Healthy Living and Exercise thread

@Stego,

but honestly, your stance of bludgeoning your opinion into people isn't going to do much but drive people away. Especially when you throw a blanket over an argument or article, without actually discussing or refuting any of the points were made.

And, I do agree, barefoot is stupid. But minimalistic? Probably not. And I think that's the important thing to [potentially] take away from the article, and the reason I posted it.

You're probably right, but Eponine is also making an argument here that infers ice cream is required to keep her weight up, as if healthy food is unable to be eaten in a high caloric manner. Basically, everything she says is leading people in the wrong direction. THERE is NEVER a time it is healthy to eat ice cream. NEVER.

I may, and probably do piss people off, but I will NOT give piss poor advice. There are people in this thread who genuinely need help.

*I* was the person who convinced Lany to allow all sort of people into this thread, to make it about health and not just dieting and weight loss. But it *IS* also about those things. And after that inconsiderate ice cream comment, I now understand EXACTLY what Lany was doing. She was probably right.

I want to post a quote from Guruji, BKS Iyengar. He is talking about yoga, but it could apply to any way of exercise:

You have to create love and affection for your body, for what it can do for you. Love must be incarnated in the smallest pore of the skin, the smallest cell of the body, to make them intelligent so that they can collaborate with all the other ones, in the big republic of the body.

This love must radiate from you to others...

You must purge yourself before finding fault with others. When you see a mistake in somebody else, try to find if you are making the same mistake. This is the way to take judgment and turn it into improvement. Do not look at others' bodies with envy or with superiority. All people are born with different constitutions. Never compare with others. Each one's capacities are a function of his or her internal strength. Know your capacities and continually improve upon them.

I just get inspired by this man, his life, and his writings. Love yourselves now, people, and change will flow from there.

But you know, I like modern technology like boats so I don't have to swim everywhere, and bags so I don't have to carry a dozen apples in my hand, and antibiotics so I don't die from an earache. So I support shoes as well.

Word.

And if you can find it- THIS ice cream is really, really good. You can't eat it every day-but you can have it a couple times a week without too much guilt. Check out the fiber count and it's fat free.

I agree that there is never a time when ice cream is good. I just don't think she was offering it as advice, just sharing what's she's up to.

And Lany has just explained why it was inconsiderate. People are fighting a modern day WAR (and I say this as a combat veteran) against obesity. A lot of them are reading this thread. If one can not see how such comments could depress those fighting this battle, then one is blind.

Yes, but if people are getting depressed, sidetracked, or upset because others can and will and do eat ice cream, they need to shift their focus to something that is actually going to help them embrace change. See quote above.

Because people are still going to eat ice cream. Just not you and me.

And Lany has just explained why it was inconsiderate. People are fighting a modern day WAR (and I say this as a combat veteran) against obesity. A lot of them are reading this thread. If one can not see how such comments could depress those fighting this battle, then one is blind.

WHAT IF I AM BLIND YOU INSENSITIVE CLOD?!

Fair enough. I guess the thread has gone off in all different directions. I don't think she meant any harm.

New topic: I just bought a bunch of kale that was on sale. I know this is supposed to be a great leafy green but I have no idea what to do with it. I've heard that it's rougher than chard even so I'm thinking raw in a salad is a no go. Does anyone know if it's good for just sauteing up like other greens?

You can cook it like chard. I put it raw in my green salad. It's a bit bitter and peppery and tough, but I don't mind. Back when I used to be able to eat barley, I'd cook up some barley and right at the end throw some chopped up kale on top to steam for a few minutes. Then I'd shave some fresh ginger and purple cabbage on top, and dress it all with tamari soy sauce and rice vinegar. Garnish with sesame seeds. Yum.

Yes, but if people are getting depressed, sidetracked, or upset because others can and will and do eat ice cream, they need to shift their focus to something that is actually going to help them embrace change. See quote above.

I agree, Seastar. That's sorta why I was hoping this would be a motivation thread. Like Go Ztem! Grats on your huge lifting gains, Luke! Stuff like that has made us all happy, I think.

