NFL 2008 - Week One

Space Bandito

My methodology:
1. Better record wins.
**1a. For Weeks 1 and 2, use last year's record.
2. If records equal, home team wins.
**2a. For Weeks 3 and 4, last year's record precedes home team as tiebreaker.

I applied a penalty starting about halfway through the season for being unbeaten; this first had effect for ARI@NE Week 16.

Unfortunately, I have since discovered that there are errors in my table of games. I will have to do some recalculating. To give myself a time buffer to do that in, here are the predicted winners for Weeks 1 and 2 through this method:

Week 1: ARI, CIN, DAL, DEN, DET, GB, IND, JAX, NE, NYG, NYJ, PHI, PIT, SD, SEA, TAM
Week 2: ARI, CAR, CLE, DAL, GB, HOU, IND, JAX, KC, NE, NYG, SD, SEA, TAM, TEN, WAS

[quote name='the silent speaker' post='1504945' date='Sep 3 2008, 19.02']My methodology:
1. Better record wins.
**1a. For Weeks 1 and 2, use last year's record.
2. If records equal, home team wins.
**2a. For Weeks 3 and 4, last year's record precedes home team as tiebreaker.

I applied a penalty starting about halfway through the season for being unbeaten; this first had effect for ARI@NE Week 16.

Unfortunately, I have since discovered that there are errors in my table of games. I will have to do some recalculating. To give myself a time buffer to do that in, here are the predicted winners for Weeks 1 and 2 through this method:

Week 1: ARI, CIN, DAL, DEN, DET, GB, IND, JAX, NE, NYG, NYJ, PHI, PIT, SD, SEA, TAM
Week 2: ARI, CAR, CLE, DAL, GB, HOU, IND, JAX, KC, NE, NYG, SD, SEA, TAM, TEN, WAS[/quote]

So basically, it's impossible for a team to improve on the previous year. Ok.

[quote name='the silent speaker' post='1504986' date='Sep 3 2008, 16.31']It's possible. It's just not likely to see a big jump.[/quote]
Every year atleast one or two teams make a big jump from the previous year. Although the Browns did not make the playoffs last year the did go from 4-12 in 2006 to 10-6 in 07. The Bucs go from 4-12 to more than doubling their win total to win their division.

Teams also fall each year from big winners to big losers. (I would take the Bears in 06 and 07, but I never thought they should have won as many as they did or make it to the Super Bowl in 06, but the Jets did go 10-6 in 2006 and making the playoffs, only to drop in 2007 to 4-12, and other than the Patriots being in the AFC east, they were in a weak divison last year with no other team even going 8-8.

[quote name='Zaphyl' post='1505360' date='Sep 4 2008, 06.00']Every year atleast one or two teams make a big jump from the previous year. Although the Browns did not make the playoffs last year the did go from 4-12 in 2006 to 10-6 in 07. The Bucs go from 4-12 to more than doubling their win total to win their division.

Teams also fall each year from big winners to big losers. (I would take the Bears in 06 and 07, but I never thought they should have won as many as they did or make it to the Super Bowl in 06, but the Jets did go 10-6 in 2006 and making the playoffs, only to drop in 2007 to 4-12, and other than the Patriots being in the AFC east, they were in a weak divison last year with no other team even going 8-8.[/quote]

When trying to figure out which team is going to make a big turn around, I look at the how many close games they lost from the previous year. Then factor in any improvements they may have made. I think the Raiders are due for a big turn around. They lost 6 games last year by 1 score or less. The games they did lose big where mostly against those teams we consider elite last year. (GB, SD, and JAX)

Given that they have a decent secondary, and some improvements to the offense. I see the Raiders turning it around, going at least 8-8 and maybe as high as 10-6.

The Raiders still have major problems at the QB position. JaMarcus is extremely talented and extremely raw. Their WR are mediocre. Zach Miller is a decent possession-type TE, but not a playmaker. I'd say one more year for the Raiders.

If Al doesn't screw up their development by undercutting his coach.
Which he will.

