NHL: Stanley Cup Playoffs

BLU-RAY

I had a couple softball games today so we were listening to the first two periods of the Caps game on the radio in the dugout. I walked in the door to my apartment just in time to watch Federov score the game winner. I am pleased.

Well, shit. Looks like I'm rooting for Pittsburgh and Vancouver, now.

Pretty sure I went 5-8 on series, having screwed up the NY, NJ, and Calgary picks. So. Second round!

Boston vs. Carolina

Boston in 6. I really am not sure about this series, because I don't know either team all that well, but Boston is a relatively confident bunch just now, and while the Canes may have a firepower edge (at least in terms of stars), I will take the no. 1 seed and the horse defenseman.

Capitals vs. Penguins

Pittsburgh in 6. I want to pick Pittsburgh in 5, because I think they're better, they're more experienced, their goalie is superior, and because Washington just went to 7 games against a bad team. But the Caps do tend to pick up their game vs. the Pens, so I think they'll pull out a game 5 at home. Won't matter in the end, though.

Detroit vs. Anaheim

Anaheim in 7. I'm pulling for the Ducks to win this, so maybe I'm biased, but I think they're a team that can cause the Red Wings some problems. Cool matchup, though, last year's champs vs. the champs of the previous year.

Vancouver vs. Chicago

Canucks in 6. Calgary got an absolute shit-ton of shots against Khabibulin in Round 1, but I have more faith in Vancouver's ability to put the puck in the net. Plus, they're well-rested, and they have Luongo.

Boston vs. Carolina? Wow, my 2nd favorite team vs. my 1st favorite team. So soon? I will be pulling for the 'Canes, but the realist in me sees the Bruins winning in 6. Will I cry if the 'Canes lose? Yes. But I will at least be content that my 2nd favorite team will go on. But nonetheless, LET'S GO 'CANES!

Woohoo! The teams I was pulling for have all generally made it (except for the Habs, of course... and I would have liked it if Philly had won and if Columbus and St. Louis both at least won won a few games). Go Anaheim, Chicago, Detroit, Carolina, Vancouver and Washington! Detroit has always been my second favourite, so I'm rooting for them; still, I really hope Washington and Vancouver (as the only remaining Canadian team) go far. But really, I'm happy with all six of those teams winning- and while I may not like the Pens or the Bruins, at least they're entertaining to watch. Sucks that I won't be around to watch the rest of the playoffs, because there's going to be some good stuff this year- I particularly want to watch the Pens/Capitals matchup.

Playoff Pick 'Em Standings:

Brandon Stark: 38 pts.

TheHoundRules: 36 pts.

Brahm_K: 30 pts

Biter: 27 pts.

Lord O' Bones: 25 pts.

DVD ROTS: 21 pts.

arizonahotrock: 16 pts

Maggie: 10 pts.

I think the bird qualifies as a stunning disappointment.

7/8 series was tops, with no one picking Anaheim.

Conference Semifinal Picks

Detroit vs. Anaheim

In a neat match-up that I, along with most Red Wing fans, was absolutely dreading, we get the last two Cup winners going at it. Getzlaf and Hiller are both playing frighteningly well, but as talented as San Jose has become in their remodeled concept, it still falls short of what they'll see vs. Detroit. Getzlaf and the other Ducks forwards will have to contend with three centers who have all either won or been nominated for the Selke, in addition to Cleary and Franzen who have both been playing very well and with a physical edge. All-in-all, this series should be awfully similar to Ducks/Sharks, except that Detroit has an edge in talent and the necessary experience and leadership to succeed where San Jose couldn't. If Hiller stays as hot as he's been and the goaltending begins to tip heavily in the favor of the Sharks, the Wings could be done for. Look for early goals in both the series and the individual games by Detroit to be the key to them moving on. Red Wings in 6

Vancouver vs. Chicago

St. Louis was much worse than people were giving them credit for, so I don't want to put too much stock into how quickly Vancouver ended their first round series, especially with how easily any number of those games could have gone the other way. The Flames were downright awful down the stretch too, though, so I'm not about to crown Chicago kings of the world for needing 7 games to move on. When it comes down to it, as well as Khabibulin played I still think Luongo is playing better, and the Blackhawks lack of playoff experience amongst their biggest names is going to catch up with them as they get frustrated offensively. You simply can't beat a team like Vancouver if you're going to be outshot as heavily as Chicago was at times in the series, particularly in the deciding game.Canucks in 5

