MMA 2009

Ser Barry

[quote name='GSP' post='1738326' date='Mar 30 2009, 02.42']God Bj

I didn't even think of that. The MMA forums are bound to get even more annoying after this flock of new fans shows up.[/quote]
Actually, I was thinking more of how annoying it would be in real life. I pretty much only read/post about MMA here and at another site that's just for my family and friends. Haven't read Sherdog in years, as I can feel my brain cells screaming for mercy every time I go there.

I can just see the arguments that might be taking place there, though: "STFU dude, Bonello and Westbrook would kick the shit out of that Machida pansy! Go back to your momma's basement, fag!"

[quote name='Ken Stone' post='1738509' date='Mar 30 2009, 05.19']Yeah this bothers me too. In the show the have the victims tell their problems to the MMA fighter who then says "Yeah I'll help you out". In reality you know that the MMA fighters probably respect the guy willing to step into a cage with them more than the little pussys who cry about how they are getting bullied.[/quote]
That's exactly it, right there. I bet the pro fighters are thinking just that. I assume the show was hoping to build up sympathy for the victims, but it's almost impossible to root for them when they're saying shit like "You're going down, dude" to the bully, then hiding behind Mayhem and the pro fighter.

[quote]Regardless of the actual merits of the show I can't stop watching, so there it is.[/quote]
Yeah, you and me both. I'm too disgusted and fascinated with the show to stop watching. So there it is. Doesn't say much for me, I guess.

* Carlos Condit vs.[b] Martin Kampmann[/b] - Pretty much a coin flip call based on the fact that I like the Dane more
* [b]Ryan Bader[/b] vs. Carmelo Marrero - Wrestling will probably cancel out, Bader's got a deadly, deadly right
* Rafael dos Anjos vs. [b]Tyson Griffin[/b] - By decision almost certainly. Be nice if Griffin could finish someone for once.
* Junie Browning vs. [b]Cole Miller[/b] - head and heart for this one. Like damn near everyone, I can't stand Junie

PRELIMINARY CARD (Un-televised)

* [b]Jeremy Stephens[/b] vs. Gleison Tibau - Heart over head here. I know Stephens has problems against elite ground game opponents
* [b]Ricardo Almeida[/b] vs. Matt Horwich
* [b]Brock Larson[/b] vs. Jesse Sanders - 24 and 2, Larson's a beast
* [b]Nick Catone[/b] vs. Tim Credeur - I've seen Tim fight more but Catone has a hell of a lot of hype behind him. I'm assuming it's deserved but have no clue.
* Nissen Osterneck vs. [b]Jorge Rivera[/b] - Rivera's a real experienced old cage dog. Win or lose, he'll bring a fight
* Rob Kimmons vs. Joe Vedepo - ? Don't know either fighter
* Tim McKenzie vs. Aaron Simpson - Don't know either fighter
* Ryan Jensen vs. [b]Steve Steinbeiss[/b] - IIRC Steinbeiss is that hockey enforcer turned MMA guy who has fought for TKO and is a pretty impressive knock out beast

Who you got for the UFN live on Wednesday?

* [b]Carlos Condit[/b] vs. Martin Kampmann - Going with Condit, but I like Kampmann a lot. Hopefully it's a good fight.
* [b]Ryan Bader [/b]vs. Carmelo Marrero - Bader wins it with stand-up.
* Rafael dos Anjos vs. [b]Tyson Griffin [/b]- Should be an easy win for Griffin.
* Junie Browning vs. [b]Cole Miller[/b] - Miller will end the Junie fiasco.

PRELIMINARY CARD (Un-televised)

* [b]Jeremy Stephens[/b] vs. Gleison Tibau - I think he'll be ready for Tibau's grappling.
* [b]Ricardo Almeida[/b] vs. Matt Horwich - This will be like Maia/MacDonald
* [b]Brock Larson [/b]vs. Jesse Sanders - I'm surprised we haven't heard more from this guy.
* Nissen Osterneck vs. [b]Jorge Rivera [/b]- Looking forward to seeing Osterneck again, but I think Rivera will be too much for him.

Big news out of the UFC. Apparently they are making a grab for Fedor.

