Why exercise wont make you thin

IheartTesla

Really I hate statements like these. Since it really makes no sense what-so-ever. There are 24 hours in a day, period. That makes it very finite the amount of time you can allocate to each activity. Which is why whenever it comes out that you need to be more active, while at the same time you need more sleep, it never really takes root. But somehow I can magically find time for things. Here is my currant day routine, you find the extra hours in there:

Work: 10 hrs/day

Driving: 2 hrs/day

Cooking+Cleaning: 1.5 hrs/day

Bathing: .5 hrs/day

Studying: 1 hr/day

Sex: .5 hr/day (If self control is a muscle, good sex is like a rest day)

Gym: .75 hr/day

Dinner: .5 hr/day (TV off talking with my fiance while eating something we cooked together)

Sleep: 7 hrs (which is why I am chronically sleep deprived)

I hate you too. Why would anyone love going to the gym? Other then the occasional bit of eye candy, the gym is offensive to all five senses. All the equipment is ugly, the sounds of people excersising is pretty disgusting, the smell is terrible, the cold metallic feel of a wieght or the rubbery surface of a treadmill are not pleasent and the water from the fountains is tepid and metallic. I much prefer when the weather is pleasent and I can get my work-outs outside where it is not a human hampster wheel.

There is no eye candy at my gym. Think I have seen 3 females total. I lift weights. I like to get stronger. Its a good feeling. If I didn't like it I wouldn't do it.

Really I hate statements like these. Since it really makes no sense what-so-ever. There are 24 hours in a day, period. That makes it very finite the amount of time you can allocate to each activity. Which is why whenever it comes out that you need to be more active, while at the same time you need more sleep, it never really takes root. But somehow I can magically find time for things. Here is my currant day routine, you find the extra hours in there:

Work: 10 hrs/day

Driving: 2 hrs/day

Cooking+Cleaning: 1.5 hrs/day

Bathing: .5 hrs/day

Studying: 1 hr/day

Sex: .5 hr/day (If self control is a muscle, good sex is like a rest day)

Gym: .75 hr/day

Dinner: .5 hr/day (TV off talking with my fiance while eating something we cooked together)

Sleep: 7 hrs (which is why I am chronically sleep deprived)

Firstly I'd say that if you are chronically sleep deprived on 7 hours a night there might be something wrong with you. You should be easily able to function on 7 hours sleep.

Secondly you're clearly an extreme example. Not that many people spend 12 hours a day as a combination of being at work and getting to work.

Thirdly not everyone studies at the same time as working.

Fourthly you're already getting 45 mins at the gym so what's the problem?

I hate you too. Why would anyone love going to the gym? Other then the occasional bit of eye candy, the gym is offensive to all five senses. All the equipment is ugly, the sounds of people excersising is pretty disgusting, the smell is terrible, the cold metallic feel of a wieght or the rubbery surface of a treadmill are not pleasent and the water from the fountains is tepid and metallic. I much prefer when the weather is pleasent and I can get my work-outs outside where it is not a human hampster wheel.

You seem to be going to the wrong gyms.

There is no eye candy at my gym. Think I have seen 3 females total. I lift weights. I like to get stronger. Its a good feeling. If I didn't like it I wouldn't do it.

There's plenty at mine. Thankfully they stick to the cardio area and don't tend to enter the free weights room.

The human body only has so much blood after all.

We had some discussion about this earlier, in a thread about Gary Taubes' book Good Calories, Bad Calories The scientific evidence, as far as I can tell, doesn't really back the idea of exercise as an effective tool of weight control (here's one review of medical literature that is supposed to be particularly well-cited). There is no doubt that fat people exercise less; this does not mean that exercise is a good way to lose fat and keep it off. When the choice is to eat one burger less, or run 10 kilometers, there is little doubt which is easier, at least from the viewpoint of pure convenience and caloric balance.

I don't have much belief in just increasing energy expenditure, but specific types of exercise that have hormonal effects might be quite different. I don't know to what extent exercise as a method of weight control has been studied from that viewpoint.

I also love the gym.

