FOOTBALL!

Mathis

[quote name='Podezine Podane' post='1384841' date='Jun 5 2008, 10.43']While Portugal would suffer because of their ties with England in recent tournaments. And England presumably wouldn't get too enthused with the Latin culture of teams like Italy and Spain (i.e. the "diving" claims for example).[/quote]

we would not want their support anyway :) first their support does not bring much luck, second old old issues ( like changing a semifinal setting in 1966 which was cheating), third new issues. And in general we were so popular and cuddly in the 90s, and did not win things or qualify. Now we got hate and jealousies from other countries and it feels good. very good actually. It´s respect, not willing respect but respect.

OTOH we got far better official support - from Brasil. If they are jinxed, they seem to deal with it superbly.

PS - regarding the original poster, sorry Milan getting CSKA´s place was IMO never possible. I have been reading the CL regulation ( ok, just the part which interests me, and it interests me A LOT) and paragraph 1.09 says if one team is not allowed entrance it will be replaced by the nextly qualified team from the same federation.

[quote name='Podezine Podane' post='1384841' date='Jun 5 2008, 11.43']Its not also because Ronaldo is probably the most famous player in the world right now?[/quote]
No of course that's not all. It's just that everyone in Helvética recognises that Portugal is, by far, the best team of the tournament, and will end up winning the final!

[quote name='Homem de Gelo do Norte' post='1384890' date='Jun 5 2008, 05.20']No of course that's not all. It's just that everyone in Helvética recognises that Portugal is, by far, the best team of the tournament, and will end up winning the final![/quote]
Portugal fulfilling their potential is a long time coming. They have been a side on the verge almost the last ten years but this is obviously their best team. I don't think anyone in their group can beat them and this time with Scolari still in place and Ronaldo coming with the experience of winning a double it feels much easier to pick them to win.

[quote name='Paxter' post='1384291' date='Jun 5 2008, 01.47']As a devoted Rovers fan, I was devastated to learn that Hughes has left for Man City. It's going to take me weeks to get over this.[/quote]
What would you say to Paul Ince taking over, as has been mooted?

[quote name='Homem de Gelo do Norte' post='1384890' date='Jun 5 2008, 12.20']No of course that's not all. It's just that everyone in Helvética recognises that Portugal is, by far, the best team of the tournament, and will end up winning the final![/quote]

Nah, it´s the cheekbones. and the hairdos. And the abs. ( the overload of diamons and tacky clothes is indeed a problem, but hey footballers of every country). A lineup which starts with Nuno Gomes and ends up on Cristiano Ronaldo (ignore Petit, please) you know it is going to be good. Italy is not bad either :P but let´s face it, Italy might be better and harder and all that, but Portugal is a bit more rock n roll on the pitch ;) very simple it is.

Now seriously, it´s the density of portuguese citizens in the area and that portuguese usually have a very strong connection to the national team which gets even stronger when you are abroad. Geneva-Lausanne-Neuchatel is area where it´s far more frequent to hear and speak portuguese or italian or arabic than German. I am getting very wary of the hysteria though, it´s bringing all shades of Brazil in 2006. Brazil, that is another country with lots of emmigrants everywhere who care very much for their seleção.

PS - a aww cute story. Apparently in training ( and Loras, another technical word which you might want to use or search extra carefully, peladinha. Meaning an improvised informal game) for the secondary team Scolari is using as right defender the assistant kit manager ( if that is the word. You got the person who handles the uniforms and boots and clothes, and this is assistant) ;) ) Who promptly got interviewed on tv, and claims the harder player to "mark" is Bosingwa, since he is so fast it´s impossible to keep track ;)

Well Portugal is definitly one of the sides I am most interested in seeing play, along with the Spanish, Dutch, French and possibly the Germans. I'm still wondering about who will or will not play given the number of available offensive midfielders. Quaresma and Ronaldi in one team might be nice. I see Nani was not selected, strange.

It will be interesting to see the lineup for Portugal. I don't think they will win it though.

It must be galling to have to choose a midfield combination of CR, Deco, Quaresma, Moutinho, Simao and Nani with only Nuno Gomes, Postiga or Almeida to play upfront.

It will be interesting to see if Scolari plays CR upfront. CR is talented enough to do it but would be less effective as his best work comes from running with space. Maybe he should do it as there are excellent replacements to play off the flanks but the other striking options are limited.

[quote name='Mathis' post='1385221' date='Jun 5 2008, 16.15']It will be interesting to see the lineup for Portugal. I don't think they will win it though.

It must be galling to have to choose a midfield combination of CR, Deco, Quaresma, Moutinho, Simao and Nani with only Nuno Gomes, Postiga or Almeida to play upfront.[/quote]

Technically speaking, we sort of consider simao, nani, cristiano ronaldo and quaresma as "forwards" not midfielders ;) not strikers but "attacking" or "forward" players. Extremos are atacantes ;) Sometimes they condescend at giving a hand with defensive duties, but that is not they are made for :P

Going by the last friendly, I would say pretty close to the team which started that one which IIRC correctly is

Ricardo

Paulo Ferreira - Pepe - Ricardo Carvalho - Bosingwa

Miguel Veloso - Deco - João Moutinho

Cristiano Ronaldo - Nuno Gomes - Simão

The 3 in front is very fluid, the 3 on midfield as well. Back 4 no - Bosingwa is very fast and is dangerous in attacking, Paulo Ferreira has experience managing in the left and he is steady steady, Pepe and Ricardo Carvalho do not have much experience together but they are both very very good (IMO). It worked. The team that played the second half, bringing Ricardo Quaresma and a few others did not work nearly as well - Scolari was quite cutting, without naming names, in the press conference after the game about players playing for themselves rather than the team. And according to reports is yelling at Quaresma in training now and then ( if anybody is going to hit Ricardo Quaresma, it´s going to be him, not serbs with ideas ;) ). Maybe it will work, maybe not. I think there is a very good chance Quaresma and nani will not start, there is just no room. Simão is steadier and Cristiano is better. Nuno Gomes is better at moving around and opening spaces than the other two strikers and Cristiano does not have that knack is more useful doing what he does best.

