World of Warcraft

TerraPrime

[quote name='Greywolf2375' post='1642795' date='Jan 9 2009, 13.25']So exactly how does one do this? Can not get past Skadi, actually...can't get past the gauntlet for some reason. Tried waiting for waves, going to the waves, meeting the waves in the middle. Typical group has been prot pally, holy pally & combos of the following DPS: boomkin, enh shammy, 2 arcane mages, surv hunter.

For a ranged based DPS, is it better to spawn the waves and wait at the start of the run for them to come to us? Wait? Are we just missing something simple with dealing with the waves and witch Drs?[/quote]

You mean in Utgarde Pinnacle? For one, don't take arcane mages. They oom way too fast to be any use. Trust me, I went as arcane once to a heroic, because my group told me to forget about respeccing for it, and afterwards I said no thank you, never again. NEVER. I oom in three minutes easy and the Skadi fight is about keeping enough mana in the first part so that you still have at least one mana gem or evocate left to kill the boss.

Let the waves come to you. Avoid standing in the breath, unless you absolutely have to or you can shield or ward out of it. Just pull your mobs over to the side whenever the frost breath appears, ranged should have 0 difficulty with this part. Kill spearmen as soon as they appear, and pick up the spears. Make your way over to where the machines are. It takes 6 hits of the spear on heroic to kill the protodrake (and if your spear people are retarded and use the harpoon gun before he gets near, smack them) before he lands. Continue killing adds. As I said before, mana can be a huge issue on this fight, so if your dps is sub-1.2k your healer is going to be very unhappy.

As soon as Skadi lands the tank must pick him up immediately, no questions asked. He can and will gib the healer, followed by the highest dps before the tank manages to get him, so if you have an pre-aggro abilities (aka consecrate) best use them. I've been in groups where taunt has been resisted and I've died. According to WoWWiki the event can be reset by running into the room you started, so I guess if there are problems and you don't want to incur repair costs, you can reset.

Once you've gotten aggro he will occasionally do a random target whirlwind that hits everyone around for like, 6k. If you are the target, haul ass from the rest of the group, since this will hurt. He also does poison spear, which for me I just iceblock out of. Anyway, should you have hit him a lot with the harpoons, he'll start the fight under 100%, so things should go fairly quickly once the gauntlet is over.

[quote name='Minaku' post='1642829' date='Jan 9 2009, 10.49']You mean in Utgarde Pinnacle?

As soon as Skadi lands the tank must pick him up immediately, no questions asked.[/quote]
The first time we did this, it was on normal and our druid healer seems to think we dont have to talk about anything ever on normal, since we are obviously all above strategy (at that point, my gear was pretty bad). We made it through the gauntlet with no problems, all picked up a harpoon, shot him out of the sky in one shot.... and wiped. I had no idea it was even a boss fight, so he wiped out all the clothies before I could even target him.

I've only had about an hour and a half to play or less per night all week, after waiting in the stupid queue forever. I'm not getting anything done.

But I have a question. Last night we did the first 2 bosses of Heroic UK, but I had to leave at 9 so we left after that and were going to pick it back up at 11 when I got back. But the whole place respawned. I didnt think locked dungeons respawned, we still had 2 hours or so on the day reset timer. Is this normal and I just didnt know about it? Thinking about it, I'm not sure if I've ever left a heroic unfinished.

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1642828' date='Jan 9 2009, 13.48']How do you mean, you're not getting past the waves? What's causing problems? I've always gone to where they spawn and take them there; you can't really easily kite them, but you can at least start beating on them immediately. Try and interrupt the warlock ones. How are you handling the harpoons?[/quote]
The first wave comes out, we meet it at the 2nd pillar and zoom through it. Then there are the harpoon throwers and other adds, sometimes a little weird to control when the climb the wall, but dealable. Not having any issues with the drake breath, everyone is moving side to side fine when needed. DPS from the groups have been 1400+, except for the enh shammy who is between 1k-1200.