And any and everyone can find time to work out. when people make lists like that all I read is "Blahblahblahexcuseswhiningblahblah"

But, but... that cold metallic feel..... its awful

Why oh why can't they make dumbells out of wool?

I agree. BTW, good job on your weight loss.

For me, I do not wish to be a size 2, but I want to be healthy and active. I made a decision to lead a more active life and I feel better because of it. Exercising and eating healthy is not just about being physically healthy, it also helps me mentally. I suffer from depression and being healthy helps tremendously.

Same here. I am not a small person, and while I still want to lose another 35 pounds, my goal is to be a size 12 (again, on my build, this IS thinish)

It is not unhealthy to want to prevent diabeates when both grandmothers had it; to reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer. It does not hurt you or those around you IF you do it properly.

Even at 230, I was "healthy" No heart problems, cholesteral ok as well as all the other tests they did. But age is also a factor and while at 40, a person my still be "healthy" and be obease, carrying that weight as you age will increase your risks factors greatly.

Diet and exercise together DO WORK. They can work for anyone. I have lost a total of 45 pounds, 30 of those just since mid April.

That does not make actually going and being at the gym any more pleasent.

Firstly I'd say that if you are chronically sleep deprived on 7 hours a night there might be something wrong with you. You should be easily able to function on 7 hours sleep.

Fourthly you're already getting 45 mins at the gym so what's the problem?

Really I need somewhere around 8.5, and sleeping 7 hours is more like sleeping 6.5 since getting to sleep is always a pain. But in any regards, thats why I have to get to the gym daily, it actually allows me to operate somewhat normally on less sleep. But I just hate the suggestion that there are these extra hours ready to be put to better use. Eventually you run out. Everyone has to make priorities in what they can find time for, the suggestion that the reason some-one does not have time for going to gym is due to inactivity is a false dicotomy. There are plenty of things that you sometimes have to say are more important or you will get greater enjoyment from your life if you do them instead.

"Blahblahblahexcuseswhiningblahblah"

Hey, I like making excuses and whining. It makes getting up at 4 am easier.

But, but... that cold metallic feel..... its awful

Why oh why can't they make dumbells out of wool?

I lol'd.

That does not make actually going and being at the gym any more pleasent.

I like being there. I like squatting, I like deadlifting, I like shoulder pressing etc etc.

*joins the 'I actually like the gym' crowd*

Yes, there are seedy and smelly and badly equipped and also horribly overpriced gyms. If that sounds like yours, find one you like. I managed, and I am not the very model of a modern socially apt person at all.

Also, I watch tv for eye candy. I go to the gym to exercise and feel great. Or maybe that's just me. *shrugs*

That said, I know that the gym isn't for everyone. That is why there are sports clubs and dancing classes and roads/woods for running and other things to exercise if you don't like gyms.

You also learn to ignore the looks, by the way. It is hard walking into the weight-lifting section with some confidence if you are scrawny and everyone else is aiming at bodybuilder. But you'll get there.

Really I need somewhere around 8.5, and sleeping 7 hours is more like sleeping 6.5 since getting to sleep is always a pain. But in any regards, thats why I have to get to the gym daily, it actually allows me to operate somewhat normally on less sleep.

Really? That's weird. For me, it's precisely the opposite: The one thing I really hate about going to the gym is that it makes me need much more sleep.

*joins the 'I actually like the gym' crowd*

Maybe it is just me. I like leaving the gym, I like the post work out feeling, but the actual work out, not so much. But hey more power to you if you do.

Really? That's weird. For me, it's precisely the opposite: The one thing I really hate about going to the gym is that it makes me need much more sleep.

Really, everyhting I have ever read is that you get better quality sleep when excercising regularly. :shrug:

What's this crap about proper diet and exercise not making your healthier or thinner? If it isn't and you're not on hormone altering drugs (like birth control), then you're most likely doing it wrong. I see plenty of people who start to become more active, but then complain about not losing weight. These same people also start to eat more or still eat like crap. These people also expect to see dramatic results within the first two weeks. That's probably not going to happen. In fact, you might even initially gain some weight from gaining muscle mass. It's okay. Keep it up and you will see and feel results.

