Why exercise wont make you thin

IheartTesla

Yes if you drink fruit juice it will cause you no end of problems...

At the end of the day I've never seen anyone who got fat from eating too many apples.

agreed on the juice--I think fruit juice is way bad, and I don't drink it at all. (I'm of the camp that drinks mostly water, except for the occasional treat of coffee or alcohol. but mostly water). But the pears that I eat every day were not the reason I gained weight in the past. and they are just fine with me maintaining my weight now.

Really I hate statements like these. Since it really makes no sense what-so-ever. There are 24 hours in a day, period. That makes it very finite the amount of time you can allocate to each activity. Which is why whenever it comes out that you need to be more active, while at the same time you need more sleep, it never really takes root. But somehow I can magically find time for things. Here is my currant day routine, you find the extra hours in there:

Work: 10 hrs/day

Driving: 2 hrs/day

Cooking+Cleaning: 1.5 hrs/day

Bathing: .5 hrs/day

Studying: 1 hr/day

Sex: .5 hr/day (If self control is a muscle, good sex is like a rest day)

Gym: .75 hr/day

Dinner: .5 hr/day (TV off talking with my fiance while eating something we cooked together)

Sleep: 7 hrs (which is why I am chronically sleep deprived)

This is why I think I am sort of healthy. I live in an Urban setting next to my work, food sources, and entertainment on purpose. My co-workers are always like, you're nutty isnt it dangerous where you live? Not for me it isn't. I walk everywhere and have tons of free time in my day to blow off stress and exercise.

In some ways this is an American problem, maybe the UK too, where comuting has taken over life and our urban planning is wack. I have seen several studies that point out correlation to the physical area in which people live and their rates of obesity.

The Work day thing is American too. If I work 10 hours a day then I only work 4 days a week, I'm guessing that's not true for you. That sucks. Long work days are bad for our health, especially if they are not physical, or are too physical, you just can't win.

The one thing about your schedule that is better than mine is the time alotted for sex, nice! :thumbsup:

The fruit juice argument makes no sense, unless you're drinking the stuff they pretend is fruit juice but is really only 10% fruit juice or some such. That I can understand.

But come on. Fruit is bad? Fruit juice is bad? Most fruit in its natural state isn't even that sweet!

It's bullshit like that that helps me solidify my position that diet and exercise are crap. That's not everything, but it's certainly in there.

I'm assuming it's a distinction between white refined sugar that is added to other foods as opposed to natural sugars that come directly from whole foods like fruit.

The only thing I know for sure related to refined sugars being so bad is that they don't fill you up, so you eat more withour realizing it. I get that eating fruit is better than sugar thing, I mean, fruit isn't sugar; it's sugar, fiber, water, vitamins, ect. I was just wondering what the deal is with this one sugar. It's not glycemic index, or calories.

The fruit juice argument makes no sense, unless you're drinking the stuff they pretend is fruit juice but is really only 10% fruit juice or some such. That I can understand.

But come on. Fruit is bad? Fruit juice is bad? Most fruit in its natural state isn't even that sweet!

It's bullshit like that that helps me solidify my position that diet and exercise are crap. That's not everything, but it's certainly in there.

Fruit juice and fruit is its natural state are in no way the same thing.

When you hear the manufacturer of a fruit juice boasting about how many oranges or whatever goes into a carton of their fruit juice that should clue you in. Its basically massively concentrating the problematic parts of the fruit, the sugars.

To get the calorific content that a pint of orange juice would give you you'd have to eat a LOT of oranges. And people don't tend to do that do they?

I'm now seeing why you have had little to no success. You clearly don't have the info you require.

My dad was like that. Guzzling orange juice because he thought "its natural, it must be good for you". I had to point out that calorie wise, it was no better than coke.

It's very bad, even the real stuff. Some 100% natural fruit juices have more sugar than pop (which has high fructose corn syrup in it). Carnberry juice has 50% more sugar than Coke. Whoile fruit is good for you becase it is more than just sugar, but thats all juice is, nothing really good for you about it. Sorry, this is a common misconception.

Maybe you should try reading the ingredients and nutritional information on a bottle of fruit juice before reflexively rejecting the testimony of people who have done more research than you have.

If everything we are saying is bullshit, there seems to be little point to your continued participation in this thread.

Fruit isn't bad, the caution comes in that even though it is natural, fruit still has a lot of sugars in it and overdoing fruit (like anything else) can negatively impact attempts to reduce body fat, reduce weight, etc.

