Cast of Game of Thrones: Sean Bean confirmed

NoSpeakEnglish

Perfection is a pretty tough thing to pull off, mind you share this evidence with the rest of the class?

Your hyperbole is unimpressive.

I may have mistyped. I meant very good/well, not perfect. Of course the wick line is irritating. There probably is someone who looks more the part than Mark Addy. Or Sean Bean. Or even Peter Dinklage. But at the end of the day if the spirit of the book is kept, it will be good. I don't want to watch the book on TV. For that I have my imagination. I want to watch a story in the spirit of the book that's made unique via television. And from what I've seen, it matches the spirit of the book very well. If GRRM thinks what he wants is being transferred well, I have no reason to disagree until we see the fucking thing. If they have a pretty big guy instead of a giant for Gregor, I'm not going to be upset. If Sandor's scarring isn't severe enough, I won't be upset. If they make the dragons with six legs each, I won't be upset.

Please realize: The show will not be the books. It will be different. And most of those changes? They'll be improvements.

Nice post Silverstar.

And of course I couldn't have done it without the constant disappointment from Hollywood and the many hardly-working hacks that made me so jaded to begin with.

The silly thing about the jaded routine is that I wonder why you can't just get over it? Hollywood is going to always let you down if you expect them to get everything very close to the book series. But if you come into this with a more realistic view...

According to Parris, Mark Addy can act. Do we really need to debate this any more?

Mark Addy can act whatever but in the end audience will decide if he is fine or not especially who read the book or who used to play with card's game knowing each single skill of that character.

Obviously you can't decide for them, they are the production, they pay, they choose.

You express your comment but they don't care of it.

I think, basically, we need to accept that the series is not going to be 'perfect'.

Why do we need to accept that series? if you accept that it's your personal opinion you cannot talk for everybody.

Robert is a great character, but he's not the most important one to be perfect.

you start to underrate King Robert character which is mean in your background's words also you disagree with Mark Addy choice.

After what I'm reading here most of us agree Mark Addy can to make a terrific performance but he isn't adapted about his body.

I wonder...if production turn Addy figure with special effects, make up, computer etc... they could make a virtual character definitely.

I mean, having all Mark Addy disguised on the set it seems to have 'Michael Chiklis playing The Thing in Fantastic four'. It's a waste.

At least Mark get stuck himself at the gym in these two months pumping his muscles.....wellell...it's an idea..yeah!

This is a good idea as a lot of Hollywood actors do for. In two months they change his body.

Sean Bean is a 50 charm man. He is fine.

Why do we need to accept that series? if you accept that it's your personal opinion you cannot talk for everybody.

*shrugs* Well, don't accept it then, but you'll end up being disappointed, because it won't be. It literally can't be, because everyone has a different interpretation of what the characters should look like, and what the intricacies of their personalities are, and exactly what scenes are important and which can be cut. There is no possible way that everyone will be happy with the series in every respect.

you start to underrate King Robert character which is mean in your background's words also you disagree with Mark Addy choice.

Huh?

I don't have a problem with Mark Addy as Robert. I think he'll be great. Other people do have a problem with him, apparently. What I'm saying is that considering his role in the series as a whole, there are other characters that are more vital to get down as perfect as possible, because they play a much, much bigger part in the storyline.

When I see the pictures of Mark Addy with a beard from "A Knight's Tale" he looks pretty much exactly how I imagined Robert. Without the beard, maybe his face looks kind of too boyish, but with he looks perfect - and that's all that matters for this production, no? His body type will be fine, too. Maybe he isn't as muscled up top as Robert would be (despite all the years of letting it go to pot), but that is so easy to fake with costuming. He's mostly supposed to be fat, which he is, a little bit of faked bulk in the pecs won't be difficult.

"HBO" isn't a person, they aren't a collective hive mind of perfect television-producing supermen. These producers are new to HBO, many of the writers will have never worked on an HBO production either. Don't assume that just because HBO is fronting the cash and has their logo stamped on it that nothing can go wrong. I haven't been overly impressed with the entirety of either David or Dan's work, not to mention the script for this, so I'm going to assume guilty until proven innocent. Doesn't mean I won't be overjoyed to be proven wrong.

