EURO 2008

Hereward

Porto´s ban was overturned in the first appeal ( drat it, had heard rumours it would) but there will be appeals on the appeals. Cheating cheaters who cheat, those who voted against the ban are probably getting paid in hookers like the referees.

Deco got the day off ( sort of) to go to Barcelona on "personal business". press is in a fit, giving his going to Chelsea as a nearly sure thing, and not liking the conflict of interests very much ( and there is a conflict. I don´t like it either), but more rumours say it´s to sign his divorce as final. Which would make sense it happens before he signs any new contracts, specially higher paying ones. I will concentrate on football, and zomg the shirtless pics, he is fit as everything ( and honestly worth seeing), which is absolutely excellent footballingwise and much different than how things were in Barcelona. The Barcelona fitness and medical regime is looking dodgier and dodgier all the tume.

I would bet Deco will NOT play Sunday though. Or Bosingwa because he is the only carded player so far. UEFA asked Portugal to not play a training session there - this is bad, it´s the stadium of all switzerland games and that stadium will have to handle this one more game, TWO quarterfinals and a semifinal in the next 2 weeks. It´s ridiculous to have all the quarters and semis and final on just two stadiums. Speculation is line up is going to be all the subs, seems possible, but it probably even means more danger to Switzerland. In 06 and 00, Portugal was in the same situation and played subs ( in 00, even the third goalkeeper got subbed in. rui costa and luis figo on the bench juggling the ball. it was just beautiful, one of the most beautiful games Portugal ever played) and they played like demons wanting to win and won the matches and presented their candidacies to start more games. BTW a detail which will surely get in the calculations, yellow cards do not expire at the end of group stage, but just at the end of the quarters. so playing subs looking like a real good idea.

France, my instinctive, gut feeling is that they are still on transition. Italy did not go into transition, maybe they can manage without it, France and Portugal got into transition by the retirement of essential names which filled important positions. How renewed Portugal is we will see, but I like Scolari´s tactics during qualifying and preparation - qualification was hard, the friendlies were lost, but I think he got a few players adapted in enough to be useful. If France managed to do the same or not, dunno, but Nasri ( or whoever) is not quite ready yet to fill Zidane´s shoes. My hunch is that the much-maligned ( this season. unfairly) Thierry Henry might work much much better than Anelka and Benzema and they might surprise. Or not ;) But considering the great players on both sides, how well Holland played as a team, I am looking forward to this game, hope it´s a good one.

Well that Luca Toni goal was definitly not offside from what I see in the reruns. Italy was robbed there.

Generally speaking about the first half, still no good football from Italy, all they do is put long balls into Toni, but they have created plenty of chances, just haven't converted them. It's poor man's football what Italy is showing, but it may get them the 3 points. Roumania, much the same as in the 1st match, the underlying side but still not conceded a goal. Should only be a matter of time though.

[quote name='firqorescu' post='1397181' date='Jun 13 2008, 16.17']What about the rumor that Deco was going to Inter? It seems like a pretty credible option as well..[/quote]

Mourinho is at Inter, Scolari at Chelsea, he knows both managers well and they are both great teams. Personally I would think he would fit italian game better ( specially since Deco is invoking his age to have Barcelona sell him more cheaply), but portuguese media seems to be convinced it is Chelsea. English clubs, particularly Chelsea pay their players better, might be a factor.

That was fun, though obviously a big part of the entertainment is watching Italy fail. Badly taken penalty, you can't get past Buffon that easily. Mutu seemed completely devastated after that.

[quote name='Mangusto Escorregadio']Good save from Buffon after a strange penalty decision. Italy are hanging in there.[/quote]

Strange? The Italian had his arm wrapped around the Romanian's neck!

[quote name='Jean AS' post='1397424' date='Jun 13 2008, 18.57']Strange? The Italian had his arm wrapped around the Romanian's neck![/quote]

This was only obvious on the replay, which I've only just seen. :)

I agree, it was a blatant penalty.

I didn't find it that obvious to be honest, but then again, that is probably why I am not a referee.

Italy were well poor, christ, the amount of loss of possession on the midfield!

[quote name='Loras Bernadotte-LÃ¥ngstrum' post='1397456' date='Jun 13 2008, 19.21']Wow and wow.

If Holland win right now, the start money is that Romania will make it past to the quarters... :stunned:

Go figure....[/quote]

Yep. If Holland win they'll have topped the group and probably won't be all that motivated against Romania.

At least France knows just how desperately they need a point tonight. They have to figure the Dutch will rest their better players against Romania if given a guaranteed top spot in the group.

They must draw to ensure France-Italy is meaningful.

Archived