Cast of Game of Thrones: Sean Bean confirmed

NoSpeakEnglish

Addy isn't my vision of Robert. I think he's a great actor and I have no qualms about the height. After what they did with Lord of the Rings in terms of manipulating people's height they could make Addy look as tall as they want. I pictured a muscular guy who can play the flashbacks in a fat suit. Oh well I guess no flash backs, at least not without Robert's helmet off. Acting wise Addy should be able to carry the role no problem.

Very happy about Sean Bean, and the others look / sound like good picks too.

Waiting to see some female cast, and keen to know whether any of "our" folk get any parts (even though they be walk-ons with no lines). Still hoping for a certain person as Theon.

1)Mark Addy could be good or not it depends on the scene.

He is not a chubby but a kind of relaxed bearman.

When he was young he used to play rugby for a while so

he's got a tough body a despite you can't see that.

The matter you have not seen Mark in action movies

it doesn't mean he is not portly, you don't know what he does

on his own days on his own life.

The strength of a person doesn't depend on his/her size.

But, in a hand, I don't see Mark Addy as a King who lay down

drinking and eating like Dionysus. no no no no no, definitely!!

2)about 'his audition'...audition? Mark Addy? it sounds strange, I mean

after years and years spent between tv, cinema and theatre

does he need an audition? and I don't add anymore

(perhaps it could be a way doing people loose regard and

estimate about a good actor, it is happened many times,

just the 'wrong move' on the 'right place' then the actor's career

*BOOM* it fells down forever and Mark Addy knows what I'm talking about,

maybe didn't Still Standing experience teach him anything?)

I'm really curious to see this famous audition so

all we can reckon if he is fit for this character or not.

(actually, at the end, audience decides if an actor is fine or not

for character he is playing for, the director opinion is not definitive).

I saw him live in 2002 in Rome along Heath Ledger and

he was terrific! He is terrific. He doesn't need auditions, trust me.

For the rest, I do to like Sean Bean, a gentleman with good posing

and I really want to see him wearing a beautiful armor.

I don't know others but I glad to see new faces....sometime.

Oh well I guess no flash backs, at least not without Robert's helmet off. Acting wise Addy should be able to carry the role no problem.

Strange. I've never seen much of a need for flashbacks. Especially anything with Robert in it. Maybe his battle with Rhaegar but that's just 2 brutes hitting each other. It doesn't interest me that much. But as you say, they don't need to show his face.

Mark Addy? it sounds strange, I mean after years and years spent between tv, cinema and theatre does he need an audition?

I wouldn't have thought he was that famous. But ***shrug***

We all know that what we need out of any competent individual is being tall.

:lol:

Apparently he's famous enough to have fans that post up entire YouTube accounts dedicated to him.

Or, that's Addy's account, and parsek is his agent. Or chum.

Or it's Addy himself.

Either way, parsek, welcome to the forums! We're going to see our forum numbers and posts spike as people who wouldn't necessarily have been fans of A Song of Ice and Fire start seeking information on the series their favorite actor(s) are now attached too.

If I were a stolid member of the Mark Addy Fanclub, I would certainly be curious as to what kind of king Addy would be playing.

So welcome, newcomers. And during your wait for leaked photos or footage in October (I can't wait either), do yourselves a favor and pick up the first book in the series, A Game of Thrones. Winter is coming.

In the U.S. he's not well known, but I get the feeling that in the U.K. and maybe in Europe he is a lot more famous. He seems to have a very strong following of fans out there.

Either way, parsek, welcome to the forums!

thank you

Or, that's Addy's account, and parsek is his agent. Or chum.

oh no no no! :-) that account his mine (neither I know if Mark agree).

I'm no one! no his chum nor Addy himself. I'm only a fan who show his modest point of view.

I don't want offense anyone. I am 'a grain of sand in the middle of the desert'.

Besides I am Mark Addy fan. I known him on Still Standing and I've got astonished from his skills.

I like him very much. Then I saw his last performance on Red Riding:1983 when Mark has been a revelation.

I really think Game Of Thrones will be a grand production. It will need a lot of work, mind, heart and soul from anyone of the cast and crew but, you know, when you love your work no one can tell you what you do because you move with instinct.

In the U.S. he's not well known

mmmmm I don't think so in fact most of the people who put comments on his clips are from US.

so add up that

in the U.K. and maybe in Europe he is a lot more famous. He seems to have a very strong following of fans out there.

you are right in Europe Mark has got more fans than you think since Full Monty, so I'm saying since 1996/97.