Honestly, I hate working out. I think it's boring as shit and I get impatient. What I hate more than working out is working out in front of people, so I despise the gym. But guess what? I go anyway. Some things kinda suck, but it's still important that you do it. It's called being an adult. I hate paying taxes and the bills, but I see how they're important so I do it on time every time because I'm an adult. Be responsible to yourself and keep yourself healthy. Being fat is not healthy. No ifs, ands or buts.

-----------

Edited for grammar.

its not at all weird--there is a whole range of what people require for sleep. For some people its only 6 or 7 hours. For others its 8 or 9 hours. Just because you don't need 8.5 hours doesn't mean that its weird for someone else! just sayin'.

For me the gym is a pleasant alternative to dealing with grouchy NYers & trying to exercise out in a crowded city. I listen to music and while I'm on a cardio machine I can even read a mag, watch TV or occasionally read a book (I can only do that when using a bicycle). The people are relatively friendly at my gym, so why not? and count me as one of those that not only feels better physically when I exercise but mentally too.

off on a slight tangent, someone up thread said to eat healthy or lose weight that you should cut down or cut out all fruit? why in the world would I do that? I eat lots of veggies and fruits, and can do it while maintaining my weight. I've even lost weight while eating lots of fruits. its good, healthy, whole foods and much better than any processed crap.

I don't spend a lot of time cooking (because I don't love it and I like to not eat too late at night after working all day) but I still manage to eat super healthy with very little processed foods and as much organic foods as possible (availability & cost are issues here). And I eat good, *tasty* food. of course healthy food can taste great!

I'm going to agree with Minaku that eliminating sugar and flour is a far more effective weight loss tool than exercise is.

And exercise is like junk food. Meaning I don't eat junk food if I don't buy it (avoiding junk food at work is enough of a stress on my self control, sometimes its easy sometimes it is almost unendurable agony) and I don't exercise if I buy TV and internet. So at my apartment, my own for the first time, I have refused to purchase television or internet (and all the wireless networks in my apartment are secured, sneaky bastards that my neighbors are at not allowing me to leach their wifi) and my gym participation has become a great deal easier and I've gotten out of my apartment to 'explore' the neighborhood a whole lot more. I also keep several changes of gym clothes in my car so that I can go to the gym straight from work rather than having to go home and then go to the gym (adding the extra step makes it harder to get to the gym). Exercise invariably causes me to gain weight, some muscle, some fat. the only way I've been able to lose weight while exercising was when I stayed on a strict 1800-2000 calorie 40/40/20 diet (fat/protein/carbs) any more carbs than that and I won't lose weight, even if I drop the calories down to 1200 for a month. On the other hand, I lost more weight, more successfully when I was not exercising, not counting calories and just stopped eating any food with sugar or flour in it.

Personally, I want to see the results of busting my ass. If I have abs, I'm not showing them off, but when I see them in the mirror it's the reward for giving up things like white sugar and flour. They are evil.

Not to highlight your quote, lots of folks are ranting against white sugar and I get that it's got a high glycemic idex and is bad for you and all, but why white sugar?

I mean all sugar is high in glycemic index and bad for you if you have too much, why hate on just the white guy?

Am I missing something, like all other sugar is implied?

off on a slight tangent, someone up thread said to eat healthy or lose weight that you should cut down or cut out all fruit? why in the world would I do that? I eat lots of veggies and fruits, and can do it while maintaining my weight. I've even lost weight while eating lots of fruits. its good, healthy, whole foods and much better than any processed crap.

I've seen people say this before. I think Stego thinks that way.

Personally I don't agree. Yes if you drink fruit juice it will cause you no end of problems losing weight but not eating fruit in its natural state. Most fruits it'll be extremely hard to eat in enough quantities to make you fat as in their natural state their calorific content is way less. And you'd usually have stomach trouble long before you got fat.

Indeed the paleo diet (which many people use successfully) basically allows you to eat unlimited fruit (and veg) and you can still get very lean.

At the end of the day I've never seen anyone who got fat from eating too many apples.

Archived