Tennis I

DJDonegal

The womens game is shockingly poor. I know I always mention it around these big Grand Slam times, but this US Open has really highlighted the extent to which it is suffering from a lack of top class players. Kim Clijsters has not played competitive tennis for two years, but three tournaments into her resurrected career, she has another Grand Slam tournament under her belt and took out both Williams sisters on the way. The womens game needs some real talent to come through.

On the mens side however, we have a great matchup between Federer and del Potro to look forward to, both of whom finished their Semi-Final matches in straight sets, and the last time they met in a hard court Grand Slam tournament, it was Federer who reamed him 3, love and love, but this is nearly a whole year on and I expect this to be a lot closer than that time.

Del Potro's actually made the best impression of any player this tournament that I have seen. He's beaten everyone confidently and then he beat Marin Cilic in the quarter finals who had blown Andy Murray off the court but found Del Potro a much tougher proposition. Then his win against Nadal. Whereas Federer certainly had his struggles against say Hewitt and Soderling.

Still, there is always this feeling that Del Potro will choke and that Federer will come away with a straight set victory. Federer has won the last 5 editions of this US open so it would be a big surprise if Del Potro could pull this off. I doubt it though, Federer is still very hard to beat.

One set all and trading breaks in the third!

ETA: And del Potro double faults twice IN A ROW to hand Federer the third, the Express rolls on!

ETA2: It may be premature... but how much would Federer regret not winning the Australian Open if he wins tonight? He was mere points away from a calendar slam... At least he'll get the chance to hold all 4 at the same time when Australia rolls around again!... If he sees it out tonight.

I think if you're going to be at the top of most sports, you're going to have a dull personality. Mostly. That's just natural because people at the top work so much harder at their game that they excel in their sport but little else. Tiger Woods is dull, but possibly the greatest sportsman this planet has ever seen.

Going back in the topic a bit, I dunno - focused and dull aren't necessarily the same thing. Take Usain Bolt for example. Out of the footballers (soccer players to you yanks >_>) most commonly argued to be the greatest ever, Pele is a bit dull but Cruyff was anything but and Maradona was just mental. Michael Schumacher retains popularity in the UK despite being a really successful German cheat, which suggests something about his personality.

I think it's more of what DVD ROTS said before, they'll show a really restrained image of themselves because, well, Maradona probably isn't the most marketable person in the world (although Argentina and Napoli will forgive him anything).

Also, what does Federer need with a personality? Shots like the one in the semi will do him fine as a substitute...

Well I had to go to bed after the second set since I have to work today. First set from Del Potro was terrible, and he didn't look to be going anywhere in the second set either until 5-3 and he broke serve back. There was this constant feeling that if Del Potro could just bring his gigantic unforced error rate down and just start hitting them right, he would really make it very hard for Fed. You could see Federer's style of play is mich more capable of dealing with Del Potro's style than Nadal's, but still, a power forehand is a power forehand, even for Fed impossible to return in a useful way.

Looks like he destroyed fed in that 5th set. Incredible performance from Del Potro. 20 years old.

20 years old is about when you expect someone to win their first Slam if they hope to go on to bigger and better things, moreso in the modern era of course. Nadal won his first on or about his 19th birthday. Federer won his first at 21. Pete Sampras won his first at 19, Borg at 18 and so on.

We expect great things from del Potro, so he's off to a good start.

Does she really hate kim that much? haha.

I'm two ways about this news. I like Justine's game but I'm tired of this comeback boom, kinda gimmicky. Although I feel JH really needed the time off tennis. Anyway, this will be interesting for the tour and I can't wait for a Serena vs Justine meeting again.

I would agree it's gimmicky if these players were much older, or they hadn't retired while they were near the top of their game. Henin went out as World No 1, is a seven time Slam champion, and still only 27. Clijsters is only 26 herself, retired while ranked 4th, and while her pedigree isn't as good as Henin's, she will bring an improvement to the women's game. Obviously before them there was Hingis, but she only "retired" due to severe injuries, so her comeback wouldn't be classed gimmicky in any way, I think.

Unless you're referring to all these singers making comebacks, rather than other tennis players?

When she retired, Justine said she has closed the chapter in her life called tennis. She was really adamant on that. As we have seen, it hasn't been closed yet. JH has always struck me as an intense person in and outside the court and it was nice to see her do projects outside tennis. My guess is that when she retired, she was really burned out/depressed and that she had to cope with injuries. It would have been better if the tour schedule isnt as tight as it is to give players more rest or if there is a way for players to take a sabbatical and not force them to retire.

Well, now that JH has taken a break and a rest, I hope she's prepared emotionally, mentally, physically for that Wimbledon run.

Archived