As far as diet and exercise being crap...well, that's just a purely uninformed position. If you said that the fad diets and exercises are crap, sure - that would be true IMO.

Most people don't. Watching what you eat and counting calories is all about understanding what you put into your body.

I've just converted all my losses and weights from KG to pounds. 253 to 180. Not over 100 pounds - but still a very respectable 75ish pounds lost in a year by only counting calories and limiting fats/protiens and later on cutting sugar completely.

As someone who was obese and lost so much weight only by counting calories and taking a bit of interest in what I put into my body I'll expand on the 'Fat people are lazy stereotype'

Fat people are either lazy or ignorant about nutrition - probably a combination of the two. (I dont need anyone going No shit sherlock after me )

You're just wrong. Other people have already said why.

I know why they say what they say. It's just stupid.

I don't drink a lot of fruit juice. When I do, I usually add water to it. I drink even less soda. At work I drink mostly water and tea.

If it were as simple as diet and exercise, we'd see a lot more thinner people. There must be another part to the equation.

What's this crap about proper diet and exercise not making your healthier or thinner? If it isn't and you're not on hormone altering drugs (like birth control), then you're most likely doing it wrong. I see plenty of people who start to become more active, but then complain about not losing weight. These same people also start to eat more or still eat like crap. These people also expect to see dramatic results within the first two weeks. That's probably not going to happen. In fact, you might even initially gain some weight from gaining muscle mass. It's okay. Keep it up and you will see and feel results.

Honestly, I hate working out. I think it's boring as shit and I get impatient. What I hate more than working out is working out in front of people, so I despise the gym. But guess what? I go anyway. Some things kinda suck, but it's still important that you do it. It's called being an adult. I hate paying taxes and the bills, but I see how they're important so I do it on time every time because I'm an adult. Be responsible to yourself and keep yourself healthy. Being fat is not healthy. No ifs, ands or buts.

-----------

Edited for grammar.

Yes

I don't drink a lot of fruit juice. When I do, I usually add water to it. I drink even less soda. At work I drink mostly water and tea.

If it were as simple as diet and exercise, we'd see a lot more thinner people. There must be another part to the equation.

Your determination to be ignorant and helpless is impressive.

All of us people who can personally testify to smart diets and regular exercise working really just got secret liposuctions under cover of night.

No we wouldn't, because people aren't exercising.

http://www.forbes.com/2007/10/28/health-se...1029health.html

In Memphis people watch an average of nearly 6 hours TV a DAY for god's sake.

What? The majority of people live sedentary lifestyles and have a poor diet, those that don't are generally not fat. That seems like a pretty obvious equation to me.

Look I don't really care whether you choose to watch your diet or exercise, I think whatever you choose to do is fine but arguing that a good diet and exercise doesn't lead to a healthier lifestyle is just wrong.

What I have learned since being found diabetic astounded me in regards to how ignorant I was in regards to nutrition beforehand.

What Dante said about reading the nutrition labels on food or juice is good, but the plain fact is most people don't know to read it.

The key is the SERVING SIZE and the SERVINGS PER CONTAINER.

Then read down to the pertinant ingrediants and how much is contained in each SERVING.

Since we are talking about weight loss ( or gain ), the two that matter the most are FAT and CARBS. ( all carbs break down in to sugar in your body, so a nutrion label with high carbs per serving is bad, even if the SUGAR listing seems very low.)

ok, lets take a 32 oz bottle of orange juice. The key again is the serving size. The label will prolly say there are eight (8) servings per container. so when you read the label and it say the total carbs are like 30grams. thats per GLASS. If you sit back and slurp down half a bottle at breakfast, thats 120 grams of sugar at that one sitting. Very unhealthy, even for a non-diabetic.

Look at the labels, do the math and you will prolly find out you are ingest a LOT more sugar ( carbs and direct) than you realize in your diet. Diet and exercise aren't crap. Not having a clue about what you are actually putting in your body is.

Didnt want to hijack the exercise thread with this article, and that is meant for encouragement anyways. So, with those disclaimers out of the way, has anyone perused this article? The money quote seems to be:

I'll admit, its hard to keep a calorie count of how much you have burnt and how much to splurge afterwards. It could also be that this is classic Time scaremongering based on a few studies that show some contrarian results. This study they cite basically didnt find much difference between the control groups and the ones that exercised strenuously.