If you take a round on the web you will find that in Yorkshire many people loves him.

They say 'he is a tasty blok!' or 'he is such a lovable man' or 'if you work along him you feel very comfortable'

or 'he is a very gentleman'....

I can go on but I think those comments are good enough.

Don't judge him for his body because it is stupid then he is very nice and he get a pure heart.

parsek, if anything, I and the one or two others who have doubts about Addy are worried about him not being big enough, not because he is a bit chubby. He seems like a funny and nice guy and seems to have some talent, I'm just not entirely convinced he is right for the part physically.

I don't get all that size discussion.

Heck, in LOTR they cast the Hobbits with normal sized actors. I don't think Addy having or not having a few inches on Bean should be any problem here. And the right clothes can go a long way to disguise - or add - a few extra pounds (if there's really a nude scene with Robert , they can always use a body double).

Let me put it this way.

Now obviously you aren't going to find many actors that look like that, but you could get a lot closer and the talent is out there, I assure you. Like I said before, I really am hopeful. I just hope twice as much that they plan to do some serious makeup and camera work to make me believe this guy is a warrior king that could strike fear in the hearts of anyone unlucky enough to face him.

I agree with you, Paddy. Now it is true that a few certain actors are so typecast I'd have a problem envisioning them as anyone else, but they're few and far between. For example, if James Gandolfini showed up as Robert? :lol:

But you're insane if you don't think an actor as skilled James Gandolfini wouldn't have the range to portray Robert. Give him 2 minutes on screen and you'd likely forget about Tony Soprano. Particularly in period garb and a full beard. And I'm pretty sure every producer involved would've wet their pants if he'd been an actual possibility for the part.

That said, I'm very pleased about the casting of Mark Addy. I think it's a terrific role and I believe he'll nail it. Pariticularly if he's already killing in auditions.

Fudging someone's appearance to make them look bigger than they really are is just about the easiest thing to do on the screen.

Relax, people. They could have cast Alan Cumming in the role and made him look like Robert.

Robert doesn't looks like that at all. :stunned: That's more like Robert 15 years ago.

Lets take a quote from aGoT...

"The king has gained at least 8 stone. A beard as coarse and black as iron wire covered his jaw to hide his double chin and the sag of the royal jowls but nothing could hide his stomach".

That appearance is going to strike fear into somebody? Maybe if they feared been sat upon by Robert. :) Otherwise your comments are bizarre.

You can argue that Addy doesn't look like that also but since I don't believe Addy has to look exactly like the book, that doesn't bother me. Especially since they will do some work on him for the series.

Edited to add: Of course they will bother to make him look more like Robert as described. Why wouldn't they? They have to put clothes/make up on him anyhow. But no, I doubt they would bother making him almost exactly like him. Why would they?

I don't get all that size discussion.

Heck, in LOTR they cast the Hobbits with normal sized actors. I don't think Addy having or not having a few inches on Bean should be any problem here. And the right clothes can go a long way to disguise - or add - a few extra pounds (if there's really a nude scene with Robert , they can always use a body double).

Actually, I have always thought of Ned as of average height (5'10 to 6'0), Robert is 6'6, thats not a few inches, that is a full half foot difference, in the least. But as many have stated, there are visual effects mastered by Peter Jackson on LoTR to handle the height differences. And Addy is certainly a vet of screen and stage, no doubt he could pull off the role.

But I had always hoped that the actor who played Robert would play ALL the Baratheon brothers. It would really put an exclamation point on Catelyn's shocking first encounter w/the adult Renly, who she initially mistakens for a young Robert come to life. And Renly plays off of this image, not just with himself, but when he tries to orchestrate a union for Robert w/Maegery Tyrell (who he believes is a spitting image of Lyanna Stark). I would have loved to see Billy Zane playing all 3 roles.

I could also see young actors cast who resemble their "parents". I really hope that the producers keep this in mind when they cast Arya (and I can see a slight resemblence with Bean and Harrington). An important element of this story is about familial resemblences after all.

So, does anyone know how long stuff like this usually takes to be acknowledged on IMDb?

Someone needs to add it, either a fan or someone on the production. I was gonna do it, but I haven't bothered yet. Hopefully someone else already has. I don't know if anyone on the production is actually bothering with that.

Archived