The Queen has been cast.

Andhaira

I doubt that George is an expert on wax removal either; if we're on the right track then it'll probably just come up in one of the first Youtube searches of their name. Seems to be how he went about finding clues for some of the previous actors.

Again, I'm pretty sure the "Six Degrees" reference means a connection between George and the actress, not the actress and Kevin Bacon. In fact, it's basically impossible to read it any other way -- the "Six Degrees" game existed before some clever person decided to do a version focused on Bacon.

George has been in the background of a Beauty and the Beast episode, and wrote and acted as a script supervisor on that show, so either he literally means the connection point is an actor in that particular episode, or he's using it more broadly and it can be most anyone in the series. He's also done other work, and had a story of his adapted to a Hitchhiker episode, so again, using the broader definition, it could be anyone from there.

I agree, but unfortunately this makes the clue very difficult to use, except in retrospect. For example, look at the Doorways pilot that GRRM produced. Robert Knepper was in that, and so was Carrie-Ann Moss. Thus, anyone who has had a part in the Matrix (+ sequels), Prison Break, a number of Carnivale episodes etc. is linked to GRRM by just one link. There are so many possibilities!

I've been trying to think of movies and shows with Big Ben prominently featured in them to try and start making a connection that way. I tried the Prisoner "Chimes of Big Ben" episode, "Dr. Who," "The 39 Steps" remake from 1978 (Roy Dotrice's daughter is in it, btw), "V For Vendetta" (well, that's all of Parliament), even "Shanghai Knights." Nothing is presenting itself from those immediately to me. (I really thought I had it with the Prisoner episode - the character Nadine Gray plays in it really is a "stranger to Big Ben" in that one...but near as I can tell she doesn't have a daughter who's an actress now.)

Here's my completely off-the-wall and random and unlikely guess.

Naomi Watts.

She has no lines in common with Mr. Miyagi, but maybe she should.

Apparently, according to IMDB, she's into martial arts. She used to take part in judo championships, and now trains in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

If we were playing "Six Degrees," there would only be one link between us.

She was in a movie called Down with Ron Perlman, who was obviously in Beauty and the Beast which Martin produced.

Her mother and Big Ben are strangers.

Her mother is Welsh, rather than English.

I doubt very much that it's her, because she's almost certainly too big a star, but I guess the clues kind of fit?

**cross posted at WiC**

ok. so i had two ideas. "has no lines in common with mr. miyagi but maybe should." i am thinkng might refer to "paint the fence" which made me think of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. Anne Heche was in The Adventures of Huck Finn. Ron Perlman was also in Adv Of Huck Finn thus "one link between us" and Anne's mom is pretty famous in her own right (Nancy Heche) as some sort of psychotic "chritian" psychologist who tries to "de-gayify" people ... i cannot find how this relates to "a stranger with big ben" however so this is not a really good possibility. Plus Anne is currently busy with Hung.

My other thoughts were "no line in common with Mr Miyagi but should" might refer to the most famous line of "wax on wax off" which made me think of surfing movies. Blue Crush is the most famous surfing movie and starred Kate Bosworth. She is normally a blonde but too young for or Jamie probably. Plus I cannot find a "link" between Kate and George. And again I have no idea about "big ben".

I am hoping my thoughts might spur others to more correct paths of thinking ...

Along the lines of what Jacopo said, I haven't got anywhere with this thinking, but it may inspire someone else.

On the Mr Miyagi clue, I thought the actor cast as Cersei may have the same name as one of the female characters in the films featuring Mr Miyagi - ie had no lines in common but maybe should have. I got nowhere but as Jacopo said - maybe someone else can.

I'm still trying to find the Sophia Myles connections. It's closer to working...

1. She has no lines in common with Mr. Miyagi, but maybe she should.

Someone on GRRM's Not-A-Blog said Sophia was in a movie with Pat Morita though they didn't share any scenes together. No actual name of the movie (and I couldn't find it). This is still up in the air. Additionally, the "maybe she should" line is oddly said. I can't figure it.

2. If we were playing "Six Degrees," there would only be one link between us.

Sophia starred with Ron Pearlman in Outlander.