[url="http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=18939"]UFC Greenlights Construction of Russian Stadium[/url]

[quote]UFC President Dana White today greenlighted work to begin on the construction of a new Zuffa-owned stadium in Russia that will be able to hold a number of different sporting events, including soccer, boxing, and of course, mixed martial arts.

"This is a big moment for the company and I couldn't have picked a better day to announce this monumental event," said White. "I can't wait for this Stadium to be finished, and we're even including the fans in the process by holding a contest on the internet for people to choose the name of it."

Construction is tentatively scheduled to be done in time for UFC 115 on April 1st, 2010.

"A Project Like this reaches millions In the Largest group of Fans in the sport," said White. "Out Of all the places in the world to put up a stadium, this was the only place for us, and we're gonna Love Seeing the UFC here."[/quote]

[quote name='Ken Stone' post='1741138' date='Apr 1 2009, 09.58']Big news out of the UFC. Apparently they are making a grab for Fedor.

[url="http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=18939"]UFC Greenlights Construction of Russian Stadium[/url][/quote]

I forgot to avoid the internet today.

So happy to see Junie lose. I hate that punk.
[quote name='Ken Stone' post='1741138' date='Apr 1 2009, 08.58']Big news out of the UFC. Apparently they are making a grab for Fedor.

[url="http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=18939"]UFC Greenlights Construction of Russian Stadium[/url][/quote]
That's nice to see. Putting an effort in promoting fights in Russia will go a long way with Fedor, but they'll also have to agree to sign some of his teammates too.

7 out of 9 aint bad!

I can't believe the judge's didn't give that one round where he jacked up Griffin's leg with that weird leg lock thing he did to Dos Anjos. I don't get the judging sometime.

Condit/Kampman would have been a bitch to score.

'Who's overrated now' . Glad to see Cole serve Junie.

[quote name='Horus-SpiderObama' post='1741597' date='Apr 1 2009, 19.28']So happy to see Junie lose. I hate that punk.

That's nice to see. Putting an effort in promoting fights in Russia will go a long way with Fedor, but they'll also have to agree to sign some of his teammates too.[/quote]

It was actually an April Fools prank on the internet by Dana. At one point when the UFC was negotiating for Fedor his managers said that they wanted the UFC to build a stadium in Russia.

[quote name='GSP' post='1741904' date='Apr 2 2009, 01.29']7 out of 9 aint bad!

I can't believe the judge's didn't give that one round where he jacked up Griffin's leg with that weird leg lock thing he did to Dos Anjos. I don't get the judging sometime.[/quote]

I gave that first round to Dos Anjos also, after that nasty leg hold. It was so gruesome I had to look away until I heard Rogan say "HE'S OUT OF IT!!!". I never really liked Griffon before because he has that weird looking thing going on in his back, and his body is all squat and goofy looking. But man he he is a tough dude.

I thought it was strange having Miller ask for the winner of Fisher/Uno. Usually when people are calling out fights it is for a shot at the title, not for the winner of a fight between two very middle of the pack fighters. Strange.

Hopefully we've seen the last of Junie Browning. We don't need unskilled punks like that in the sport.

I think that the Condit v. Kampmann result proves what we've suspected all along; Below 155lbs they have among the best fighters in the world, but above it, they were just guys filling spots. Condit is a quality fighter, don't get me wrong, but he's a upper-mid tier fighter at best. It's good to see him in the UFC though.

UFC is really pushing it with the manager/agent ban. This is one of the creepiest deals to date. NO other sport does this. WTF? Even in the NFL agents get lockerroom credentials. The excuses that they're using are bogus, I've seen some of the backstage video blogs, and the hallways hardly seem overly chaotic. This is a very shady move.

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AquZ4kM0CQFdaYQkFxQ0oLE9Eo14?slug=ys-mmaweeks040109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns"]Bad news folks, Thompson vs. Melendez is off for Strikeforce.[/url]

Didn't even hear of that manager/agent ban. What's with the UFC and all their strong arm tactics? I love the league, but am not a fan of that kind of shit.

Did anybody else find that armbar attempt by Bader as pretty slick for a guy mostly known for wrestling and a thunderous right? Love seeing the TUF guys develop.