Raiders also have the easiest pre-December schedule of anyone.

It goes:
Home - Broncos
Away - Chiefs
Away - Bills
Home - Chargers
Away - Saints
Home - Jets
Away - Ravens
Home - Falcons
Home - Panthers
Away - Dolphins
Away - Broncos
Home - Chiefs

In all, they face [b]one[/b] 2007 Playoff Team in September, October and November combined. That's ridiculous. Especially considering they're a non-playoff team as well and don't get to play themselves. If this team has the mojo of a team on the rise, they should be hovering around .500 going into the final month of the year. Gotta start building somewhere and that early slate gives them an excellent opportunity to get some confidence

[quote name='Bronn Stone' post='1505520' date='Sep 4 2008, 10.31']The Raiders still have major problems at the QB position. JaMarcus is extremely talented and extremely raw. Their WR are mediocre. Zach Miller is a decent possession-type TE, but not a playmaker. I'd say one more year for the Raiders.

If Al doesn't screw up their development by undercutting his coach.
Which he will.[/quote]

I agree, but I would say 8-8 is definintely within there grasp. If Al doesn't screw it up, I can see the Raiders turning into the next Charger like team. Stacked at every position. Though like the Chargers I can't see them getting over the hump and making it to the Superbowl....at least not unless Al backs off and lets the coaches do their job.

[quote name='Bormon' post='1505518' date='Sep 4 2008, 07.30']Once again Tom Brady is on the Injury report with a foot injury AND right shoulder injury. You know, he set records last year with that injury....look out once he is 100% ;)[/quote]

Hell most of the time, about half of the Patriot team is on the injury report. You are right, if they ever get 100% health, lookout they will be one of the best teams in the NFL :P .

[url="http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/09/04/culpepper-announces-retirement/"]Culpepper announces retirement[/url]

[quote]Adam,
Since I do not have a team where I can do a press conference, I chose to write what I would have said. You are the first to get this.
– Daunte

Farewell NFL.... yadda yadda yadda[/quote]

I do not really want to touch on this much. I believe he has been mentioned many times in the NFL threads, the only thing I have to say is he thinks he has not had a fair chance but that is because he was not willing to sign for the veteran minimum. He has not played much after his injury, and the games he did play in he did not look good in most if not all of them.

[quote name='Space Bandito' post='1505609' date='Sep 4 2008, 09.05']He sounds like Jeff George. Thinks he is better than he was/is. He will be back next year.[/quote]
I think he will be back this year. As soon as a team loses their starter they are going to call him for possibly be a back up position.

[quote name='Space Bandito' post='1505621' date='Sep 4 2008, 09.13']Well as you said he did not look good after that injury. If a team needs him (Kansas City etc) they will sign him. But Teams want players who want to play and love to play not players who feel like they deserve to play.[/quote]
Most players in the NFL believe they deserve to play, but yes you are right a player who just outright shows that such DC, teams try to stay away from them. Terrell Owens would probably be the perfect example of that when the Eagles had cut him. The only two teams I remember trying to go at him were Dallas and Denver, and if I am not mistaken Denver had said they really were not trying to sign him but the media had said they were. Now TO also had a bad reputation so that might be a bad example.

I'd be surprised if McFadden didn't do well during his career (not necessarily Pro-Bowler, but reliable). I'm just not sure how successful he'll be on the Raiders for the first few years with JaMarcus Russell at QB but if any rookie RB is prepared to play for a team without a passing threat, my money's on him

I am going over to a Giant Fan's house to watch the game. Wish him luck. I will attempt to not kill him. Although I am playing fantasy football for the first time this year and I did draft Brandon Jacobs. :dunno: Let's just hope I make it through the opening bullshit. Off to go get beer. Enjoy the season everyone.

The Skins are getting nowhere fast. All I want is a TD to Moss (fantasy-related), and what do they do? Run Portis for losses.

*sigh*

I bet Jaime is getting frustrated.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. As I type it, Moss scores.

Archived