Most deep/meaningful line?

The Alchemist

"We all swore oaths." said Ser Arthur Dayne, so sadly.

So, welcome to the boards.

The line is, actually, "We swore an oath" and IIRC it was Hightower who said the line to Ned.

The good news is that your version may be correct because Ned was in the midst of a fever dream, and second, you can now safely put me on "ignore" because I am such a jerk.

Thank you Rockroi. And of course I'm not going to ignore you or think you're a jerk, you kindly gave me a welcome after my first post.

But the line I'm talking about it's from Jaime's dream, in ASoS, I'm sure of it. Arthur Dayne says it to Brienne. That's what they say:

"I swore an oath to keep him safe" she said to Rhaegar's shadow "I swore an holy oath."

The dream takes place just after Jaime leave Harrenthal, after that he changes his mind and goes back to save Brienne :P

Thank you Rockroi. And of course I'm not going to ignore you or think you're a jerk, you kindly gave me a welcome after my first post.

But the line I'm talking about it's from Jaime's dream, in ASoS, I'm sure of it. Arthur Dayne says it to Brienne. That's what they say:

"I swore an oath to keep him safe" she said to Rhaegar's shadow "I swore an holy oath."

The dream takes place just after Jaime leave Harrenthal, after that he changes his mind and goes back to save Brienne :P

:owned:

I wonder if I can give myself a -1...

:owned:

I wonder if I can give myself a -1...

Nope, but don't worry, I got you covered for that one. So does somebody else, it would appear.

But at least you are willing to punish yourself. So few of us are so honorable.

Welcome to the board, IndigoCat. :)

This line isnt particularly deep or meaningful but it sheds great light on a character. Its from AGOT where Sansa is summoned to King Joffrey and Meryn Trant comes to see her:

Sansa: "I shall do whatever His Grace commands....but you are not true Knight"

Sandor Clegane would have laughed at her. Other men would have cursed her, warned her or begged her forgiveness. Ser Meryn Trant did none of these. Ser Meryn Trant simply did not care.

I love that part. Trant is a scumbag and doenst give a shit about his honor.

I love that part. Trant is a scumbag and doenst give a shit about his honor.

I completely agree that that line about Trant not caring is incredible.

However, I do not think that its indicative that he does not give a shit about his honor. I think the line manifests the great tumult that Sansa is feeling: her life in perpetual prison, her family shattered, her safety an illusion, etc. That in all that, Sansa FEELS that all this awfulness is being done to her (and it is); that a great and unfathomable injustice is being done to her.

But as far as her life is concerned, Trant doesn't care. To him, her life is utterly and completely inconsequential; her opinuions even less. At least Clegane would have laughed; at least Blount would have spat at her; maybe Oakenshield would have begged her pardons. Not Trant.

To some, the greatest harm you can do to them is NOT hate them; at least when you hate somebody, you still have mental shelf-space to pay attention to them and what they think. But when you ignore someone and render their opinions and their critisisms irrelevant; when you simply stop caring enough even to argue, that is, sometimes, the greatest injury to a person. After all, what is more damning to Viserys: that Robert feared his rise to power or that for DECADES Robert didn't so much as care about Viserys?

But Trant is a reminder to Sansa. Not that Trant does not care that he has honor or not; that he is a true knight or not.

No. Its a reminder that Trant- like so many others -does not care about her. At all.

One that I'm shocked that hasn't been included:

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night’s Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

and one that always chills me:

“Vengeance.” His voice was soft, as if he were afraid that someone might be listening. “Justice.” Prince Doran pressed the onyx dragon into her palm with his swollen, gouty fingers, and whispered, “Fire and blood.”

"And now it begins," said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning....

"No," Ned said with sadness in his voice. "Now it ends."

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Word. Also, I know it's been mentioned already, but I can't find the post:

There are no men like me. There is only me.

I actually used it with a guy, replacing "men" with "women". He was in the middle of a rant about how ALL women are the same, like a monolithic, unchanging structure. Don't think he got it.

Also, part of my profile:

"My home is at my back." "Your home is in my heart."

It means so much to me in real life, unfortunately nobody has ever answered to me like Cat does to Bryn.

I'd like to add

Speaking for the grotesques, I beg to differ. Death is so terribly final, while life is full of possibilities.

and

Bugger that. Bugger him. Bugger you.

These lines may not be the most meaninful overall, but for me they definitely were regarding Prince Oberyn:

He tossed his spear at my feet and gave my mother the back of his hand across the face, so she began to weep. 'Girl or boy, we fight our battles, but the gods let us choose our weapons' He pointed to the spear. 'I told you she was mine'.

And also this one:

If you would wed, wed, If not, take your pleasure where you find it. There's little enough of it in this world. Choose well, though. If you saddle yourself with a fool or a brute, don't look to me to rid you of him. I gave you the tools to do that for yourself.

That is so Oberyn :)

He's calling himself a king now.

Yes, all kinds of people are calling themselves kings these days.

We'll fight to the last man.

Sigh, probably me.

You're a bully. (This one blew my mind, I didn't really like Jon much at this point, but I Certainly didn't think he was a bully, but Noye told Jon and me I guess)

I'd say it's not a game, but that wouldn't be true. It's the greatest game, and if you lose, you die. (Sums up life I think, even though I know I didn't get it exactly. I'm referring to Littlefinger's quote, not C's)

On my next re-read I can try to record most of them. It may well take a full notebook.

Just to add some <LINES> coming to my mind now which I think have not been mentioned so far -

<My ladies.> Robb looked desperately uncomfortable, but he had known this moment must come, and he faced it without flinching. <All men should keep their word, kings most of all. I was pledged to marry one of you and I broke that vow. The fault is not in you. What I did was not done to slight you, but because I loved another. No words can set it right, I know, yet I come before you to ask forgiveness, that the Freys of the Crossing and the Starks of Winterfell may once again be friends.>

Some of the dead men had been bald and some bearded, some young and some old,

some short, some tall, some fat, some thin. Swollen in death, with faces gnawed and

rotten, they all looked the same. On the gallows tree, all men are brothers.

<Perhaps we can fly. All of us. How will we ever know unless we leap from some tall tower . . . No man ever truly knows what he can do unless he dares to leap.>

<Words are wind>, Brienne told herself. <They cannot hurt you. Let them wash over you.>

<Faith,> urged Septon Meribald. <Believe, persist, and follow, and we shall find the peace we seek.>

Old or young, a true knight is sworn to protect those who are weaker than himself, or die in the attempt.

• 1 month later...

ACOK

Varys smiled. "Here, then. Power resides where men believe it resides. No more and no less."

"So power is a mummer's trick?"

"A shadow on the wall," Varys murmured, "yet shadows can kill.

And ofttimes a very small man can cast a very large shadow."

TYRION will be King.

“Some woman, no doubt. Most of them are.” He favored Jon with a rueful grin. “Remember this, boy. All dwarfs may be bastards, yet not all bastards need be dwarfs.” And with that he turned and sauntered back into the feast, whistling a tune. When he opened the door, the light from within threw his shadow clear across the yard, and for just a moment Tyrion Lannister stood tall as a king.

Archived