June 2008 Reads

Larry.

So...

It's June. Summer's almost here. What the hell are you reading this month?

I'm currently reading Books 7-12 of the Aeneid in Latin in preparation for a review I'm doing later this month over at Strange Horizons for Jo Graham's [i]Black Ships[/i] and Ursula Le Guin's [i]Lavinia[/i]. Then I'll finish Kay Kenyon's [i]A World Too Near[/i] before reading whatever review copies/ARCs reach me this month.

You?

It's June and it will be a busy month, at work, at home (with some friends wedding) and with the Euro 2008 (European Soccer Championship). But I will manage to sneak in my biggest passion, reading. What I plan this month I hope to finish this month :D
"The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, "Perdido Street Station" by China Mieville (the book for the Book Club over at Fantasy Book Spot), "The Inferior" by Peadar O Guilin and "Winterbirth" by Brian Ruckley. That's for now and I hope to finish them all and add at least another one this month ;)

Damn, it's June already? ...

I'm reading Johnson et al's Advanced Physics for you and Ebbings General Chemistry. :P

But sometimes I find a happy moment to read Patrick O'Brien's Post Captain, second of the Aubrey Maturin novels. 'tis good to have a ship to escape the terrors of science on.

I finished Before they are hanged and [b]Last Argument of Kings [/b]by The 'Crombie. BTAG was to my mind slightly sloer paced than the Blade Itself and while it read well, I wasn't as fond of it, until the final 50 pages which were really stromng. Last Argument of Kings however is every part the giant of the book that everyone is proclaiming it to be, truly marvellous. Joe's off to a great start with this trilogy and I cannot wait for the next couple of books.

Next up is [i]The Last of The Mohicans [/i]graphic novel that Marvel recently published, looks very good. I'm also thinking about giving Ishiguro's [i]The Remains of the Day [/i]a chance.

I'm currently about 100 pages into Guy Gavriel Kay's [i]Last Light of the Sun.[/i] Really enjoying it so far. I'm also re-reading my [i]Watchmen[/i] graphic novel after getting jazzed up from seeing [url="http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36885"]this photo[/url] over at AICN. I might pick up [i]Nixonland[/i] by Rick Perlstein next for a change of pace. I hear great things about it. I also need to get my hands on [i]Last Argument of Kings[/i] at some point. And I just finished [i]Rebel[/i], the first novel in Bernard Cornwell's Nathanial Starbuck series, so I'll probably end up picking up book two shortly as well.

I have picked up a few books lately. I am currently working my way through [i]Smoke and Mirrors[/i] by Neil Gaiman and have mixed feelings so far. There is a lot that I like about Gaiman that is missing in many of his short stories, though they have been compelling enough to keep me reading. I am also working my way through [i]The Time Machine[/i] by H.G. Wells. An interesting story, I find the idea of a culture who has advanced so far and made life so easy for themselves that they have turned to weakness and frivolity engaging. I also started [i]Foundation[/i] by Asimov. I have not been terribly impressed so far, though I have recently learned that the book I picked up was actually the second book of the series, not the first. I have decided to put this one aside until I can give the first one a shot.

Some of the books I hope to get read this month are Abercrombie's [i]Before they are Hanged[/i], Gaiman and Pratchett's [i]Good Omens[/i], and maybe a little bit of Arthur C. Clarke or Jack Vance. Other options would include giving Bernard Cornwell a shot or picking up the gigantic [i]Amber [/i]Omnibus that I have seen on bookshelves.

I want to read [i]Return of the Crimson Guard[/i], but it's a digital ARC and my monitor is really lame for reading vast amounts of text. I don't think I can find anywhere to print out 750 pages for a reasonable rate, either. So I may plump for [i]Fall of Hyperion[/i] instead.

Currently reading Wild Cards 2, [i]Aces High[/i], which will be followed by [i]Jokers Wild[/i], then [i]Down and Dirty[/i] (I've already read 4, [i]Aces Abroad[/i]), then maybe [i]Ace in the Hole[/i] if I can get my hands on it.

After that, the worlds is open to me. I'm considering an ASoIaF reread, or picking up something from the many authors I want to read more of: Daniel Abraham, Melinda Snodgrass, Bakker, Abercrombie, Kay, Zelazny... this summer will go by fast :P

I'm currently reading Khaled Hosseini's [i]A Thousand Splendid Suns[/i] in German and after that will most likely start with Jim Butcher's [i]Dresden Files[/i], because they've been sitting on my shelf for a while ;)

I finished [i]Exile[/i] by Richard N. Patterson. It was OK. The plot was too predictable but I enjoyed how he addressed both the Palestinian and Isreali positions on the current situation in the Middle East. Pretty standard fare lawyer book otherwise.

I'm now about 100 pages into Pressfield's, [i]The Afghan Campaign[/i]. It seems good so far but it's no [i]Gates of Fire.[/i]

Archived