Too fat for fashion?

Lyanna Stark

While I don't agree with the suggestion that Heidi is 'fat', I do think that GQ cover has been digitally altered to thin her out a bit.
It just looks 'stretched' to me.

Had the comment been worded "Heidi has this gorgeous, girl-next-door look, but I don't think her features convey the 'avant-garde' look that we at Joop are looking for", there would be no controversy. Because if I were looking to project something cutting-edge, Heidi is not the model I'd look for. Christina Ricci would be a more avant-garde look in my mind.

The Claudia Schiffer bit is quite catty - if Claudia herself is behind it. Though in a cursory search I could not find any photos of both of them, which since they are the two best known names in German modeling seems a bit surprising.

[quote name='Lyanna Stark' post='1689520' date='Feb 17 2009, 11.39']I have to admit I have never heard about that documentary.[/quote]
It was very in depth [url="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0196229/"]Zoolander[/url]

Good timing on this topic. Fashion week is approaching (or here already?) here in NY. You would not believe the lollipop people who congregate around Bryant Park during this period. It reminds of the end of [i]Close Encounters Of The Third Kind[/i].

Not that I follow fashion at all, but it's very noticeable when the 6th Ave sidewalk is impassable at Bryant Part whenever fashion week is on. That's my route to and from Penn Station.

How did I know Bronn would be the only person to actually [i]agree[/i] with this? :P

The bitchy comment from Karl Lagerfield was hilarious.

From Heat magazine etc, size double zero appears to be making a come-back. *sigh* ( though to be fair, heat is the one mag that doesn't actually support this)

[quote name='Iskaral Pust' post='1689551' date='Feb 17 2009, 12.07']Good timing on this topic. Fashion week is approaching (or here already?) here in NY. You would not believe the lollipop people who congregate around Bryant Park during this period. It reminds of the end of [i]Close Encounters Of The Third Kind[/i].

Not that I follow fashion at all, but it's very noticeable when the 6th Ave sidewalk is impassable at Bryant Part whenever fashion week is on. That's my route to and from Penn Station.[/quote]
The good thing is that it's good for the City's economy, hotel prices (already high) triple during Fashion Weeks. Otherwise, I would find these events annoying as hell, too.

[quote name='Bronn Stone' post='1689469' date='Feb 17 2009, 10.40']While I don't agree with the suggestion that Heidi is 'fat', I do think that GQ cover has been digitally altered to thin her out a bit.
It just looks 'stretched' to me.[/quote]

[i]Every[/i] cover of GQ (and every model in every ad campaign) is digitally altered. I've never heard of anyone stretching anything (except the angle on that Newsweek cover with Ann Coulter's legs...), but I'm sure they airbrushed some things.

[quote]Had the comment been worded "Heidi has this gorgeous, girl-next-door look, but I don't think her features convey the 'avant-garde' look that we at Joop are looking for", there would be no controversy. Because if I were looking to project something cutting-edge, Heidi is not the model I'd look for. Christina Ricci would be a more avant-garde look in my mind.[/quote]

I guess. But, IMO, this guy's idea of [url="http://www.joop.com/main.html"]avant-garde[/url] looks kind of like, well, Heidi Klum.

And they wouldn't let Christina Ricci model in a thousand years.

ETA: I should say, for runway or fashion spreads, anyway.

[quote name='needle' post='1689570' date='Feb 17 2009, 12.20']How did I know Bronn would be the only person to actually [i]agree[/i] with this? :P[/quote]

:rofl: I thought the same thing, Fee.

Heidi Klum has put on a small bit of weight since her days of runway walking, but she looks AMAZING. I can not believe anyone would call her portly. If I looked a fraction of that good after having 3 children, I'd be naked all the time.

[quote name='Raidne' post='1689599' date='Feb 17 2009, 12.48'][i]Every[/i] cover of GQ (and every model in every ad campaign) is digitally altered. I've never heard of anyone stretching anything (except the angle on that Newsweek cover with Ann Coulter's legs...), but I'm sure they airbrushed some things.[/quote]

There's an entire [url="http://photoshopdisasters.blogspot.com/"]site[/url] dedicated to bad/unethical photoshop tweaks in publishing.