Except you're talking about casting. The casting director is the same person they had for Rome. Rome was, IMO, perfectly cast. So the HBO-is-awesome-so-this-will-be-awesome train of logic follows reasonably well for the casting side of things as well.

I think, basically, we need to accept that the series is not going to be 'perfect'...

Excellent post. I approve this message :thumbsup:

repetitive, just what I wrote...

Miscommunication, then. It sounded like you were saying that no one should have to accept anything less than the series being perfect, but I obviously misunderstood :)

Yes.

All the other adults have been aged up 15 years. It only makes sense for Cersei to be 40ish in this new timeline.

Um, no, they haven't. Do you even have the slightest idea what you're talking about?

Ned in the pilot script is 40. Drogo is 30. Cersei and Jaime are in their 30's. They've been aged up slightly, but by nowhere near 15 years.

Casting an older actor to play a younger part is a very different thing from "aging a character up."

Hey, anyone know what's infinitely more important that a few inches of height, being exactly the right age to the month and having the "correct fat build?"

Actual fucking acting talent. The ability to talk about a fantasy world and make it seem realistic, lived in and emotionally true. the ability to work with the other actors to create the illusion of family, or rivalry or even being someone's ruler. Wit. Charm. Presence.

It's much harder to come by honest-to-god creative talent than it is to find some dude that looks identical to a description from a book. Thank god HBO is casting this series and not (some of) the fans. Hopefully they have the good sense to cast for ACTORS who can bring parts to life, not stand-ins who only look the part.

I'm sure there are going to be some much larger changes and deviations from the original text. So, if "not the right kind of fat" is that big of a deal, you're in for a lot of teeth-gnashing.

Hey, anyone know what's infinitely more important that a few inches of height, being exactly the right age to the month and having the "correct fat build?"

Actual fucking acting talent. The ability to talk about a fantasy world and make it seem realistic, lived in and emotionally true. the ability to work with the other actors to create the illusion of family, or rivalry or even being someone's ruler. Wit. Charm. Presence.

It's much harder to come by honest-to-god creative talent than it is to find some dude that looks identical to a description from a book. Thank god HBO is casting this series and not (some of) the fans. Hopefully they have the good sense to cast for ACTORS who can bring parts to life, not stand-ins who only look the part.

I'm sure there are going to be some much larger changes and deviations from the original text. So, if "not the right kind of fat" is that big of a deal, you're in for a lot of teeth-gnashing.

Bullcrap!

If they don't actually get a real mentally retarded giant to play Hodor then this series is over before it even began. IT WILL BE DEAD TO ME!!

Ya know, speaking of Mickey Rourke, it brought to mind someone else who might be semi-afforable.

I wouldn't mind seeing Rutger Hauer in the series for whatever part he could play.

Navarre for Mormont! :bow:

This.

Not to shame myself, or to suggest that it's comparable, but this happens before every Harry Potter movie when they announce whatever actors are playing whateverthehell characters introduced in that book. People see a photo of an actor (usually from a non-fantasy former movie) and throw a fit like children. At least in their case, many of the fans ARE children and can be excused for it. I looked at some of the casting choices skeptically but found them to usually be pretty damn good afterward.

Yes, it's important for Gregor to be big and Tyrion to be small and Cersei to be relatively pretty if not blonde (they can dye her hair anyway). But acting ability is so much more important. If Tywin doesn't look exactly like he should but you watch him and he feels like Tywin, that's what matters. Not whether or not they make his armor look exactly like it does in the book (I hope they deviate from the book's clothing and armor a bit. Can you imagine what Littlefinger will look like if they don't? Or Loras? Good god).

To embarrass myself once again, I went to the latest HP movie at midnight with some people who could just not shut up afterward about every little thing that was changed/left out. I have to wonder why they even wanted to go at all, they clearly did not enjoy themselves one bit. People like that will never be happy with the series, no matter what.

I was hoping that the actor who plays Renly would play Robert in flashbacks, just as the actor who plays Joffrey will play Jaime in flashbacks.

In any case, I trust Dan & Dave with this. So far, they've showed us that they can do it perfectly, and moaning about Mark Addy not looking exactly perfect is just nitpicking.

This is brilliant in its simplicity! It is not only furthers one of the more important elements of aSoFaI (familial resemblences) but it is cost effective!!! :D

Archived