Syrio Forel

Dharma

Okay, not impossible. But probable? Plausible? Likely?

Yes, yes, yes. I really dont see why not.

Especially if you consider that Jaqen was supposedly on his way to Oldtown.

Even without that the events in Kingslanding are large, important and interesting enough to

see two FM there.

If he wanted to, I am sure he could have done better than training children.

I would just point out that Syrio isnt "training children".

He is working directly for the Hand of the realm and as such i cannot see any higher posting for a man of his abilities in a foreign kingdom, less he was working for a King himself.

I would just point out that Syrio isnt "training children".

He is working directly for the Hand of the realm and as such i cannot see any higher posting for a man of his abilities in a foreign kingdom, less he was working for a King himself.

But come on, he is training a 10yr? old girl. How low can you go? He was about to leave to the North to train that little girl. Why on Westeros would he do that? Does he want to see the North? Does he like to travel? Is he some ad-hoc adventurer that is first leaving his position as first Sword, than decides that he likes to train people in KingsLanding and when Arya asks him to come with her he decides to abandon all that again and is willing to go North. In the meanwhile, training a girl in order to make money. Isn't that at least a bit strange? Knowing that you are still one of the better fighters alive (at least, I think he is/was, given his speed and his first sword title).

He is working for THE HAND of the westeros kingdom.

He is training THE HANDS daughter.

Stick with the facts not with bullshit you invent.

The FACT is, he is training a little girl how to fight.

My QUESTION was, isn't that at least a bit strange, seeing what he is capable of?

I am not INVENTING, I am ASKING.

Do you really think 'working for the Hand' is a high posting if in fact you are teaching his 10yr old daughter?

No it isnt at least bit strange that former first sword of Braavos is training HANDS DAUGHTER how to fight.

Its the second best position in all of the Westeros if youre looking at it from social prestige perspective.

THE HAND is the second most powerful man in the realm so i can hardly imagine a better position for a stranger, especially a kind whose skills are almost unknown or not very much appreciated in Westeros.

Yes Arya is a little girl, but thats as same as saying that the sky is blue and rain wet.

It has no meaning or relevance in judging Syrios employment position.

Do you really think 'working for the Hand' is a high posting if in fact you are teaching his 10yr old daughter?

He's obviously not going to phrase it like that on his resume, dude. He's probably going to write something like, "High-level adviser to Lord Eddard Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Hand to His Grace Robert Baratheon the First of his Name, personal tutor and master-at-arms for the Hand's youngest daughter Arya Stark -- Reason for Leaving This Position: Seeking new opportunities in the afterlife".

In fact, the Hand of the King is a pretty damn powerful guy, especially when the King is Boozy Bob Baratheon I. Syrio's only other options as an ex-First Sword are probably along the lines of tutoring some merchant's brat or mercenary captaining so it's step up in that respect.

especially a kind whose skills are almost unknown or not very much appreciated in Westeros.

His skills are extra-ordinary, why wouldn't they be appreciated in Westeros? If it makes one able to kill 5 guards with a wooden sword. I think you seriously underestimate Syrio's capabilities.

Yes Arya is a little girl, but thats as same as saying that the sky is blue and rain wet.

So you claim it's purely the rank he enjoys? Just asking.

Btw, maybe stupid question, and I am probably making myself ridiculous, but my memory fails. Do we know more about why he stopped being the first sword of Braavos? Was he to old and sent away?

His skills are extra-ordinary, why wouldn't they be appreciated in Westeros? If it makes one able to kill 5 guards with a wooden sword. I think you seriously underestimate Syrio's capabilities.

His skills are irrelevant, he isn't appreciated in Westeros because nobody knows who he is.

Well... they underestimated them. But that shows why he isn't in greater demand in Westeros - his skills aren't valued. Lordlings learn to fight with longswords and joust, they don't muck around with fancy dan foreign fencing.

Btw, maybe stupid question, and I am probably making myself ridiculous, but my memory fails. Do we know more about why he stopped being the first sword of Braavos? Was he to old and sent away?

We don't, but that seems to be the implication.

No it isnt at least bit strange that former first sword of Braavos is training HANDS DAUGHTER how to fight.

Its the second best position in all of the Westeros if youre looking at it from social prestige perspective.

THE HAND is the second most powerful man in the realm so i can hardly imagine a better position for a stranger, especially a kind whose skills are almost unknown or not very much appreciated in Westeros.

I think your forgetting this is a secrate engagement, it is unseemly for a girl to be trained in swordsmanship in Westeros. So all this posterity your eluding he gains from his connection with the hand is uesless because he's being used as cover and is a plaything for Arya.

Just a suggestion, but maybe it's not the fame he's after. Maybe Ned just paid him well. ;)

And the occupation is honourable enough. I can't understand the notion that Syrio teaching swordcraft is somehow unbelievable because the pupil is a 10 year old girl. Would it be perfectly credible if he'd been teaching Tommen instead?

Oh yes, the notion that a legend could teach a ten year old girl secrectly is so ludicrous if he's not a FM with another agenda:

"Cats." Ned sighed. "Perhaps it was a mistake to hire this Braavosi. If you like, I will ask Jory to take over your lessons. Or I might have a quiet word with Ser Barristan. He was the finest sword in the Seven Kingdoms in his youth."

I suppose Barristan is the FM in chief here.

His skills are irrelevant, he isn't appreciated in Westeros because nobody knows who he is.
Ok, I don't agree with RW, but you are contradicting the text:

Ned frowned. The man Syrio Forel had come with an excellent reputation, and his flamboyant Braavosi style was well suited to Arya's slender blade, yet still . . .

I'm pretty sure that having "an excellent reputation" means being known and appreciated.

As for why he teaches Arya, I think that serving what in Europe would have been a king to serve as mentor for his daughter is a hefty step-up from independent duelling teacher in KL, no matter how good the reputation. It's not who he teaches that's important, it's who contracts him. After all he was "first sword" for the Sealord of Braavos before, and Ned is more powerful than the Sealord of Braavos, what's weird here with accepting the job? He did that once before. It's like saying Rodrick Cassel is not in a more prestigious and lucrative position being the Winterfell master at arms than being some teacher in the capital.

Ok, I don't agree with RW, but you are contradicting the text:

Ned frowned. The man Syrio Forel had come with an excellent reputation, and his flamboyant Braavosi style was well suited to Arya's slender blade, yet still . . .

I'm pretty sure that having "an excellent reputation" means being known and appreciated.

Hmm, that's true. But if his reputation is so great why does everyone accept the idea that he's Arya's dancing instructor instead of a master swordsman? :)

You're not seriously suggesting that Eddard Stark, Hand of the King, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North is having a Braavosi knave teach his youngest daughter the art of the blade are you?! Why it's... inconcievable!

You're not seriously suggesting that Eddard Stark, Hand of the King, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North is having a Braavosi knave teach his youngest daughter the art of the blade are you?! Why it's... inconcievable!

Right? Talk about gossip...

But if his reputation as a swordsman is so well known in Westeros, wouldn't it raise a red flag if Ned hired him as a "dancing instructor" for his daughter?

Archived