Life is magical and full of joy

Padraig

[quote name='Bird of the Canals' post='1586202' date='Nov 12 2008, 08.24']YES YES YES YES YES! How long do you suppose it will take for them to finish filming the pilot episode?[/quote]
It'll be a while yet. First they have to take care of all the casting, location scouting, production design and set building, and production design for this will likely be somewhat more complicated than on most shows - more like for a major movie. But this is big that actual pre-production has begun. Now it will go beyond just being a pilot script and a series bible sitting on a shelf somewhere, and a budget sitting on another shelf somewhere, which is probably all that it is at this moment in time.

[quote name='Brudewollen' post='1586209' date='Nov 12 2008, 21.32']It'll be a while yet. First they have to take care of all the casting, location scouting, production design and set building, and production design for this will likely be somewhat more complicated than on most shows - more like for a major movie. But this is big that actual pre-production has begun. Now it will go beyond just being a pilot script and a series bible sitting on a shelf somewhere, and a budget sitting on another shelf somewhere, which is probably all that it is at this moment in time.[/quote]
That's a lot of details. It'll take how many months on estimate? 4-5?

Awesome. As a Wire fanatic, I can only imagine that they will knock this out of the park - first the pilot, then the series. (This thread is for magic and joy, goddamn it, don't spoil my dreams)

Also, has anyone found HBO's official press release that GRRM mentioned on his site? I'm curious what the folks over there are saying (not that it would be too informative).

[quote name='Brudewollen' post='1586209' date='Nov 12 2008, 05.32']It'll be a while yet. First they have to take care of all the casting, location scouting, production design and set building, and production design for this will likely be somewhat more complicated than on most shows - more like for a major movie. But this is big that actual pre-production has begun. Now it will go beyond just being a pilot script and a series bible sitting on a shelf somewhere, and a budget sitting on another shelf somewhere, which is probably all that it is at this moment in time.[/quote]

Ah ic. Well at least we know that some location scouting has already been done, as George mentioned in his blog a few months ago that he spent part of his Euro trip looking at suggested locations for the series.

Really good news,more hope for the show to get the green light.
Would like to know if pilot episode will be based on the prologue or the first chapter(Bran) from the book or maybe even mix of those two ?
Prologues is too short,imho,but first chapter does not make sense without it.
Anyone close to Martin can find this info ?

[quote name='igoraki' post='1586238' date='Nov 12 2008, 09.05']Really good news,more hope for the show to get the green light.
Would like to know if pilot episode will be based on the prologue or the first chapter(Bran) from the book or maybe even mix of those two ?
Prologues is too short,imho,but first chapter does not make sense without it.
Anyone close to Martin can find this info ?[/quote]

I would assume they would be able to take parts from both the prologue and the first chapter and put them into the pilot. Remember, 1 season per book. That means some chapters are going to have to be intermingled per episode, especially to make things flow better.

Also, can anyone tell me why Rome was cancelled after only 2 seasons? It was a great show and had a lot of fans. Was is costs? And if so, who's to say that won't happen w/ ASOIAF if it gets the green light??? I mean, I would assume ASOIAF would cost more than Rome did.

[quote]am i the only one who is not happy? a TV series will most likely cheapen the books, in my opinion. crap.[/quote]

Yes, you are the only one. Hbo has done a very good job in the past with it gritty shows and if the sets are like Rome than it only enriches the books.

Everyone needs to thank Terry Goodkind.

This would not have gotten the go ahead if Legend of the Seeker was a flop.

HBO was waiting to see how it did. It has pulled good ratings, and HBO hopes to ride that wave.

I cannot wait for this! Hopefully it started a new wave of fantasy/scifi coming to tv/bigscreen!

1. Dune being remade ( 2011 )
2. Foundation series being made ( 2011 )
3. ASOIAF
4. Enders Game ( 2010 )
5. Sword of truth
6. Rumors of the Wheel of Time being a major motion picture

Lets hope that classic fantasy like Zelazny's Amber, or Donaldsons Thomas Covenant gets made!

[quote name='Rhaegar the Unbeliever' post='1586397' date='Nov 12 2008, 16.04']Everyone needs to thank Terry Goodkind.

HBO was waiting to see how it did. It has pulled good ratings, and HBO hopes to ride that wave.

I cannot wait for this! Hopefully it started a new wave of fantasy/scifi coming to tv/bigscreen!

3. ASOIAF
4. Enders Game ( 2010 )
5. Sword of truth

Lets hope that classic fantasy like Zelazny's Amber, or Donaldsons Thomas Covenant gets made![/quote]

I'm never going to thank Goodkind for anything, well maybe I'd thank him if swore never to write again. However, you make a good point about potential new sf/f series being made. I'd love to see Amber or a proper Dune remake (Lynch with CGI?).

[quote name='Naknakkus' post='1586415' date='Nov 12 2008, 12.15']I'm never going to thank Goodkind for anything, well maybe I'd thank him if swore never to write again. However, you make a good point about potential new sf/f series being made. I'd love to see Amber or a proper Dune remake (Lynch with CGI?).[/quote]

Dune is in the works: [url="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1160419/"]Dune[/url] With a rather Decent director on board. I have high hopes.

It has always been my dream to see Amber on the big screen. One can only hope.

[quote name='Padraig' post='1586342' date='Nov 12 2008, 10.31']I don't believe we know for sure that the pilot will be filmed in Europe? Or am I wrong about this? People have mentioned Europe on this thread. And I know GRRM did suggest it was possible a few months ago.[/quote]
Shoot in Europe you can probably use a lot of real, old castles for the show and not do as much set building, or CGI work for that stuff. Also the countryside is more appropriate than say, Vancouver, where everything else gets shot.

How long will pre-production be? Dunno, depends on how much of a fast-track this is on. It sounds like some pre-lim stuff has already been done based on other posts, maybe at the producer's own expense. But with HBO paying for a pilot, it will go into high gear. Probably a couple of months - casting could be the most time consuming. Costume and set people can do amazing work very quickly.

Looking at [i]True Blood[/i], it sounds like the pilot was greenlit at the end of 2006/start 2007, it was shot early in the summer 2007, and it was picked up for a first season at the end of the summer.

Doesn't sound like an impossible timeframe, I suppose.

[quote name='Rhaegar the Unbeliever' post='1586397' date='Nov 12 2008, 11.04']Everyone needs to thank Terry Goodkind.

3. ASOIAF
4. Enders Game ( 2010 )
5. Sword of truth

Lets hope that classic fantasy like Zelazny's Amber, or Donaldsons Thomas Covenant gets made![/quote]

Don't forget Red Sonja and Conan (though...Brett Ratner is directing Conan...vomit). Oh and The Hobbit!

yes, Rome was cancelled because of costs. It was either 1 million a season, or a total of 1 million for the two seasons, plus i believe at some point the set burned down. its all on the 1st season box set, last CD extras. I cant remeber if there was a fire sometime in the Cinecitta history, or if it was the Rome set specifically that burned down, but I'm almost positive that it was the Rome set.

However, i also seem to recall on the DVD someone mentioning that they were thinking about cancelling due to costs regardless.

And I have the utmost faith in HBO, based on how amazing Rome was, that ASOIAF is going to be superb, perfect, etc. I have an "elite" group of books and other fiction that are my most treasured reading/viewing experiences, and ASOIAF and Rome are in the top 2 or 3 of my favorite (the AKIRA graphic novels making up the remainder of that triad).

EDIT: sorry, i meant 100 million dollars (big difference!)

A Red Sonja remake? seems they are going a little nuts...hopefully the new Conan will be good, but i will believe it when i see it.

Archived