3. Her mother and Big Ben are strangers.

Sophia's parents names are Peter and Jane. Her father is a vicar, a priest in the Anglican Church who is in charge of a parish and receives a salary but not the tithes of the church. Her mother works in publishing. Sophia lived in Notting Hill until she was 11 and attended Fox Primary School. Her father was later relocated to Isleworth, a suburb west of London. This doesn't say whether or not Sophia's mom went to London with her husband. Other articles pretty much mention the same thing, with her father moving to a London suburb.

It'd ne nice to grab her for Cersei, but I just don't have enough facts.

For anyone who hasn't seen the Dr Who episode "The Girl in the Fireplace", it's worth seeing even if you're not a fan of the show. Excellent story and writing, and Sophia Myles is great in it as Madame de Pompadour (Louis XV's mistress). She's definitely not a Cersei-like character as far as the bitchiness/villainy goes, but she has the majesty/sexiness, and she comes across as a good enough actress to pull another sort of character off. I'd be very happy if she is cast.

problem is that indeed she is not a cersei like character :/ hope that's not it

problem is that indeed she is not a cersei like character ohwell.gif hope that's not it

Unbeknownst to the rest of us, actresses are apparently able to play only one kind of character. lol wut

Have a little faith in the woman's talents.

The problem I see is age. She's ten years younger than NCW, although he of course looks fairly young for 40.

Just doing some random googling and I came up with this (probably spurious) link between Sophia Myles and karate, from a review of the movie Thunderbirds:

Having said that, I have to admit that my three year old son was completely entertained, and that I had a great time during any scenes involving Sophia Myles as the luscious Lady Penelope, a karate-chopping, butt-kicking hottie with a pink outfit to match her pink flying car. Myles is a comic delight as well as a nice eyeful for any dad who gets dragged into this one.

If it's true that Myles was engaging in some karate in that movie, that might answer the "no lines in common with Mr. Miyagi but maybe should have" clue.

TBH, I don't really buy into this, but thought I would post anyway to keep the speculation going ;).

I've been trying to find some likely candidate who was in another movie or TV show with Pat Morita, but not the Karate Kid movies - you know, had lines with Morita but not Mayagi...

I suppose it could be someone who was a kid and did a spot on Happy Days, or something. Problem is, Pat Morita had 164 credits in his career, so it's kind of tough. I was hoping it was Carla Gugino (love her), but I don't think so. How she could work: Morita and Gugino were in "Center of of the World" together. One link between GRRM and Carla via Alan Blumenfeld. And finally Carla starred in "Night at the Museum" with (not so) Big Ben Stiller...though I don't know what that has to do with Carla's mom, unless it was something in the movie.

I'm still trying to find the Sophia Myles connections. It's closer to working...

I had never heart of Thunderbirds before this thread. However, there is

on Youtube! Look at Lady Penelope's driver in the opening sequence. Don't you think she maybe should have been saying "Wax on, wax off" to him!?

The connection may be shiny cars, not karate.

I will route for Tricia Helfer, as he would be my first choice, and seems as the best possible choice to play Cersei too...

Really dunno about this one

2. If we were playing "Six Degrees," there would only be one link between us.

Played No 6 in Battlestar Galactica, creating a link with just one human ?!

3. Her mother and Big Ben are strangers.

She is Canadian born, and She is of German, French, Swedish and Norwegian descent. Linked with so many nationalities, but no English descendant. Perhaps too far fetched, but still...

As an aside, the other thing to note about Sophia Myles is that quite a few boarders voted for her as Cersei over on the Casting Polls thread. Last time Smoldering Hound calculated the votes, she was performing quite well:

Tricia Helfer...........1-W 1-26 1-22

Diane Kruger............2-W 2-14 2-13 2-11 2-10 2-9 2-8 2-7-3 1-L 1-5-2

Sophie Myles............3-W 3-14 3-12 3-9-5 3-8 2-L 2-11-3 2-10 2-8-4 2-7 1-L 1-7 1-6

So if it is Sophia Myles, it will be yet another instance where Dave and Dan and the others involved in casting have been listening to the fans.

Tricia Helfer has no lines in common with Mr. Miyagi, but maybe she should - considering what some fans are

of...

Also, Richard Partlow, actor in Beauty and the Beast (damn this man can be linked to many actresses!), is a behind-the-scenes regular on Battlestar, so he surely knows Tricia. And there is an entire episode in BSG called Six Degrees of Seperation.

And her mother isn't British...

I don't really buy it myself, but the youtube clip was just too funny to withold...

Archived