We assign one person to grab the harpoons and shoot when we get to the guns. I think the big problem we are having is getting from the harpoon throwers/melee to the locks in time without them hosing the healer. Should I just try to keep the adds with me and get into the locks?

one change to the list of toons - one is an arc, one is an FFB mage, the one that is arc still has only gone in once or twice with us, so thankfully we haven't run into mana issues.

[quote name='BlueRose' post='1642858' date='Jan 9 2009, 14.07']But I have a question. Last night we did the first 2 bosses of Heroic UK, but I had to leave at 9 so we left after that and were going to pick it back up at 11 when I got back. But the whole place respawned. I didnt think locked dungeons respawned, we still had 2 hours or so on the day reset timer. Is this normal and I just didnt know about it? Thinking about it, I'm not sure if I've ever left a heroic unfinished.[/quote]
yes, I think it is a 2 hour timer reset. We had a similar think happen last night with Old Kingdom; got delayed in the middle and didn't feel like going back through all the respawns to get Amanitar. Does give you rep for the respawns you kill, which is a kind of silver lining to it.

[quote name='Greywolf2375' post='1642862' date='Jan 9 2009, 14.11']The first wave comes out, we meet it at the 2nd pillar and zoom through it. Then there are the harpoon throwers and other adds, sometimes a little weird to control when the climb the wall, but dealable. Not having any issues with the drake breath, everyone is moving side to side fine when needed. DPS from the groups have been 1400+, except for the enh shammy who is between 1k-1200.

We assign one person to grab the harpoons and shoot when we get to the guns. I think the big problem we are having is getting from the harpoon throwers/melee to the locks in time without them hosing the healer. Should I just try to keep the adds with me and get into the locks?

one change to the list of toons - one is an arc, one is an FFB mage, the one that is arc still has only gone in once or twice with us, so thankfully we haven't run into mana issues.[/quote]

Huh, then you should have no problem, between a shaman and two mages, that's earthshock and two counterspells, not to mention any stuns you have. If your dps isn't interrupting the caster, then move to the caster, forget consecrate (you're a pally right?). If I remember correctly the mini pillars on either side are line of sight, too, but I haven't been there in a couple of weeks and I don't usually have problems when I go, so I could be remembering wrong.

[quote name='Greywolf2375' post='1642795' date='Jan 9 2009, 14.25']So exactly how does one do this? Can not get past Skadi, actually...can't get past the gauntlet for some reason. Tried waiting for waves, going to the waves, meeting the waves in the middle. Typical group has been prot pally, holy pally & combos of the following DPS: boomkin, enh shammy, 2 arcane mages, surv hunter.

For a ranged based DPS, is it better to spawn the waves and wait at the start of the run for them to come to us? Wait? Are we just missing something simple with dealing with the waves and witch Drs?[/quote]

We have sucess with working out way up the gauntlet, with the healer at the back calling out "left" or "right" to indicate where Skadi's run is going each pass. Deal with mobs as you work your way along, collect harppons as you go.

What did NOT work for us was having the tank trying to collect all the mobs and then tank the lot close to the harpoon guns.

[quote name='Aratan' post='1642893' date='Jan 9 2009, 11.33']We have sucess with working out way up the gauntlet, with the healer at the back calling out "left" or "right" to indicate where Skadi's run is going each pass. Deal with mobs as you work your way along, collect harppons as you go.[/quote]
This is exactly what we do too.

We didnt re-clear UK either when it was repopped, we went for our lock to get the wand from the fist boss, which he did.

I normally rush forward and get about half the total initial adds at once (more or less depending on the healer), then pause to get them dead to avoid there being too many to handle. Then advance to the harpoon guns.

Generally I do start to run into issues where mobs approaching end up on someone other than me at least initially, but outside of a pug that wasn't going to succeed anyway, this hasn't generally been a problem. Still I'd love to have consecrate or death & decay to plant.

I often feel like the dps isn't handling the harpoons, though. Probably because a couple of the people I regularly have are a bit crazy about killing and would rather stab the next harpooner than pick up a harpoon.

