U.S. Politics III

Ser Scot A Ellison

[quote]An extra (unpaid) day a week off for legislators and regulators. Eliminate state "recreation" advertising. Raise fees at state parks to make them self sustaining. Let parents carry their children to school and eleminate school buses.[/quote]

If you're willing to essentially make school voluntary then that's a reasonable idea, if not... Well, it's not.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1679699' date='Feb 9 2009, 04.49']If you dare, read [url="http://www.commentarymagazine.com/viewarticle.cfm/the-meaning-of-sarah-palin-14674"]article[/url] about Sarah Palin by some fucking idiot. It is so straman laden it is a joke. The guy pulls a list of all these horrific examples of things that were "said" about Sarah Palin that were not true during the election campaign. I was an obsessed politico and had never heard of a one of them. Did this jackass just pick something from some college kid's blog? I don't really doubt it.

Seriously read it. You will burn more calories if you do.[/quote]

Really? I heard about a third of them. And I find it hard to believe you didn't hear about the book banning thing, though, as that was discussed at length on this board. I suspect the author gets emails from crazy crazy folks, and so is privy to the most deranged political fantasies.

It was a pretty boring column. Mr. Levin has discovered that Sarah Palin was divisive. He subsequently discovered they pay him by the word.

I also heard of several of these during the campaign. The statement "none of this was true" aren't entire true though. Of the top of my head:

She did institute a change in policy requiring rape victims to pay for rape kits.

She, like Bush, have publicly stated that she did not believe in [i]man made[/i] Global Warming.

As for banning books, she did inquire about it (in a roundabout way) once she became mayor, but didn't press the issue once she felt the resistance.

Galactus,

[quote name='Galactus' post='1679683' date='Feb 9 2009, 04.17']If you're willing to essentially make school voluntary then that's a reasonable idea, if not... Well, it's not.[/quote]

No, school would still be mandatory, till the child reaches the age of majority, it's simply the parents responsibilty to get the children to school.

Shryke,

No that's not a bus route. It's a car pool. Unless carpools are getting government money for fuel and maintanence bus routes and car pools are diifferent things.

DG,

I get your point. What I'd really prefer is schools within walking distance of kids homes that would really be environmentally friendly and get kids more exercise to boot. Three birds (lower costs for schools (no more fuel or maintance costs), better for the environment, and helping fight obesity) with one stone. Of course, unfortunately, building those schools would cost a pretty penny.

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1679750' date='Feb 9 2009, 06.23']I get your point. What I'd really prefer is schools within walking distance of kids homes that would really be environmentally friendly and get kids more exercise to boot. Three birds (lower costs for schools (no more fuel or maintance costs), better for the environment, and helping fight obesity) with one stone. Of course, unfortunately, building those schools would cost a pretty penny.[/quote]
And I'd prefer cold fusion, a cure for cancer, and an Asian girlfriend for every white guy who wants one.

Until we get a perfect world, keep the school buses running.

[quote]I get your point. What I'd really prefer is schools within walking distance of kids homes that would really be environmentally friendly and get kids more exercise to boot. Three birds (lower costs for schools (no more fuel or maintance costs), better for the environment, and helping fight obesity) with one stone. Of course, unfortunately, building those schools would cost a pretty penny.[/quote]

Growing up, if there was a school within a mile of my house, there would have been about 5 students. This isn't even realistic for cities, should the schools exist, for too many reasons to name.

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1680354' date='Feb 9 2009, 12.15']Lev,

Well, no. Walking from your bedroom to the kitchen table doesn't give the child much exercise does it?[/quote]

Surely the state isn't preventing you from giving your home-schooled child exercise times? Heck, you could always make them run around the house a couple of times before sitting down at the study desk.

Lev,

[quote name='Pax Thien Jolie-Pitt' post='1680400' date='Feb 9 2009, 15.33']I know Scot. But in a perfect world that would satisfy all your complaints, perhaps all children should be home-schooled.[/quote]

I think parental responsibility is a solution for a lot of our education problems. However, some parents are not equiped to home school. This does not mean they are not equiped to set up a car pool or drop their children off at school on their way to work.

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1680410' date='Feb 9 2009, 15.37']I think parental responsibility is a solution for a lot of our education problems. However, some parents are not equiped to home school. This does not mean they are not equiped to set up a car pool or drop their children off at school on their way to work.[/quote]
Jesus Creeping Shit! Are we really back to the carpooling thing? Has it not been sufficiently established to your Libertopian ideals that some parents, for whatever reasons, really have no option except to rely on a bus to get their kids to school?

I'm wondering what the suffering fuck your point is in waxing so tedious about school busing in a US Politics thread. If you want to continue to stroke yourself over how the State should mandate environmentally synergistic school placement but shouldn't pay to bus the children of filthy blue collar working parents to school, please start another thread for it.

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1680410' date='Feb 9 2009, 12.37']Lev,

I think parental responsibility is a solution for a lot of our education problems. However, some parents are not equiped to home school. This does not mean they are not equiped to set up a car pool or drop their children off at school on their way to work.[/quote]

And in this wonderful world, would all parents have hybrid cars, Scot?

Lev,

If they wanted to own one and could afford it, yes.

DG,

[quote]I'm wondering what the suffering fuck your point is in waxing so tedious about school busing in a US Politics thread. If you want to continue to stroke yourself over how the State should mandate environmentally synergistic school placement but shouldn't pay to bus the children of filthy blue collar working parents to school, please start another thread for it.[/quote]

I was asked how I would reduce state costs. It costs an awful lot, particularly last spring, to bus kids to school. Buses, maintanance on buses, and fuel for buses is not cheap. If getting your children to and from school was a parental responsibility it would save the state a lot of money. Money that could then be used for the education for these students, or, simply saved.

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1680461' date='Feb 9 2009, 12.58']Lev,

If they wanted to own one and could afford it, yes.[/quote]

Scot,

Let's assume that some can't afford a car, let alone a hybrid car, how would they drop off their kids at school?

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1680461' date='Feb 9 2009, 14.58']I was asked how I would reduce state costs. It costs an awful lot, particularly last spring, to bus kids to school. Buses, maintanance on buses, and fuel for buses is not cheap. If getting your children to and from school was a parental responsibility it would save the state a lot of money. Money that could then be used for the education for these students, or, simply saved.[/quote]
Do you think that this policy will affect school attendence? Why?

Does School attendence affect the ability of a parent to work?

What should we do if both parents are not elligble or able to drive?

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1680461' date='Feb 9 2009, 15.58']I was asked how I would reduce state costs. It costs an awful lot, particularly last spring, to bus kids to school. Buses, maintanance on buses, and fuel for buses is not cheap. If getting your children to and from school was a parental responsibility it would save the state a lot of money. Money that could then be used for the education for these students, or, simply saved.[/quote]
But because the state collectivizes the cost of busing these children, the parents are thus able to spend their time doing the work they need to do, don't have to drive their kids anywhere and thus save gas money, aggravation, mileage on their car, etc.

School busing should be a win-win on your armchair libertarian value scale.

Archived