I was pretty impressed with the British fighters on TUF last night. Either some of those fights were sped up a bit (which it seemed like to me) or some of those British light weights are Matrix quick!

[quote name='Ken Stone' post='1742132' date='Apr 2 2009, 07.21']I gave that first round to Dos Anjos also, after that nasty leg hold. It was so gruesome I had to look away until I heard Rogan say "HE'S OUT OF IT!!!". I never really liked Griffon before because he has that weird looking thing going on in his back, and his body is all squat and goofy looking. But man he he is a tough dude.[/quote]
Griffin's shoulderblade tattoo is pretty awful, but I've been a fan of his ever since his fight with Edgar. However, he's certainly getting rich off of his inability to finish. He's won five fight-of-the-night awards so far because he keeps getting into these 3 round wars.

[quote]I thought it was strange having Miller ask for the winner of Fisher/Uno. Usually when people are calling out fights it is for a shot at the title, not for the winner of a fight between two very middle of the pack fighters. Strange.[/quote]
I think Miller was just trying to be realistic, and I thought it was a smart move. Fisher and Uno are both pretty well-known guys. Calling them out is a pretty good way to build up some buzz and stay out of the prelims. I'm surprised that more fighters don't try to call other fighters out after wins. Usually they have nothing to say, and it's a wasted opportunity.

[quote]This is one of the creepiest deals to date. NO other sport does this. WTF? Even in the NFL agents get lockerroom credentials. The excuses that they're using are bogus, I've seen some of the backstage video blogs, and the hallways hardly seem overly chaotic. This is a very shady move.[/quote]
It does seem very shady, but Keith Kizer did seem to agree that managers are making a nuissance of themselves, and he doesn't work for the UFC. Rather than some sort of tactical move, I imagine that managers were starting to annoy some UFC event coordinators, and the higher brass decided that they had no incentive to tolerate managers at all, so they dropped the axe.

[quote name='Ken Stone' post='1742132' date='Apr 2 2009, 04.21']I never really liked Griffon before because he has that weird looking thing going on in his back, and his body is all squat and goofy looking. But man he he is a tough dude.[/quote]
Not a Griffin fan either, but yeah, he's a tough little shit. That calf slicer/leg compression/whatchamacalllit had me wincing. I pretty much think that dude is unsubmittable. If he only had KO power in his hands, he would be a true force at LW. As it is, I think he's destined to go the Spencer Fisher route: very good fighter who's just not quite champion material.

That was a pretty sweet UFN. Loved the Cole vs Junie fight, and the "Who's overrated now!" trashtalk from Cole. I see Bader as someone who's going to progress very rapidly thru the LHW ranks. Great wrestling base, knockout power, and fastly improving BJJ skills is a good recipe for success in MMA. He just needs to get more experience before he puts it all together. Like Rashad.

And hey, I like Dana White. Thought his little expletive-filled rant at Loretta was pretty damn funny. While I used to have problems with how he represented the sport, maybe I'm getting numb to it all, but it just doesn't bother me much anymore. I just want to see great fights. Doesn't matter to me anymore what/who gives the sport a bad name. And when I see cards like UFC 100, I find I don't really care about all the shady extracurricular shit going on around it. MMA started out as a pretty shady sport, and it's always going to be somewhat shady. It is what it is.

And just to be a namedropping whore, thought I'd mention that I sparred with Egan Inoue the other day. 3 rounds of kickboxing. It was glorious, though I'm 100% sure he was taking it easy on me. I'm appreciative that he didn't feel the need to knock me out in front of my wife and kids.

[quote name='DVD ROTS' post='1743170' date='Apr 3 2009, 00.55']Can we get Dana White run out of town on a rail? What a shit representative for the sport.[/quote]

He's made the UFC the best thing in sports and brought MMA to the world. How is he a shit rep?

[quote name='Ken Stone' post='1742132' date='Apr 2 2009, 10.21']I never really liked Griffon before because he has that weird looking thing going on in his back, and[b] his body is all squat and goofy looking. [/b][/quote]

Thanks, dick. I have the same shape.

Archived