College Football 2008

Rhom

I'm getting real pissed at the kool-aid drinking this year. USC goes up for beating Oregon? What an amazing display of ability! Seriously, Vanderbilt should be above all of these garbage chokefest "national champion shoe in" teams.

Top 7 should be Bama, OU, LSU, Texas, Dandy Vandy, Tech and Mizzou in whatever order.

[quote name='Anatole Kuragin' post='1543413' date='Oct 5 2008, 15.28']I'm getting real pissed at the kool-aid drinking this year. USC goes up for beating Oregon? What an amazing display of ability! Seriously, Vanderbilt should be above all of these garbage chokefest "national champion shoe in" teams.

Top 7 should be Bama, OU, LSU, Texas, Dandy Vandy, Tech and Mizzou in whatever order.[/quote]

Vandy is having a good season, but lets not go off the rails here.

[quote name='Anatole Kuragin' post='1543444' date='Oct 5 2008, 16.05']I think they should be put at least above UGA, BYU, Florida, and USC.[/quote]

Why not throw LSU in there as well, their resumes are almost identical?

[quote name='Celtigo' post='1543455' date='Oct 5 2008, 15.13']Why not throw LSU in there as well, their resumes are almost identical?[/quote]

There's a small difference between LSU and those teams:

LSU hasn't choked and lost against a shit team yet.

Also, unlike BYU and USC, LSU plays REAL teams.

EDIT: Georgia didn't lose to a shit team, but were still upset. They should be higher than the others I mentioned.

[quote name='Anatole Kuragin' post='1543457' date='Oct 5 2008, 16.20']There's a small difference between LSU and those teams:

LSU hasn't choked and lost against a shit team yet.

Also, unlike BYU and USC, LSU plays [b]REAL[/b] teams.

EDIT: Georgia didn't lose to a shit team, but were still upset. They should be higher than the others I mentioned.[/quote]

Haha dude my main point is that rankings in the sixth week reflect incomplete and unbalanced schedules. One of the reasons some of these teams, like LSU, might be riding high is because their opponents to date have been nothing but mediocre. Before the rage starts about rankings and positions it would be best to let the teams play more than half a schedule and 1-3 conference games.

[quote name='Celtigo' post='1543485' date='Oct 5 2008, 15.57']Haha dude my main point is that rankings in the sixth week reflect incomplete and unbalanced schedules. One of the reasons some of these teams, like LSU, might be riding high is because their opponents to date have been nothing but mediocre. Before the rage starts about rankings and positions it would be best to let the teams play more than half a schedule and 1-3 conference games.[/quote]

This is even more reason to weed out the teams who *never* play anyone good so that the ones who do have a fair chance.

I didn't do my pick'ems for 2 weeks in a row and I haven't watched a game for sometime now. I missed Alabama-Georgia because I was at a wedding. Goddamn I wanted to watch that one.

On a funny note, I'm in line for food at the wedding which takes place in Maryland. One guy yells out how Maryland beat Clemson and everyone cheered......................I kept my mouth shut and moved along..

5 games into the season and Northwestern is undefeated. Michigan State poses severe problems for us but I'm hoping the home location gives us the edge.

Now I'll roll into the topic for my usual Monday morning perusal. Its usually quite entertaining to go back and read so many of the posts that were made during the games.

I'll admit, Kentucky did about as good as I could ask. The defense was still largely stellar. Other than one huge run early in the game, they were more than up to the task against Bama. The other TD for Bama came from a freak unforced fumble near the endzone by UK QB Matt Hartline. The offense also showed some sparks of life in there. 17-14 at Bama is certainly well within the realm of respectability IMO.

Next week is South Carolina in Lexington and the Cats have never beat Spurrier... I want that to change [i]badly.[/i] Now that Vandy is playing above their heads on the gridiron, we need this USCe win to get to a bowl. The tough thing about being a UK fan is trying to figure out where the hell we can get 3 SEC wins... and if Vandy isn't a guarantee, it gets real dicey.

ugh I hate picking against the spread, I only missed picking three games this week, but against the spread I did a lot worse.

Looking at the first lines for this week and I think some of these are nuts. The line for Penn State/Wisconsin is 7? I think 10-14 is a heck of a lot more reasonable, but I suppose that's the effect of not covering against purdue last week.

Likewise for USC/Arizona state, 25 is an insane spread for against Arizona state, 14-17 would be more in line with my thinking. But I can't pick against the spread here because USC is my team and that would be jinxish and disloyal.

I think the spread for the Mizzou/Ok St game is spot on, I'm a bit disappointed that the texas/oklahoma game isn't bigger, but I'm still taking texas in that game.

Now I gotta think that officials in the LSU/Florida game are going to be watching really closely for roughing the passer penalties after the [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3630858"]foolish comments of LSU lineman Ricky Jean-Francois.[/url]

there will never be a way to stop that kind of bile. these guys are pumped up kids looking for an outlet/moment in the spotlight and reporters are parasites. players stand no chance in NCAA football...well, unless a coach issues a gag order. is that even acceptable though?

[quote name='Triskele' post='1546793' date='Oct 7 2008, 18.00']Who is the fucking bitch who scheduled her wedding on a Saturday in the Fall?

:P[/quote]

my ex bro in law scheduled his wedding the day of the iron bowl. almost every dude in the place was either constantly on the phone or huddled around the one small tv in the church; and it was pregame!

now that i think about it, though, most women care fuck all about football...but the day of the iron bowl?!?!?! in alabama?!?!?

madness.

I had a friend that was asked to be in the grooms wedding party and he said no and did not attend b/c the idiot scheduled the day of UGA vs. Bama. This was back in the 90's. I had my wedding on a Friday before a game weekend. The first day of the honeymoon was spent tailgating and attending the UGA vs. Ole Miss game the next day.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1546793' date='Oct 7 2008, 16.00']Who is the fucking bitch who scheduled her wedding on a Saturday in the Fall?

At least Oregon State was not playing, I might have had to use my AM/FM hearing aid :P
This is why I got married in May.

[quote name='Anatole Kuragin' post='1546677' date='Oct 7 2008, 16.35']I love Jean-Francois, but man. What an idiot.[/quote]

I can't believe the Gators are a 4 point favorite. Have they not seen our offense? The game's at home, but let's get real. LSU's gonna win by at least a touchdown.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1546793' date='Oct 7 2008, 17.00']Who is the fucking bitch who scheduled her wedding on a Saturday in the Fall?

It may be a last test to decide whether the couple is truly compatible or not. If she wants to schedule the wedding on a Saturday in the fall, and he kind of sputters and says, "But...but...but Alabama/Auburn is that day!" then perhaps they need to rethink whether they are really soulmates.

If I end up with a fall wedding, I will schedule it for early September, when the games are all on the order of "USC vs. Northwestern Vacaville State."

[quote name='L'Sana' post='1547925' date='Oct 8 2008, 12.04']It may be a last test to decide whether the couple is truly compatible or not. If she wants to schedule the wedding on a Saturday in the fall, and he kind of sputters and says, "But...but...but Alabama/Auburn is that day!" then perhaps they need to rethink whether they are really soulmates.[/quote]

So are you saying that if he [i]doesn't[/i] protest the interference with the Iron Bowl that they are not compatible (gives up on Bama/Auburn too easy)? Or that they are compatible because he wouldn't put football first? I've honestly known both kinds of girls.

Around here, smart women know better than to schedule any sort of social event on Kentucky basketball gamedays.

Archived