[quote name='Tobin' post='1689734' date='Feb 17 2009, 14.59']There's an entire [url="http://photoshopdisasters.blogspot.com/"]site[/url] dedicated to bad/unethical photoshop tweaks in publishing.[/quote]

Tobin, these are just priceless. :lol: Thanks for sharing. Whoever writes the captions is hilarious.

ETA: [url="http://www.advocate.com/issue_story_ektid59842.asp"]This[/url] is my favorite so far. You've got to scroll down to the second photo where his legs are crossed in front of him. The quotes from the actor are just hilarious too:

[quote]“As happy as I am with my body, I’m not going to be running around shirtless,” he confesses. “I’m happy with my body, but it’s not perfect.”[/quote]

Like you know, missing my cock and balls. That's totally OK. :lol: IN a freaking gay magazine, of all places!

[quote name='Tobin' post='1689734' date='Feb 17 2009, 13.59']There's an entire [url="http://photoshopdisasters.blogspot.com/"]site[/url] dedicated to bad/unethical photoshop tweaks in publishing.[/quote]

I don't get the Dior one on the main page (about 3 entries down). What's the bad Photoshop job in that one?

[quote name='TerraPrime' post='1689772' date='Feb 17 2009, 15.35']I don't get the Dior one on the main page (about 3 entries down). What's the bad Photoshop job in that one?[/quote]

I think there's the top of a second middle finger squeezed in next to the one that's extended.

Alright, sorry for the double post, but [url="http://www.amazon.com/LOVEFIFI-Lickety-Split-Crotchless-Panty/dp/B001GKPS6Y/ref=pd_sbs_a_2"]this[/url] really kills me. I mean, I know it's Amazon and they can't just do a live model shot of crotchless panties, but why the close up????

Oh God, oh God! Don't do it, starr, don't you dare type the words!
I should attach little electric shockers to my fingers for moments like these to deter myself from making posts I shall later regret. But...but...

In the world of runway modelling, HK probably [i]is[/i] too heavy and too busty to walk the runway. Not because of any reason grounded in reality, just because of the twisted aesthetic of the runway. Call it coathanger chic--the designers claim they want the clothes to "hang" on the body. They don't want a body (read: breasts, butt, and hips, read: distinctly female body parts) getting in the way of the art of their clothes.

So, HK's main problem is that she might have eaten in the past two weeks, and to walk the runway, you pretty much can't have eaten in the past two weeks. If you want to model these fetish designers' art, you have to dance on the edge of starvation and dehydration. HK is way too hydrated.

Being truly avant-garde would be to put a model out there who is 5' 5'' and 200 pounds, and design some artful clothing that would make her feel like a goddess and carry herself like a queen.

Loopy Joop seems to have succumbed to the pathetic current trend to see women's clothing as an art entirely separate from the fleshly curve of the (female) body. What an idiot. Don't buy his clothes.

[quote name='Lyanna Stark' post='1689312' date='Feb 17 2009, 08.15']Apparently supermodel Heidi Klum has been deemed [url="http://www.popcrunch.com/heidi-klum-too-fat-to-model/"]too fat for being a supermodel[/url] and also referred to as "portly".[/quote]

In other news, holy airbrushing, Batman!

Guest thebadlady
[quote name='Mya Stone' post='1689623' date='Feb 17 2009, 12.12']:rofl: I thought the same thing, Fee.

Heidi Klum has put on a small bit of weight since her days of runway walking, but she looks AMAZING. I can not believe anyone would call her portly. If I looked a fraction of that good after having 3 children, I'd be naked all the time.[/quote]

Thirded!! :lol:

If your breasts are larger than cup size A, most shit out is going to look hideous on you. We don't all have boyish figures or the pedophilia-ness of Nichole Ritchie, et all.

Archived