College Football 2008

Rhom

Still, going on the road to Utah and losing by 3 is pretty impressive, especially after such a big win against USC. Oregon State could be a force this season. At the very least they're going to be a hard team to deal with.

Makes me wonder how good Penn State is.

Also, talk about a brutal schedule - Penn State, USC and Utah within the space of a month. Ouch.

[quote name='TheHoundRules' post='1542868' date='Oct 4 2008, 17.11']How the fuck did UGA get blow out by Alabama. I am watching the UK vs. Bama game and just can not understand it.[/quote]
The game last week reminded me of UF-Bama in 2005. Bama was sky high, because they thought they were back and whooped the shit out of the Gators. Prothro broke his leg in the 4th quarter and the rest of Bama's season promptly went down the shitter. I expected Bama to have a let down against KY, but I'm surprised it's this close what with all Saban's bad mouthing of their second half performance last week.

After the Gator's performance against Arkansas today, I am officially worried about the rest of our season. Unless something drastic happens the next few days, LSU should kill us. KY, Vandy, USCe, UGA, and FSU all are 50/50 games. We should beat the Citadel handily, but other than that there are no gimme games.

Bama's playing like LSU did for their middle 5 or 6 games last season: undisciplined, unfocused, and giving up way too much.

Hopefully Les has reigned in his boys and we can take down Bama. These are the games that make me think that it's possible.

[quote name='TheHoundRules' post='1542930' date='Oct 4 2008, 19.10']Vandy just beat Auburn. Wow. They are for real.

Auburn has got to find a QB. Todd and Burns are both really bad.[/quote]

Has the "two QB system" ever been successful? They need to just pick one, and then start working on pumping his self-esteem.

[quote name='TheHoundRules' post='1542936' date='Oct 4 2008, 19.17']Mizzou made that look easy.[/quote]

Mizzou made me wonder why I should even bother watching this game, but Nebraska is looking pretty good on their first drive as well.

ETA: That was a very impressive TD pass by NU.

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1542940' date='Oct 4 2008, 21.21']Has the "two QB system" ever been successful? They need to just pick one, and then start working on pumping his self-esteem.[/quote]

UGA did well with Greene and Shockley, but both are good QB's. Auburns 2 QB's are really bad. I am sure our Auburn posters would agree that they need a big improvement from their QB's.

UN responded well. This could be a shoot out. 52 to 42 type score.

Well, that sucked on all levels. I know that USC is better than Oregon this year, but I expected Oregon to play competitively. Instead, they played poorly on every facet of the game.

What really pissed me off was not going for it 4 times on fourth and short. Bellotti, you're such a fucking coward.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1542922' date='Oct 4 2008, 17.40']Cal switched QBs today from Riley to Longshore, even though Riley has 7 TDs and only 1 pick in four games. Longshore had a decent day in a win over ASU, but ASU was terrible on offense and Cal was great on D and wasnt missing any tackles.[/quote]

Riley was awful against Colorado State. Missing open guys left and right. The score ended up lopsided, but he wasn't good.

Longshore wasn't great yesterday. But he managed. His one pick was terrible (though his TD-saving tackle after it was extremely well done). He lacks touch on the deep ball though. I think part of the reason that Tedford loves him is that he can hit guys on a line every time in practice. This doesn't seem to translate to games. His throws appear to lack touch - I get the sense this is because receiver routes are never as precise in game situations as in practice. You have to give more wiggle room.

Carpenter held the ball way too long for ASU and kept getting smacked around. Cal's sophomore DL Cameron Jordan looked like a real player making his first start. Their star CB Syd'Quan Thompson was as good as usual - he's the first Cal CB I've seen who is clearly an NFL starter at some point (Nnamdi Asomugha was a safety at Cal and Deltha O'Neal was just so raw - having spent two years as an RB) and his counterpart Darian Hagan is coming into his own finally. Cal's defense was stout - if they play like that from here out Cal is a definite threat for the Rose Bowl or better.

Cal's offense wasn't very good. With Best hurt, they really lack for playmakers on that side of the ball. Their WR are average, their TE (Morrah) will be a good one, but is still raw. The tailback who started (Vereen) is going to be good someday, but still learning the position.

All in all, this is probably not a Cal team to make a huge splash. But I'd keep them on your radar for next year.

our defense is fine...i firmly believe that they'll keep the offense in every game. our offense was fine in the first quarter when we were running the i and power i. still haven't sussed out why they went away from it.

IMO, vandy has no chance against UGA and florida and, really, shouldn't have won last night. i'm wondering when lowder is gonna start flying boosters around in his plane to recruit a new coach in secret :P

i think we'll be fine. i'm not worried about missing a bowl game or anything like that because we won't. also, that vandy OB nixon lost his job last night. the other guy is much better.

this will sound like whining but i really don't care, the better team did not win. this year has been absolutely crazy.

ETA: i think that it's time to pull barrett trotter off the practice squad and give him a chance. in limited action, he played just as well as kodi and chris during the spring and summer and he's much more suited to what they want to do. he's a better passer than chris and kodi and he runs much better than chris does. he should be the starter. which translates into neil caudle not getting a chance but, who cares. none of this will happen, of course, but it should.

[quote name='dornish prince' post='1543324' date='Oct 5 2008, 12.41']IMO, vandy has no chance against UGA and florida and, really, shouldn't have won last night. i'm wondering when lowder is gonna start flying boosters around in his plane to recruit a new coach in secret :P[/quote]

I'm a vandy alum and I completely agree, it was more about how bad Auburn's offense is than anything else. Although we did beat Ole Miss, who beat Florida.

But you can't put up the kind of bottom of the conference stats in offense and defense and keep winning like vandy has, it will catch up to them eventually.

[quote name='Commodore' post='1543372' date='Oct 5 2008, 13.43']I'm a vandy alum and I completely agree, it was more about how bad Auburn's offense is than anything else. Although we did beat Ole Miss, who beat Florida.

But you can't put up the kind of bottom of the conference stats in offense and defense and keep winning like vandy has, it will catch up to them eventually.[/quote]
As long as Vandy doesn't give up any stupid points--a pick six or blocked punt--they should be able to hang with anyone in the SEC. Johnson has them playing disciplined football, which Florida and Georgia do not play. The days of Florida beating Vandy 70-7 are long over. :angry:

[quote name='Commodore' post='1543372' date='Oct 5 2008, 13.43']I'm a vandy alum and I completely agree, it was more about how bad Auburn's offense is than anything else. Although we did beat Ole Miss, who beat Florida.

But you can't put up the kind of bottom of the conference stats in offense and defense and keep winning like vandy has, it will catch up to them eventually.[/quote]

yeah. congratulations, nontheless though. when it hit zero, you guys were in the lead. i spent a lot of time making sure my post didn't denigrate vandy just because i'm an auburn fan. i could go on, ad infinitum, about how our offense is stinking it up. we won two other games (tenn and miss state) that we shouldn't have and it's solely because of our D.

until we find an offensive identity and learn to not play up or down to the level of our competition, we'll remain painful to watch on offense.

i say again, though, that our defense is, IMO, the best defense in the country.

Archived