NHL: Stanley Cup Playoffs

BLU-RAY

So I actually managed to find a video link to the Wings game. No audio though. I have the radio web-link going as well which is ahead of the video.

At least I'm actually watching the NHL for the first time in several years!

So I actually managed to find a video link to the Wings game. No audio though. I have the radio web-link going as well which is ahead of the video.

At least I'm actually watching the NHL for the first time in several years!

Where there's a will there's a way. Enjoy!

You know what's super embarrassing?

How much the Caps organization has been complaining to the media about the officiating. From their fat owner to their third liners. All of them are whining and crying about everything, including Yanni (yes, I mean YANNI...and yes, I'm serious).

Here's a clue Washington...when the opposing team spends most of the game in your end, you're going to take penalties and they're not.

And, as for Ovechkin's knee...I've watched that replay probably about 30 times at this point (if not more). It was dirty. Real dirty. In the slow-mo, you can see him straighten his leg, and kick it out towards Gonch a little. The Pens number 1 d-man is out for who knows how long and Ovechkin didn't even get a stern talking to. Yet, you know what's funny, Pittsburgh said maybe one thing on it and moved on with their lives. (Though, Matt Cooke did provide a gem, saying something like "If I would have done that, I know I'd be sitting")

Let's not even mention the Caps' message boards. Their "fans" are going as far as to want the team to just forfeit game 6 as a protest to the terrible officiating. It's incredible how delusional those people truly are.

Now do you understand what I was saying about it being a classless organization from top to bottom? =)

I think Ovechkin's hit could be considered dirty, but I don't know that slow-motion is any way to figure that out. Knee-to-knee hits come in three varieties: accidental, reactionary, and premeditated attempts to injure. Ovechkin's was the middle sort - certainly not a clean play, but nothing to lynch him over. I would have given him a major and a misconduct during the game for a reckless play that resulted in injury, but that's all.

Did the Ducks sample a bit too much of the Detroit night life Sat. night? They looked like zombies and the Wings ran all over them. Luckily for them Hiller didn't miss a beat after his shaky outing the previous game, or that would have been really ugly. As it was, 3 posts kept things from getting out of hand on their own.

You know what's super embarrassing?

How much the Caps organization has been complaining to the media about the officiating. From their fat owner to their third liners. All of them are whining and crying about everything, including Yanni (yes, I mean YANNI...and yes, I'm serious).

Here's a clue Washington...when the opposing team spends most of the game in your end, you're going to take penalties and they're not.

And, as for Ovechkin's knee...I've watched that replay probably about 30 times at this point (if not more). It was dirty. Real dirty. In the slow-mo, you can see him straighten his leg, and kick it out towards Gonch a little. The Pens number 1 d-man is out for who knows how long and Ovechkin didn't even get a stern talking to. Yet, you know what's funny, Pittsburgh said maybe one thing on it and moved on with their lives. (Though, Matt Cooke did provide a gem, saying something like "If I would have done that, I know I'd be sitting")

Let's not even mention the Caps' message boards. Their "fans" are going as far as to want the team to just forfeit game 6 as a protest to the terrible officiating. It's incredible how delusional those people truly are.

Now do you understand what I was saying about it being a classless organization from top to bottom? =)

Couple that with the blatant shooting of the puck at Scuderi at the end of the game, and I've really lost a lot of respect for Ovechkin in this series.

Yeah, don't take my above assessment of the knee thing to mean I'm not starting to think Ovie's a bit of a giant cocksmack.

Definitely. i pretty much agree with your assessment of the hit actually. It was dirty, but there is no reason to think he was intending to injure Gonchar.

not to sound like Don Cherry too much, but you want players to have the kind of respect for each other that prevents them not just from intending to injure, but from the kind of recklessness that ovechkin has shown.

It's too bad because he's obviously a phenomenal talent, and i don't even mind the goal celebrations, he's obviously got some personality, but he's either going to get seriously injured, or seriously injure someone else (besides gonchar) the way that he skates (and frequently leaves his skates), and that bothers me.

i love physical hockey, but there's a fine line between being physical and being completely reckless, and I think he crosses it way too often.

I just realized that I'm rooting for the remaining teams in order of favorite former Shark. Go figure.

If any one is curious:

Caps - Matt Bradley

Canucks - Steve Bernier

Blackhawks - Brian Campbell

Bruins - Marco Sturm (this would be much higher if he were actually playing)

Penguins - Billy Guerin (he was a useless Shark for a minute, but I think he and Pittsburgh are due for another cup)

Detroit - Brad Stuart (they just won one though)

Carolina - No Shark (recent win too)

Ducks - Teemu Selanne (Chris Pronger cancels out any one former Shark, plus recent win; also, I hate them)

Edit: Matt Bradley will play another game! Can't wait to get home and watch this one on DVR. Now, let's see if Bernier can follow through.

Two Canucks get hit late and get bloody noses, no call, but our guy bumps a Hawk near the bench and they Hawks get the power play and score. I call BS.

3-2 so far, we have hope.

EDIT: 3-3 now! Shane O'Brien scores his first ever as a Canuck. He didnt score one all season, I hope someone gave him that puck.

3-3 now! Shane O'Brien scores his first ever as a Canuck. He didnt score one all season, I hope someone gave him that puck.

This is shaping up to be another fantastic game.

Edit: Before last week I had no idea who Ben Eager or Dustin 'Bufflin' were. I do now.