Washington vs. Pittsburgh

Somewhere, Gary Bettman's rat-faced little head is about to explode with glee. In a match-up between the leagues two "biggest stars," - one of whom isn't even the best player on his team - a few things could come into play. One of them is Alexander Ovechkins newly found leadership. If anyone saw the post-game interviews after the Rangers took their 3-1 series lead, you know that there was no doubt in his mind that the series wasn't over, and that the Capitals were still going to win. I can't help but think that his example had a lot to do with their relatively unseasoned locker room holding it together in staging such a big comeback. From an on-ice perspective, he's also one of the only guys in all of hockey who can literally score all by himself, almost with regularity. If he takes over a game or two and carries his team on his back, I could see Washington winning. Otherwise, the Penguins' superior defense and the experience they gained in last year's run to the finals are coming out on top. Pittsburgh in 7.

Boston vs. Carolina

How much rest is too much? After dismantling what was left of an already collapsing Montreal, the Bruins have had so much time off that they're playing live scrimmages during practice to stay sharp. The Hurricanes, on the other hand, are coming off a highly competitive, potentially draining series against New Jersey in which they may have expended more energy, but also looked to maintain the tidal wave of momentum they've been riding since they turned into a late-season juggernaut after the trade deadline brought their boys home. Its a really tough one to call, so I'd like to rely on the regular season results - 4-0 in favor of the Bruins - but none of those games took place after the deadline, and Carolina isn't the same team. No one on New Jersey's defensive roster has the physical presence of Chara, so I'm going to say that Whitney and Staal slow down a bit this round, and that's just enough for Boston to squeak by. Bruins in 7.

Well, my first round didn't go so well...damned Western conference...

I guess I'll start with...sigh...the Western conference.

Red Wings v. Ducks - I dunno...I didn't think Anaheim was going to win a single game against SJ, let alone the series. Do they have what it takes to pull off two stunners in a row? I have no idea. I'm just leaving it up to chance (rolls dice). Red Wings in 6

Canucks v. Blackhawks - I didn't think Chicago's experience level would get them out of the first round, but it did. Now they have the other Western Canadian team who is a lot healthier, a little more cohesive at the moment, and has a much better goaltender. Vancouver takes the first two on home ice, splits in Chicago, and wins the 5th game. Canucks in 5

WAGONS EAST!

Bruins v. Canes - To be honest, I haven't watched much of the Bruins this season. They have to be a good team to be number 1 in the conference...They can roll 4 lines as good, if not better, than any other team in the playoffs right now (actually, I think the only teams that compare in that regard are Detroit and Pittsburgh). This long, long break has to be taking a toll on them though. Meanwhile, Carolina has been playing lights out since February. That Devils series could have went either way, and Carolina pulled off one of the all-time great stunner moment in NHL history to win that series. They're riding high on momentum right now and should be able to take the first game against Boston on that alone. I think this series goes 6 or 7 (depending on the first two games, really)...and, to me, it's like the Devils series...I have no idea who is going to win. I'll give it to Carolina though...Carolina in 6

Pens v. Caps - Well...here's where we're at in this one. There is no way I plan on trying to be neutral on this one...I hate the Caps, from the ownership down to the fanbase. Classless from head to toe. The Pens had their struggles against the Caps this season, but all of those games came before the sweeping changes made to Pittsburgh (other than one game after the coaching change). The Pittsburgh team, built as it is now, and operating the way it is now, will give nightmares to the Caps. Kunitz, Cooke, and Orpik (yes, Mr. Free Candy himself) will punish some of the softer Capitals (I'm looking at you Semin and Green). Also, if the Pens put some pressure and some hits on Ovechkin, he definitely tends to take himself out of the play trying to get retribution. Not to mention he always tries to go after Malkin, often times taking himself way out of the play. Malkin and Crosby both have some demons to exorcise against Washington, and should do so against an untested rookie goalie. Let's face it...15 shots a night isn't being tested and he still managed to lose two of those games. Pens in 5

My turn! I didnt make picks in the first round, but I'm going to play anyways.

West:

Anaheim Vs Detroit. The Ducks are good, and Hiller is amazing. Plus he's relaxed and having fun. Detroit may have beaten the "returning champions curse" in the first round, but I dont think they'll get out of this one. Ducks in 7.

Canucks vs Blackhawks. I'm biased here because the Canucks are my team. That said, the Hawks are young, they are tired, and they didnt even get to go home between rounds 1 and 2. The Canucks have been resting and the injured guys are back, and we have Captain Luongo. Canucks in 5.

