US Politics XI

Inigima

To be fair, with the exception of Sanford's bizarre "Appalachian Trail" business, this seems surprisingly mundane by the standards of Republican* sex scandals.

You left out the whole Ryan affair - which is (with some hindsight) a large reason why BO is prez now.

Actually, I think they were trying to stab you.

There did seem to be some flesh putrescence, and they kept moaning about brains. Perhaps they weren't after me for my intellect as I thought previously, and they were actually zombies. This will require several repeat trips to the brewery to ascertain.

It's usually pretty damn obvious when there is a disaster. I don't need someone to tell me. Even then, I'm betting for those who need someone to make an official one, they'll find somebody.

I think there is a point to the declarations other than to demonstrate a grasp of the obvious, hee. Like initiating the emergency plans, funds and so on. And while I do agree that anyone can be rounded up to say "Shit's fucked up here in Jackson county since those tornadoes ripped through, send help!" I also believe that the bureaucracy that you spoke of earlier, of which Governors are a part, requires a little more than that to get everything movin'.

Does anyone else see a parallel between John McCain rushing to Washington to superman save the economy and the neocons insistence that we should be doing something more in Iran?

two solid instances where Obama's judgement to stay above the fray is smart.

Does anyone else see a parallel between John McCain rushing to Washington to superman save the economy and the neocons insistence that we should be doing something more in Iran?

Since McCain is one of those jackasses pushing for direct involvement in Iran, it's pretty consistent for him. Whatever he once was (and I'm not convinced he was ever a genuine leader), since at least 2004 he has been a desperate, grandstanding sellout.

I think there is a point to the declarations other than to demonstrate a grasp of the obvious, hee. Like initiating the emergency plans, funds and so on. And while I do agree that anyone can be rounded up to say "Shit's fucked up here in Jackson county since those tornadoes ripped through, send help!" I also believe that the bureaucracy that you spoke of earlier, of which Governors are a part, requires a little more than that to get everything movin'.

Definitely. I am certain that there are state funds and resources that can be released, or departments that can be mobilized, only by the order of the governor. If a crisis had arisen whilst Sanford was off with his Argentinian mistress, there are likely key state officials who could have refused to act on the orders of the lieutenant governor, to whom Sanford had never officially transferred his powers. There would be no centralized authority, and the people of South Carolina would have had to hope that all the various players in government just decided to get along with each other and coordinate their efforts because...well, because they just love their jobs. Given the screwed-up state of affairs of the NY state senate, that's a thin hope.

Fun facts for Thursday!

John Ensign, post-affair, is still more popular than Harry Reid.

Pat Toomey looks like a deranged mad scientist. Oh, and another PA Republican endorsed him. Yawn.

Limbaugh blames Obama for Sanford's affair. The list of things for which Rush Limbaugh hasn't yet irrationally blamed Obama continues to dwindle over time.

Rep Michelle Bachmann, ever reliable source of right wing foolishness, has advocated against filling out the Census form. Because, apparently, your information will fall into the soiled, swarthy hands of ACORN. And then the government will use it to lock us into internment camps like they did to the Japanese in the 40s.

I don't understand why this is only now, suddenly, becoming an issue for her.

Well, I mean, I do. It's just wildly inconsistent and transparent.

Fixed that. South Caronlinans are tough. They can make it.

Well, that's a different (yet familiar :)) argument from no one would notice if their Govs and 90% of their other elected officials were gone until an election came around.

Dude, I tried to guess who you meant when you said "Senator Weathervane." I'm proud to report that the first person that popped into my head was the guy. hahahahah

Nicely done. :cheers: There's a reason I didn't mention his actual name.

Anyone with some study of constitutional law know to what extent the absence of a governor could affect things? I admit to not knowing for certain that the SC governor wandering off is a big deal in terms of state governance. I thought that the governor was necessary for emergency situations, such as hurricanes, terrorist standoffs, that sort of thing. And I also thought that SC in general was a strong supporter of state right over federal, which would make it harder to manage some ridiculous weather tragedy with no state chief executive.

I admit to not knowing for certain that the SC governor wandering off is a big deal in terms of state governance. I thought that the governor was necessary for emergency situations, such as hurricanes, terrorist standoffs, that sort of thing.

Depending on how you define "necessary". The Governor is the only one who can activate the national guard in the event of an emergency. For me I'd rather not rely on government emergency planning, but most folks would I guess.

Depending on how you define "necessary". The Governor is the only one who can activate the national guard in the event of an emergency. For me I'd rather not rely on government emergency planning, but most folks would I guess.

I'd rather not rely on government emergency planning, either. But I understand that is part of what taxes go to pay for and that a responsible executive tries to think of how best to serve his constituents. People were looking for this guy for days, a number of things could have happened in the interim.

Catch a load of this apparently its all Obama's fault. At least the dittoheads are constant

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/06...bamas-fault.php

As commenters pointed out... Sanford's been tangoing with his Latin lover for over a year. This affair started when Obama was a Senator and Bush was still our Impervious Leader. They're not even trying to be plausible, and the people who buy this crap reasoning have let their brains atrophy like so much jellied couch potato ass.

Did he (Rush) actually imply that Bill Clinton went to Argentina because of what is happening to America?

He said that Sanford felt compelled to get his jollies abroad because of what Obama is doing to America. An escape from the twisted realm of Obama's dark kingdom!

I suppose the Nightmare Life-in-Death of Bill Clinton's torturous 8 years made him stress-eat and made Ann Coulter stop eating altogether.

Archived