Eat first, then exercise. I haven't read the article, but I'll bet that the strenuous exercisers aren't eating enough protein, which is needed to gain muscle. The more muscle you have, the more efficiently your body burns calories.

This is a somewhat reductionist reading of the whole thing, but I get confused by claims that diet dont work, and now that increased exercise only leads to compensation in terms of overeating, so perhaps strenuous exercise doesnt work either. The answer according to the article is increasing your basal metabolism (I think) :

Strenuous, vigorous exercise doesn't burn fat. It burns sugar and glycogen. That's why the exercisers are hungry. They've burned up all their stores of carbs (glycogen). Anyone who's ever had glycogen depletion knows that you're literally starving. You can't get enough to eat until your body builds its stores back up again. (And it's only after your body goes through its glucose and glycogen stores that you start to burn fat.)

More moderate exercise--and it doesn't take much!--will help tone and build muscle. Both make you look slimmer even if you don't lose a pound.

What I have learned since being found diabetic astounded me in regards to how ignorant I was in regards to nutrition beforehand.

What Dante said about reading the nutrition labels on food or juice is good, but the plain fact is most people don't know to read it.

The key is the SERVING SIZE and the SERVINGS PER CONTAINER.

Then read down to the pertinant ingrediants and how much is contained in each SERVING.

Since we are talking about weight loss ( or gain ), the two that matter the most are FAT and CARBS. ( all carbs break down in to sugar in your body, so a nutrion label with high carbs per serving is bad, even if the SUGAR listing seems very low.)

ok, lets take a 32 oz bottle of orange juice. The key again is the serving size. The label will prolly say there are eight (8) servings per container. so when you read the label and it say the total carbs are like 30grams. thats per GLASS. If you sit back and slurp down half a bottle at breakfast, thats 120 grams of sugar at that one sitting. Very unhealthy, even for a non-diabetic.

Look at the labels, do the math and you will prolly find out you are ingest a LOT more sugar ( carbs and direct) than you realize in your diet. Diet and exercise aren't crap. Not having a clue about what you are actually putting in your body is.

Not all fat is bad. Not all carbs are bad. The types of fat and carbs are just as important. The Mediterranean diet works because at the bottom of its pyramid is physical activity. And look at the amount of fat--we need fat to function, that's all there is to it. Our hormones are fat-based, and some of our macronutrients (A,D,E, and K) can't be absorbed without it. You want the polyunsaturated fats and the monounsaturated fats. As far as the carbs go, just cut out the junk food. Sugar is fine in moderate amounts--it's a hell of a lot better for you than the sugar substitutes unless you're a diabetic.

Speaking of the sugar substitutes, there was a study released a couple of weeks ago that said that they cause hunger. They add nothing to a diet whatsoever. We've known that for years, but it's nice to see something that actually backs it up.

Not all fat is bad. Not all carbs are bad. The types of fat and carbs are just as important. The Mediterranean diet works because at the bottom of its pyramid is physical activity. And look at the amount of fat--we need fat to function, that's all there is to it. Our hormones are fat-based, and some of our macronutrients (A,D,E, and K) can't be absorbed without it. You want the polyunsaturated fats and the monounsaturated fats. As far as the carbs go, just cut out the junk food. Sugar is fine in moderate amounts--it's a hell of a lot better for you than the sugar substitutes unless you're a diabetic.

Speaking of the sugar substitutes, there was a study released a couple of weeks ago that said that they cause hunger. They add nothing to a diet whatsoever. We've known that for years, but it's nice to see something that actually backs it up.

Yes, maybe my point wasn't clear but your body has to have both carbs and fat to function. My point is that most people have no idea how much they ingest of either and don't know how to read the nutrition label to find out if they are curious.

Moderation is the key ( as in most things. lol) Even tho diabetic, I can very occasionally splurge on something like a piece of lemon cream pie. ( ok a real small piece), I know the carb count and adjust that with what else I eat in that meal. What Americans esp. need is more basic information about what they are eating and what it contains.

The argument about juice, all diabetics know or should know that if you are getting hypoglicemic ( blood sugar drops too low, a side effect of your meds sometimes ) the old chesnut about eating a chocolate bar is the worst advice possible Drink a glass of juice, Super high in sugar and goes right to the bloodstream. A glass of orange juice contains much more sugar than a orange. That's why it can be bad for you.

Archived