Alright I've seen the Ovie/Gonchar replay a million times, and honestly, I don't see what was so downright filthy about it. Its hockey and there is post play contact pretty much non-stop. If he did do it on purpose, which I won't deny is quite possible, then I very seriously doubt he meant to hurt him. Perhaps if Ovie is good enough to turn a little bump into a season ending injury at will then the KGB should see if they can outbid the Caps on his salary. They can probably use an assassin with his skills.

Just seems like the typical 'waaaaaa waaaa waaaa' coming out of Pittsburgh to me. Funny though, how bias colors perception. I have a good buddy in Pittsburgh that called me immediately after tonight's game to complain about the lack of calls against the Caps. :lol:

Partick Kane scored a hat tirck and I burst into tears (I've stated this all over the board but I cry at the drop of a hat).

That's it, it's over, and so so many of my favourite Canucks are UFA. We're going to lose them all and Louie too, I really dont think he'll sign an extension. Time to go pack up my playoff gear :cry:

Partick Kane scored a hat tirck and I burst into tears (I've stated this all over the board but I cry at the drop of a hat).

That's it, it's over, and so so many of my favourite Canucks are UFA. We're going to lose them all and Louie too, I really dont think he'll sign an extension. Time to go pack up my playoff gear :cry:

:grouphug: Don't worry about free agency until it happens. You never know.

At least the Canucks weren't the number one seed and lost in the first round. Because that would be awful.

Alright I've seen the Ovie/Gonchar replay a million times, and honestly, I don't see what was so downright filthy about it. Its hockey and there is post play contact pretty much non-stop. If he did do it on purpose, which I won't deny is quite possible, then I very seriously doubt he meant to hurt him. Perhaps if Ovie is good enough to turn a little bump into a season ending injury at will then the KGB should see if they can outbid the Caps on his salary. They can probably use an assassin with his skills.

So, let me get this straight...if he went knee on knee on purpose, he didn't mean to injure him? How long have you been watching hockey? This postseason?

If it was accidental or reactionary (reactionary being the most likely) then the intent to injure isn't there...but if it's on purpose...yeah, there's intent to injure. But, hey...Ovechkin's just a passionate guy, all illegal hits become a legal part of his passionate game.

Just seems like the typical 'waaaaaa waaaa waaaa' coming out of Pittsburgh to me. Funny though, how bias colors perception. I have a good buddy in Pittsburgh that called me immediately after tonight's game to complain about the lack of calls against the Caps. :lol:

Really? The Capitals have been the only team boohooing this entire series. Even when they were winning, they were still whining. Your comment is laughable at best, sport.

If it was accidental or reactionary (reactionary being the most likely) then the intent to injure isn't there...but if it's on purpose...yeah, there's intent to injure. But, hey...Ovechkin's just a passionate guy, all illegal hits become a legal part of his passionate game.

I disagree. Nobody said anything about it being legal, he shouldnt have done it. But these guys push, shove, hit, and bump into each other the entire game. I don't see why its such a stretch to think that he meant to bump into the guy but didn't mean to end his season. Yea, he probably meant to knock him on his ass. Doesnt mean he meant to send him home.

Really? The Capitals have been the only team boohooing this entire series. Even when they were winning, they were still whining. Your comment is laughable at best, sport.

Yea, the Pens have been quiet as mice. Except when Ovie scores a hat trick or runs into somebody. We could do it your way though and petition to have hats banned at the Verizon center as not to interrupt Crosby's chi, then book Ovie for assault. Better yet, how about the Caps just forfeit game seven for being such a classless, amoral organization from top to bottom.

Jeez man, if you don't see whining coming out of Pittsburgh, you aren't looking very hard.

But, whatever, I don't want to argue about it. Its been a really exciting series and I've enjoyed it thoroughly. With the stars on both teams and the Caps and Pens AHL teams also duking it out right now, I think Caps/Pens is something that isn't going away anytime soon.

it's been explained numerous times. He led with the leg. That makes it a dirty, knee on knee hit. Whether he intended to hurt him or not is really irrelevant as intent to injure is not a pre-requisite to a hit being dirty.

Pretty simple really if you know anything about hockey.

Just seems like the typical 'waaaaaa waaaa waaaa' coming out of Pittsburgh to me.

:rofl:

You don't really follow the caps, their fans, or their coach much do you?

I disagree. Nobody said anything about it being legal, he shouldnt have done it.

Um... Actually, someone did.....

Alright I've seen the Ovie/Gonchar replay a million times, and honestly, I don't see what was so downright filthy about it.

But these guys push, shove, hit, and bump into each other the entire game. I don't see why its such a stretch to think that he meant to bump into the guy but didn't mean to end his season. Yea, he probably meant to knock him on his ass. Doesnt mean he meant to send him home.

Again, intent to injure isn't really relevant. You throw an illegal, dirty hit that ends someones season, and then essentially blame the guy you hit? Pretty classless if you ask me. I think if this were a court of law that would fall under 'Negligent Kneeicide' and he'd be convicted pretty easily.

You don't lead with the leg. it's that simple.

Yea, the Pens have been quiet as mice. Except when Ovie scores a hat trick or runs into somebody. We could do it your way though and petition to have hats banned at the Verizon center as not to interrupt Crosby's chi, then book Ovie for assault. Better yet, how about the Caps just forfeit game seven for being such a classless, amoral organization from top to bottom.

Jeez man, if you don't see whining coming out of Pittsburgh, you aren't looking very hard.

there are going to be whiny fans of any team.

Generally the actual teams don't get too involved in it.

The caps organization seems to revel in it from the owner on down.

Archived