U.S. Politics III

Ser Scot A Ellison

[quote name='Pax Thien Jolie-Pitt' post='1676959' date='Feb 6 2009, 14.22']Which particular function or services should the government do less with, Scot?[/quote]

An extra (unpaid) day a week off for legislators and regulators. Eliminate state "recreation" advertising. Raise fees at state parks to make them self sustaining. Let parents carry their children to school and eleminate school buses.

Tracker,

[quote]Uh-huh. And then watch a 100% turnover in state government as voters toss every elected official who turned away the funding that's needed to run things the way the people expect.[/quote]

Maybe. That said it's never been tried, has it.

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1676994' date='Feb 6 2009, 11.37']An extra (unpaid) day a week off for legislators and regulators.[/quote]

If they're not getting paid for the day off, why does it concern you?

[quote]Eliminate state "recreation" advertising.[/quote]

I think people should spent more time outdoor, and the revenue from tourism sure doesn't hurt.

[quote]Raise fees at state parks to make them self sustaining.[/quote]

Sounds reasonable.

[quote]Let parents carry their children to school and eleminate school buses.[/quote]

Not all of us work at cushy 9-5 white collars job like you, scot.

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1676994' date='Feb 6 2009, 14.37']An extra (unpaid) day a week off for legislators and regulators. Eliminate state "recreation" advertising. Raise fees at state parks to make them self sustaining. Let parents carry their children to school and eleminate school buses.[/quote]

I remember about two years ago when the Cherry Hill school district in neighboring New Jersey was having budget problems and tried to raise property taxes to make up the shortfall. The proposal was promptly voted down at the polls, so the district announced it was trimming a few bus routes to make up the difference. You could have heard the squawks in Pittsburgh, often from the same people who'd voted down the tax increase. So you'll forgive me if I am skeptical of your proposal.

[quote name='Pax Thien Jolie-Pitt' post='1677007' date='Feb 6 2009, 14.46']Not all of us work at cushy 9-5 white collars job like you, scot.[/quote]

Or live within a reasonable distance of a school. Poor rural families would suffer under this system.

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1677070' date='Feb 6 2009, 14.17']Lev,

My job is hardly "9-5".[/quote]

Ok, what do the kids of a teacher who has to be at work at 7:15 am and a doctor, who has to be at work at 6:30 am, do when elementary school doesn't start until 9 am?

TWW,

[quote name='The White Wolf' post='1677168' date='Feb 6 2009, 15.56']Ok, what do the kids of a teacher who has to be at work at 7:15 am and a doctor, who has to be at work at 6:30 am, do when elementary school doesn't start until 9 am?[/quote]

Car pool with other parents with more flexable schedules?

I rode a bus in high school. 'Twas the only way for me to get to my school, which was 15 miles away by the freeway, since my mom routinely works 7-7. Carpool didn't work for me because all my nearby friends' parents were also working parents with inflexible schedules.

Scot, I know you have this fetish for the government never doing anything for anyone ever, but you need to pick your battles. School buses? Fuck's sake. It's good for the environment and shit.

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1676869' date='Feb 6 2009, 13.24']Does Congress have the power to limit compensation for an individual who is not working for the Federal government or an organization accepting funds from the Federal government?[/quote]

So we [i]didn't [/i]overturn [i]Lochner[/i]?

Or is your argument that the states have that power, but not the federal government? I'll admit [i]Lopez [/i]and [i]Morrison [/i]would seem to undermine some congressional authority, but this seems more related to (interstate) commerce than those cases dealt with.

Obama is taking control of the [url="http://www.cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?docid=news-000003024858"]census[/url], interesting...

[quote]The director of the Census Bureau will report directly to the White House and not the secretary of Commerce, according to a senior White House official.[/quote]

According to federal law, the Census Bureau is under the jurisdiction of the [url="http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/13/usc_sec_13_00000002----000-.html"]Commerce Dept[/url]:

[quote]The Bureau is continued as an agency within, and under the jurisdiction of, the Department of Commerce.[/quote]

Doesn't seem like Obama has the legal authority to do this.

I'm imagining members of ACORN conducting the census...

Obama is taking control of the census so he can better hide his secret Muslim pals. Any chance of finding out where his REAL birth certificate is just went out the window. RON PAUL!

The thing to note about the census is that Obama's new Commerce Secretary will be Judd Gregg, a Republican (and one whose appointment was largely designed to create a juicy open Senate seat in New Hampshire in 2010). Perhaps Obama might be worried that a census under Gregg might be less than keen at finding poor people.

[quote name='Commodore' post='1679356' date='Feb 8 2009, 17.29']Obama is taking control of the [url="http://www.cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?docid=news-000003024858"]census[/url], interesting...

According to federal law, the Census Bureau is under the jurisdiction of the [url="http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/13/usc_sec_13_00000002----000-.html"]Commerce Dept[/url]:

I'm imagining members of ACORN conducting the census...[/quote]

Isn't the Commerce Dept part of the executive branch? I'm not seeing why this is a scandal, it's not like he's wiretapping American citizens.

[quote name='Commodore' post='1679356' date='Feb 8 2009, 19.29']Obama is taking control of the [url="http://www.cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?docid=news-000003024858"]census[/url], interesting...

I'm imagining members of ACORN conducting the census...[/quote]

Commodore, you never cease to amaze me. Congress gives George Bush carte blanche to invade another nation and you're fine, but when that same body mandates the [i]standardization of light bulbs[/i], you lose your shit. George Bush claims the power to suspend habeas corpus, unilaterally and indefinitely and you're all zip-a-dee-doo-da, but Obama wants the census takers to report directly to him and you're seeing fascists goose-stepping over the border. Your perspective is...different.

Archived