I've only been to H.UPinn once (only time I've actually been there) and they somehow glitched the encounter so that it let us get to the wave spawning room before any mobs actually came out.
We simply stood in there and AoE'd everything as they spawned - the spear-designate would run out, use the machine and then come back to help with the adds.
I died twice during the fight - but we got through it, :dunno: .
We had a pally tank and a UH.DK as our spear guy.

[quote name='Tobin' post='1643037' date='Jan 9 2009, 15.58']I've only been to H.UPinn once (only time I've actually been there) and they somehow glitched the encounter so that it let us get to the wave spawning room before any mobs actually came out.
We simply stood in there and AoE'd everything as they spawned - the spear-designate would run out, use the machine and then come back to help with the adds.
I died twice during the fight - but we got through it, :dunno: .
We had a pally tank and a UH.DK as our spear guy.[/quote]

People love to glitch that encounter, which I don't get. It only makes it harder imo.

[quote]for the fact that the priest girl who got us all together was booted after the second wipe on the second boss. I felt bad for her and honestly I don't know how anyone can tell how another player is doing without a meter of some sort - unless, of course, they're just standing around doing NOTHINB.[/quote]There are a ton of meters people routinely run. Whenever I PuG I absolutely use meters, and look at them early. It's important to know who you're dealing with. If you're a tank, it's very important to know how your healing is, and it's pretty obvious early on how it's going.

[quote name='Mandy' post='1643099' date='Jan 9 2009, 13.30']for the fact that the priest girl who got us all together was booted after the second wipe on the second boss. I felt bad for her and honestly I don't know how anyone can tell how another player is doing without a meter of some sort - unless, of course, they're just standing around doing NOTHINB. If the group wipes, is it automatically the healer's fault?.[/quote]

I think you just kind of get a feel for how people are doing, even without meters. It helps when you know a dungeon well, which of course you cant know on your first time through.

It's not automatically the healer's fault at all, it depends on the circumstance. But my group jokes all the time that if the healer dies, it's the tank's fault, and if the tank dies, it's the healer's fault. :)

In a pug run you don't really need a meter to know how the healer is. I like meters to judge how the dps is, especially if I decide from the rate of kills that it's not good, it's nice to see who the incompetent ones are.

As a tank, I know if the healer's bad by seeing how my health jumps up and down, and also by looking at the healer's mana after a pull. If I'm dying without overpulling, that pretty much means the healer is bad and/or undergeared. If the healer is at 20% mana after a three-mob pull that I've seen healers sit at 80% mana at the end of, the healer is bad and/or undergeared.

Agreed on wanting to play with friends. I absolutely hate playing with total strangers (not least because most of them are somewhat less competent than my toenail clippings), and it can be very frustrating to find that you just can't, due to levels and time commitments.

If the tank dies, it's the healer's fault.
If the healer dies, it's the tank's fault.
If the DPS dies, it's their own damn fault.

That's the general rule, although it's not really applicable in raids or in some of the more ... interesting encounters in 5-mans.

I know what you mean Mandy. It's probalby one reason I've been bouncing to WAR lately.

I haven't really leveled up in WoW with friends since the first 6 months of the game's release though... but it was why I transfered a char to this server. Everyone I knew on my last 2 servers has quit the game...

Heroic Utgard:

At the start, our tank rushes up as fast as possible, and then we aoe the packs. It's nice if you have one melee who can tackle the stragglers that get loose from the pack. But no big deal if you don't.

Have 2 people collect harpoons. You can shoot the drake twice in every pass. However, watch for the boss. Just because the game prompt says he's in range, doesn't seem to always be true. Wait till you see him, then harpoon. The center gun station always hits, and then you use the left or the right one depending on where the boss is. This will bring down the drake twice as fast.

Have the person doing the last harpoon call it out beforehand. The tank should stand outside of the room, behind the guns. Everyone else should try to wait inside the doorway. This means the boss will have to go through the tank to get to the rest of the group. Then as you tank, move him away from the gun station by walking backwards down the way you came. This gives ppl room to avoid the whirlwind. The boss usually goes down quite fast unless you get a lot of melee dps (who'll likely die from whirlwind).

Archived