spectre of once upon a time not being renewed really rushed a bit of the season at the end here. I kinda wanted to see the Barney/Ted resolution be dragged out a bit further, as I think it could have been mined for even more comedy. I'm still in love with this show though. It's like a warm comedy blanket.

[quote name='burnt hound' post='1364195' date='May 21 2008, 13.21']Thank God this show is returning next season. Weeeeeeeeeeeeee![/quote]

I really like this show.... but I hope they do something to shake it up a bit. Plot wise, the show is in danger of going REALLY stale REALLY fast.

I mean, how much longer can they drag out the meeting of the mother. I realize that is the central plot, but I'm already getting tired of seeing how Ted fails at relationship after relationship. Even Barney's stick is getting a little old (though they are definitely setting up the whole Robin / Barney thing).

I like the characters, so I hope the turn it up a notch next season.

[quote name='Besselfunction' post='1366788' date='May 22 2008, 16.51']Was it just my impression or were the last two episodes incredibly corny and not exactly funny? They were definately a letdown compared to the previous episodes of this season's second half.[/quote]

I don't know if I was disappointed or not, but I know I laughed. Maybe not as hard, but certainly as much.

As to shaking things up. I was thinking about this. I don't know if the show would suffer once the mother is revealed. Once we learn who it is, the turn becomes, "this is how I met her, but this is how we came together". I think that would work.

I'm very excited to see this come back for another season.

I liked the end of the season, but I think it's time for him to meet the mother. Because it doesn't look like Stella is her. At least they built it up to look like it will happen soon.

I'm also not a big fan of the Barney/Robin stuff.

I'm doing a rewatch and I'm about half way through season 2, and damn they had some funny episodes. I wish season 3 was out on dvd!

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1367443' date='May 22 2008, 23.16']I'm also not a big fan of the Barney/Robin stuff.[/quote]

We'll see how that plays out. I suspect it'll be dropped for a while. At least early in season 4.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1367457' date='May 22 2008, 22.21']We'll see how that plays out. I suspect it'll be dropped for a while. At least early in season 4.[/quote]

I like the writing style too much to believe they will totally mess it up, but the echoes of Joey/Rachel are too much for my liking.

And what was I thinking, I'll begin my season 3 rewatch as soon as I'm done with season 2 :ninja:

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1367483' date='May 22 2008, 23.42']I like the writing style too much to believe they will totally mess it up, but the echoes of Joey/Rachel are too much for my liking.[/quote]

Based on some of the commentary I've seen on the DVDs and some other stuff I've read, the creators and writers seem to be pretty aware of the sit coms that have come before and they're trying very hard to, if not do something original, be sure to take a different twist on old conventions. I didn't watch as much of Friends in the later years, though I see your Joey/Rachel concerns, the vibe doesn't feel the same. Here's hoping.

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1367483' date='May 22 2008, 23.42']And what was I thinking, I'll begin my season 3 rewatch as soon as I'm done with season 2 :ninja:[/quote]

DVD'd or On Demand?

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1367971' date='May 23 2008, 07.15']Based on some of the commentary I've seen on the DVDs and some other stuff I've read, the creators and writers seem to be pretty aware of the sit coms that have come before and they're trying very hard to, if not do something original, be sure to take a different twist on old conventions. I didn't watch as much of Friends in the later years, though I see your Joey/Rachel concerns, the vibe doesn't feel the same. Here's hoping.[/quote]

I love how much attention to detail they put into the show. So random tidbit can pop up 2 shows later, 12 shows later, or even two seasons later. And unless you're watching really closely (or the seasons back-to-back) you won't notice.

[quote]DVD'd or On Demand?[/quote]

Umm... other means on the net. Although right now the season pack I'm working on has no seeders, and I'm stuck at 67.89% :tantrum:

Archived