Cast of Game of Thrones: Sean Bean confirmed

NoSpeakEnglish

I'd like Philip Winchester as Jaime, I can totally see him in the window scene..... Dye his hair blond and he's what I saw as the Kingslayer. He's a very good actor and has the physical heft to play the character, it would be interesting to have him in more than flashback segments.

Thanks for the response! :D

I mentioned Winchester for a young Ned b/c he bears some resemblence to Sean Bean. The nose knows!

It just struck me that the age of Cersei is driven by the age of Jaime. If the war was 18 years ago and since Jaime killed the king, then at best he is 35. It might mention his age in the script? I presume they realised that logic.

I purchased many of the casting sides being distributed by Showfax. Cercei's age is given as 32, which of course makes Jaime the same age.

You guys are getting way too specific about the ages. I think the HBO series will be best served to mention actual ages in the dialogue as little as possible. Yes, WE know what their ages are, but for the TV audience, the simpler approach is the better.

Besides, book ages <> tv series ages. Throw the book ages out. I'm not even sure the ages given in the script were intended as HBO series canon, maybe just a casting guideline for looks (I'd expect Ned to look older than he actually is, book-Ned or tv-Ned).

You guys are getting way too specific about the ages. I think the HBO series will be best served to mention actual ages in the dialogue as little as possible. Yes, WE know what their ages are, but for the TV audience, the simpler approach is the better.

I know. But looks like the TV show will run into some logic issues if Jaime is aged 32, which is effectively his age in the books.

Always wandered why they didn't age everyone 2 to 3 years, rather than some characters. Maybe they will yet of course.

And fair point that the script may just be indicative ages rather than canon.

The way I'm thinking about the visuals is to put them into one of three categories at the moment.

Category A: Vital to the plotline. Won't make sense if it's changed from the books.

An example of this would be the golden hair of the Lannister/Baratheon children. If that is changed, that changes the whole 'Ned finding out about the incest plotline'. It's essential to the story that those kids have that trait. Can't be changed.

Per your example, Robert's appearance and physical traits would be just as important and deserving of category A, b/c they are almost the exact opposite to the Lannister traits_a very necessary part of the incest plotline. Plus all the bastards have to have Robert's bushy black hair. And while the Lannisters resemble one another, even the twins do not look like clones of one another_Renly looks almost EXACTLY like a young Robert. Renly revels in this, its an important plot point imo.

Category B: Important because it informs certain things about the story, but not 100% vital.

I'd put something like the Stark children having Catelyn's 'easy smile and fire in their hair', being beautiful like the Tullys, except for Arya who is plainer and looks like Ned into this category. It helps to show visually why Arya is the odd one out in the family, why she acts as she does, and why she is close to Jon. It doesn't change a plotline, but it helps to make sense of certain aspects of the plot.

Agreed

Category C: Flavour. Wonderful stuff that Martin uses to give us fabulous visuals in the book, but in reality, has little or no impact on the plot or character. The vast majority of the non-fan audience won't even suspect that it's different in the books.

I'd put Robert's height in here. People followed Robert because he had the bloodline, and because of his charisma, not because of his build. Renly has the same charisma. Stannis doesn't. Yes, for us rabid fans, it would be great for Robert to be the giant bear of a man that he is in the books, but it doesn't actually change anything if he isn't. If Addy can pull off the charisma, then that's the really important thing.

If they change Category A stuff, it's worth getting up in arms about. If they change Category B stuff, it's worth being irritated and pissed off about. If they change Category C stuff, IMO, it's not really worth more than a shrug and a "Well, it would have been nice, but the essential part is still there".

I think that;'s the easiest way to approach it so as not to end up too disappointed, because a ton of Category C stuff will get changed.

Again, I am not insisting that Robert be a certain height, but I do believe his physical appearance is part and parcel of his charisma and intimidation, which is important to the storyline (the Usurper is larger than life, literally). I wholeheartedly agree, not everything will match with the book or our own personal interpretation. Just to set the record straight, not lamenting anything at all, just talking about one of my favorite fantasy books is all. Getting to see it on the screen, albeit small, is gonna be a blast!

My first post on this forum :)

Just wanted to say I'm delighted that Bean was cast as Ned, as he will give the role some gravitas as well as tempt over overwise uninterested viewers. I also think that Addy will be a good Robert (guys, as others have said, size is easy to deal with and loads of actors put on muscle for roles when need be, incase you can't see Addy as a former warrior) and the unknowns for Viserys, Jon and Joff seem to be good choices too, though only time will tell!

Per your example, Robert's appearance and physical traits would be just as important and deserving of category A, b/c they are almost the exact opposite to the Lannister traits_a very necessary part of the incest plotline.

Yes. Robert must have dark hair but that's not a difficult thing to arrange. :) And he'll be "large". That's all that is important. I think Renly's physicial similarity with Robert will be downplayed. Its not necessary as being charismatic and Robert's brother is all he needs

Except if the casting people were amazingly lucky and found somebody that looks very like a young Addy.

Yes. Robert must have dark hair but that's not a difficult thing to arrange. :) And he'll be "large". That's all that is important. I think Renly's physicial similarity with Robert will be downplayed. Its not necessary as being charismatic and Robert's brother is all he needs

Except if the casting people were amazingly lucky and found somebody that looks very like a young Addy.

Not sure finding someone who looks like a young Addy is what I would call good luck. :D Lets not mix up young Robert w/young Addy. :)

The older Robert is almost unrecognizable, so I have no problem w/Addy as the mature Robert Baratheon. It is the young Robert (who should also play Renly IMO) that I am concerned about.

You can gain or lose as much weight as you want, but you can't change the shape of your skull and jaw. Addy was never classically handsome and never will be, it is one of my issues with his casting. If you're going to stick to the books, Renly should bear as least a passing resemblance. Stannis will already look different enough that it will become questionable that these guys are brothers at all if Renly looks nothing like either. (it is very very rare for one brother to go bald prematurely while the others keep their hair)

I was thinking - obviously Ned and Robert are the characters who look like they're going to be major in the pilot, but as we all know, they aren't going to be alive for the whole series. I would guess that out of 12 episodes, Robert would die around number 7, and Ned in 9-ish. In other words, Sean Bean and Mark Addy have only signed on for a maximum of six months or so. Kit Harrington and Peter Dinklage may well be signed up for (a maximum of) seven years. It's a big commitment to make in an actor's career, that.

Archived