Sigh.

And STFU, Yags. You need to come to this NYC meetup thingie we're sorta talking about.

You're probably right, but Eponine is also making an argument here that infers ice cream is required to keep her weight up, as if healthy food is unable to be eaten in a high caloric manner. Basically, everything she says is leading people in the wrong direction. THERE is NEVER a time it is healthy to eat ice cream. NEVER.

I may, and probably do piss people off, but I will NOT give piss poor advice. There are people in this thread who genuinely need help.

*I* was the person who convinced Lany to allow all sort of people into this thread, to make it about health and not just dieting and weight loss. But it *IS* also about those things. And after that inconsiderate ice cream comment, I now understand EXACTLY what Lany was doing. She was probably right.

when the alternative is a pregnant wife killing her husband because he won't buy her icecream, there is probably a time when it is healthy to eat icecream as eating it will be prolonging life. :)

Kale:

strip the leaves from the stems and finely slice the stems. put enough water to cover the bottom of a pan about a 1/4" or less, toss in the stems, let simmer for about five minutes or so. Coarsely chop of the leaves or shred the leaves into strips. Add add the leaves, let it cook down, steam/boil for a minute or so, while it's still bright green and firm, drain, and then sautee in a little bit of oil with some chopped fresh garlic. season with salt, pepper, sesame seeds and maybe some sesame oil. you can sautee it with a bit of soysauce too if you like. :-p

This seems to be the place to get advise, I hurt my knee a while ago and until I get it fixed I'm not really able to do much running as well as playing rugby has anybody got any ideas as to how I could improve my fitness without putting to much stress on my knee?

This seems to be the place to get advise, I hurt my knee a while ago and until I get it fixed I'm not really able to do much running as well as playing rugby has anybody got any ideas as to how I could improve my fitness without putting to much stress on my knee?

Are you able to use an elliptical machine? What type of injury do you have? ACL? MCL? Meniscal tear?

As a rugby player, I would definitely suggest chest, back, shoulder, arm, and particularly core workouts. None of those should hurt you. You can do a helluva lot of work with those. But if you can use an elliptical machine, I would certainly suggest it for basic cardio and keeping your legs from muscle atrophy.

You've never been depressed or had to fight against heiretity and give up every vice you've ever had, have you?

Until I was 37, I never had a single weight problem. Part was leaving the military for a desk job, a large part depression, and a HUGE part heiretity. I gave up alcohol first; gave up snacking; gave up everything but soda. Then I got pregnant. I gave up the soda then. Since then, I have been back and forth on the soda. I have done curves, got down to 195; but when I didn't have time for it, went back up 20 pounds. Motivation and time for the exercise are my main problems and I KNOW I can't lose with diet alone.

But everyone has time to work out! Sure they do. I get up at 5:30, shower and drive an hr to work. Work until 4, drive an hour home, pick up my 6 yr old. We do his homework, make him dinner, play a little and then his bath and bed. I am working on a paralegal course since I live in daily fear of losing my mortgage backed securites trust job.

Then I am exhaused and go to bed after doing dishes and cleaning up.

Now that the weather is nice, I can take my son on bike rides and walks and actually do a little exercising (plus I am doing a dance tape 3 times a week)

But yeah, it is not so easy, and discouragment is easy to find in a lot of places. 80% of the time, I am ok, but being in my mid-fourties I am also starting my change and have very irregular cycle and bad PMS every couple weeks instead of once a month.

Are you able to use an elliptical machine? What type of injury do you have? ACL? MCL? Meniscal tear?

As a rugby player, I would definitely suggest chest, back, shoulder, arm, and particularly core workouts. None of those should hurt you. You can do a helluva lot of work with those. But if you can use an elliptical machine, I would certainly suggest it for basic cardio and keeping your legs from muscle atrophy.

The doctor thinks I've torn some ligaments, basically I'm still able to run it's just once I do I'm not able to run again for a couple of days and my fitness this season has not been good enough. So I'm trying to find something I can do with a little more frequency.

Archived