East:

I dont know a lot about the East, it's a downfall of living out west, the eastern games are on in the middle of the afternoon.

Bruins Vs Hurricanes. I think that the Canes will have some momentum, but Boston is the better team. Bruins in 6.

Pens vs Capitals. This will probably be the most entertaining series outside the Canucks. It'll be long and ugly, and it may come down to Varlamov, can he take the pressure? I think it'll take 7 games, but I'm tossing a coin for the winner.

Caps in 7.

Red Wings vs. Ducks - Red Wings in 6

Getzlaf, Nieds, Hiller and many others have been firing on all cylinders, but they still don't match up against the Wings' depth. Osgood might have some breakdowns, but not enough to lose the series... at least that's what I hope.

Canucks vs. Blackhawks - Canucks in 6

I have been greatly impressed by the 'Hawks, and although they have a defensive core that can give any team nightmares, I just don't see them going any further this year... at least that's if Luongo shows up for this series.

Bruins vs. Hurricanes - Bruins in 7

Paul Maurice with his old team, Eric Staal and Ward in the playoffs? This should be an exciting and competetive series, but depth should yet again win against a hot team.

Capitals vs. Penguins - Capitals in 6

While the Caps had some definite playoff jitters against a clearly worse team in the first round, they should now be able to get their act together. I'm predicting this even though Gonchar is much better that any D on the Caps (including that fourth forward who scored a lot of goals this year) and Fleury is an experienced and consistent goalie. Wishful thinking? You bet.

Red Wings vs. Ducks- Red Wings in 6

Canucks vs. Blackhawks- Blackhawks in 7

Bruins vs. Hurricanes- Bruins in 6

Capitols vs. Penguins- Penguins in 6

And, since I'm going to be out of town for the rest of the playoffs, I'm making my conference final and Stanley cup final picks now- if I actually win this, I will be the coolest kid on the block. Of course, all my second round guesses will be wrong, so...

Western conference final: Red Wings vs. Blackhawks- Blackhawks in 6

Eastern Conference: Bruins vs. Penguins- Bruins in 5

Stanley cup final: Bruins vs. Blackhawks: Bruins in 6

I just want the Bruins to win. I really fucking hate Peter Karmanos. They're a better team, so they've got that going for them.

I'd also like to see Anaheim, Vancouver, and Washington win, because I hate the Red Wings, I have fond memories of Vancouver from NHL 94 on the Genesis, and I slightly prefer the Caps to the Pens for no really good reason.

I just want the Bruins to win. I really fucking hate Peter Karmanos. They're a better team, so they've got that going for them.

I'd also like to see Anaheim, Vancouver, and Washington win, because I hate the Red Wings, I have fond memories of Vancouver from NHL 94 on the Genesis, and I slightly prefer the Caps to the Pens for no really good reason.

Bitter?

Well, I may as well make my predictions, too.

Detroit vs. Anaheim - Detroit in 7. I can't see either team backing down and each game should be a hard-fought one.

Vancouver vs. Chicago - Vancouver in 5. Two words. Roberto Luongo.

Boston vs. Carolina - Boston in 7. Another hard-fought series that'll come to the last game of the series.

Washington vs. Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh in 5. The Caps moved on less because of their prowess and more because the Rangers self-destructed as a team.

Edited cuz I'm silly.

Come again?

Colour me skeptical, but I just don't see the Caps coming back from a 3-1 deflict were it not for Avery's antics, his benching, Tortorella's rampage and then suspension. That team just didn't have it in them to show up for Game 7, and I fully understand why they didn't fare much better in Game 6. Avery turned out to be too much of a liability, no matter how well he played in Game 7. The Rangers won despite his bullshit antics in Game 4. I can't see the Rangers not finishing up the Caps if Avery behaved himself and if Tortorella didn't get suspended.

Colour me skeptical, but I just don't see the Caps coming back from a 3-1 deflict were it not for Avery's antics, his benching, Tortorella's rampage and then suspension. That team just didn't have it in them to show up for Game 7, and I fully understand why they didn't fare much better in Game 6. Avery turned out to be too much of a liability, no matter how well he played in Game 7. The Rangers won despite his bullshit antics in Game 4. I can't see the Rangers not finishing up the Caps if Avery behaved himself and if Tortorella didn't get suspended.

He's wondering why you picked the Caps in 5 if you think they shouldn't have gotten out of the 1st round.

Archived