And yet another Battlestar thread

Wouter

[quote name='Werthead' post='1695066' date='Feb 21 2009, 10.27'][url="http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/953/953459p1.html"]Erm, WTF?[/url]
:stunned:[/quote]

Honestly, this interests me more than [b]Caprica[/b]. Which isn't much, mind you.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1695056' date='Feb 21 2009, 12.10'][url="http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2009/02/battlestar-galactica-deadlock-jane-espenson.html#more"]Apparently [/url]this was a result of bad editing (brr, just had a Dark Days of Season 3 Flashback).

The story was supposed to run with the marines abandoning the supplies at the start due to a riot about to get underway, and then the Sons of Ares turned up and stole the supplies. This led into another scene where the Cylons offered the use of Centurions to police the ship, since so many Marines were lost in the mutiny, and Adama turns them down flatly. During Baltar's speech, Adama agrees to let Baltar's cult take over food distribution and act as a police force for Dogsville so he can concentrate his Marines elsewhere.

This explains things a hell of a lot better than the shittily-edited version we saw in the episode.[/quote]

Yeah, it'd been better if they'd fleshed it out. But they still essentially pulled two (almost) brand new plotlines completely out of their asses in the Sons of Ares and the military distributed grain dole. I know they had some post-New Caprica refugees to contend with, but it seemed that most of that was settled now. Seems odd to bring them up pretty much out of the blue. And the Sons of Ares, who I assume are some militarist cult of sorts naturally adversarial to Baltar's monotheistic cult...where have they been for 3.5 seasons?

And does anyone in their right mind think its a good idea to have hordes of armed civilians running around a military ship? I mean couldn't the military have confiscated this shit sometime around season 1? Even fleshed out, it still seems like a lame way to get a bunch of guns in the hands of Baltar's fanatics. Weak.

[quote name='Relic' post='1695188' date='Feb 21 2009, 16.12']terrible episode.
[b]
So Ellen becomes a crazy bitch when she's around Tigh?[/b][/quote]

It's not like this is NEW material or something.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1695257' date='Feb 21 2009, 18.00']It's not like this is NEW material or something.[/quote]

Well, just one episode prior she's calm, collected, compassionate, and even wise. Next we see her...she's totally different. It's very jarring, imo.

[quote name='Relic' post='1695260' date='Feb 21 2009, 18.05']Well, just one episode prior she's calm, collected, compassionate, and even wise. Next we see her...she's totally different. It's very jarring, imo.[/quote]

It's her and Tigh.

Remember Tigh before Ellen showed up in S1? Sober, collected, competant, starting to get his life back together. Then Ellen shows up and BAM, he's a mess again.

Those 2 just fuck each other's lives up.

EHK,

The Sons of Ares were introduced at the start of season 4. They're the guys who attack the commune the very first time, trying to grab Baltar. I believe there have been some other references to them as well.

Interestingly, the Battlestar wiki also notes that Zarek was behind the Sons of Ares in the first draft of that episode, and that he was the one encouraging them to go after Baltar and his cult. They dropped that, but another example of the kind of ideas they were kicking around about him.

Relic,

Saul is her kryptonite. ;)

Seriously, I personally enjoyed it quite a bit. As I noted last episode, the Ellen we knew was clearly still apparent, even if she was acting in a very different context. Return her to that same context, and what reason would there be to assume she wouldn't act the same as she had before?

Tigh acted pretty much to order, too. They've lived about three lifetimes worth of being shatteringly in love with one another -- emphasis on the shatter part.

[quote name='Sebastian' post='1694861' date='Feb 21 2009, 14.46']How exactly did Boomer and Ellen find Galactica and, if they can, why can't Cavil? Was this explained in the episode?[/quote]
As someone on the scifi forum would say, "wizards did it". Or else, she adapted the reflector dish of the Raptor by reversing the polarity; that works every time!

Seriously, is anyone surprised that the writers ignored this important piece of the plot? I'm not, it really fits with their style of the past 2 or seasons to ignore all kinds of thing not convenient to the current plot. Not only is it not explained, Adama and co aren't even shown wondering how it is possible Boomer and Ellen found the fleet, and if Boomer can just pull that out of her sleeve maybe Cavil can, too. This is so disappointing writing, the show used to pay attention to stuff like this, back when Thompson and Weddle were still writing for it.

Speaking about Boomer, guess she should have stayed with Cavil, who is comparatively nice to her compared to everybody else. She is arrested right after Tyrol rats her out (that was very smart and/or friendly of him!). Supposedly Adama should know she was programmed to kill him (unless Athena and co neglected completely to tell him that), and Lee declared a general amnesty for Cylons, so why was this done? Especially since we weren't given the slightest hint that the rebel Cylons had mentioned anything about Boomer being with the Cavil faction. Hell, even the rebel Cylons probably didn't even know she was still alive, only that she voted in Cavil's favour and that her last known location was onboard a Cavil controlled baseship.

What is really striking in this episode is how many colonials now love all kinds of Cylons - to the point they let them put up pictures for dead Cylons in the remembrance room for the (colonial) victims of the Cylon attacks! Except for the one who did not participate in the nuclear attacks that destroyed the colonies, of course. BSG is a really rotten world. Caprica-6 going to scrape some food - on her lonesome - was also really scraping the bottom of the barrel in believability.

I didn't give a damn about the final five, Baltar or Ellen/Saul stuff, I just don't sympathise with any of them (except for Tigh when he was going on, with good reason, against the stupid voting "rules"). The episode was rather boring for me actually, since it was mostly about that stuff. I also thought it strange that the Cylons can now supposedly survive indefinitly on the baseship. What did the Cylons need the human fleet for again, wasn't supplies and fuel one of the reasons given? Guess they have sucked the fleet dry as Galactica suddenly lacks food to the point of nearly starving. I thought they had plenty of algae stuff...

The one thing that was good about this episode is that Ellen is now recognisably Ellen again, though. I'm not seeing any signs of her "clawing toward the light", though.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1695316' date='Feb 22 2009, 01.38']Your suprised Adama is still pissed at Boomer? Really?[/quote]
It's not about being "pissed". He has given amnesty to the Cylons, for nuking the colonies and for nuking (and otherwise attacking, beyond count) Galactica. He has given amnesty for the farms. He has given amnesty for New Caprica. So, is he not even "pissed" about all the colonies getting decimated? He is not even "pissed" about the Cylons putting pictures of their own dead on a monument for the victims of those very same Cylons?

Pissed or not, he has given amnesty. Why does Boomer not get this, and the others do? And it does look like Adama has been told Boomer was a programmed sleeper agent who did not know what she did and couldn't stop it. If not, Athena has really screwed Boomer in the worst way possible.

Especially since it looks like in the next episode, Adama will hand Boomer over to his precious Cylon allies for execution for "treason against her model".

In this episode, we saw Caprica-6 and Roslyn walk practically hand-in-hand. Really hard to swallow considering what Caprica-6, and her friends, did. Yet I shouldn't be surprised with how Boomer gets treated?

No, you really shouldn't. She was one of his people. He trusted her completely. And she SHOT HIM IN THE FUCKING CHEST.

He's still kinda pissed about the whole thing. Of course he threw her ass right in the brig.

But this is the same thing as the Cylon enhancements last week. You don't seem able to grasp that people react emotionally.

Archived