PS - what was the press conference about? did it go through?

[quote name='Loras Bernadotte-LÃ¥ngstrum' post='1385323' date='Jun 5 2008, 17.16']I like that Portugusese XI.

However I have the impression they look less formidable than 2 years ago. But we'll fiind out soon enough... ;)[/quote]

There are two babies in midfield you probably never saw play ;) A few are newbies to the team so to speak. But it´s also a younger team than 2 years ago I think, and maybe it´s a taller team also as well. I have been ( in the spirit of scientific data gathering of course) been peeking at training photos and nobody seems to be carrying any extra weight. Even Deco :thumbsup:

[quote name='Black Wizard' post='1385234' date='Jun 5 2008, 17.24'][url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7437379.stm"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/7437379.stm[/url]

I wonder...[/quote]
In front of most major tournaments, there's talk about how slow the stadiumbuilding is going, and that someone else might have to hold the tournament. I've yet to see this actually happening. It's more about putting pressure where's needed.

But, if the 2012 Euros are moved, it's obvious that they'll offer it to Portugal before Scotland.

[quote name='Calibandar' post='1384793' date='Jun 5 2008, 09.18']Anyway, according to The Guardian, 96% of all English fans watching EURO 2008 would be cheering for The Netherlands during the tournament, since the English side is absent. Remarkable little statistic in terms of how overwhelming the percentage is. A discerning group of fans though :)[/quote]

[quote name='Morba the Greek' post='1384806' date='Jun 5 2008, 09.32']Seriously, I think it's because the English fans were looking for a team similar to their own: i.e., one that will get kicked out in the quarter finals after a dismal performance and bitch about it for months. ;)[/quote]

Actually, it's because the Dutch rigged the vote :P

[quote name='Homem de Gelo do Norte' post='1385441' date='Jun 5 2008, 18.31']In front of most major tournaments, there's talk about how slow the stadiumbuilding is going, and that someone else might have to hold the tournament. I've yet to see this actually happening. It's more about putting pressure where's needed.

But, if the 2012 Euros are moved, it's obvious that they'll offer it to Portugal before Scotland.[/quote]
Portugal just hosted it, so I take it that you're being ironic?

It'd be a joint bid with Scotland and the Republic of Ireland, but I couldn't see it working because Scotland has four good stadia, three of which are in the same city, and ROI have about eight good stadia, but most are owned by the Gaelic Athletic Association who detest normal football. There was tak a few years ago of Tynecastle being renovated, Dundee & Dundee United having a stadium share, Aberdeen building a new stadium just outside the city, and Inverness building a larger stadium. I can't see even one of these schemes being completed for 2012.

Italy were the favourites for 2012 but P&U got it.

[quote name='Black Wizard' post='1385625' date='Jun 5 2008, 21.06']ROI have about eight good stadia, but most are owned by the Gaelic Athletic Association who detest normal football.[/quote]

They had the rugby at Croke Park while Lansdowne Road was being redeveloped - I'm sure they'd allow football if the deal was right.

Mormont

[quote]Seriously, I think it's because the English fans were looking for a team similar to their own: i.e., one that will get kicked out in the quarter finals after a dismal performance and bitch about it for months[/quote]

Well to be fair to the English and the Dutch, at least these nations still have hopes and expectations, and reasons for it ;)

I should point out that the semi final is the more likely place for the Dutch to go out anyway, as that was were they stranded in 1992, 2000 and 2004.

[quote]Anyway, according to The Guardian, 96% of all English fans watching EURO 2008 would be cheering for The Netherlands during the tournament, since the English side is absent. Remarkable little statistic in terms of how overwhelming the percentage is. A discerning group of fans though smiley2.gif[/quote]

Yes. Frankly, I'm amazed.

[quote name='Republika Hrvmaltska' post='1385728' date='Jun 5 2008, 22.10']They had the rugby at Croke Park while Lansdowne Road was being redeveloped - I'm sure they'd allow football if the deal was right.[/quote]

[quote name='Black Wizard' post='1385745' date='Jun 5 2008, 22.21']It still causes a bit of controversy.[/quote]
Well, less if the English don't qualify again. :)

[quote name='Eloisa' post='1385852' date='Jun 6 2008, 00.11']Well, less if the English don't qualify again. :)[/quote]
Heh. :P But yes, Ireland only has 2 stadiums. Both are in Dublin. We would be no use for any bid.

Iceman is right though. People were saying the same about South Africa (even the Swiss and the Austrians had problems) but things seem to be coming together now. People are saying the same about Brazil. Ukraine and Poland only got the nomination a year ago. Way too early to get excited.

The real abomination in that article is that Platini wants to increase the number of contestants in the finals. Ass.

About Portugal. Hard to say. It is a young team compared to 2006. But Ronaldo is 2 years older, so that's good. But Deco is also 2 years older and that's not so good. Loras is probably just missing Figo though. :P

Archived