Football thread 14

Jon AS

Worse than, really. That got a lot of press here late last week, it's a bit ridiculous. You should probably not be able to get away with kidney-punches.

Yeah, I thought she was worse than Materazzi. I just found it amusing how the French demonise the guy :P

Yeah, I thought she was worse than Materazzi. I just found it amusing how the French demonise the guy :P

To tell you the truth... so do I. Sure, the 2006 final is not a good memory, but I blame Zidane much more than Materazzi.

Come on, footballers hurl insults at each other constantly ! And Zidane should have had more sense than to answer by a headbutt. :unsure:

(and I'm still pretty sure that we would have won the game without this incident)

But Zidane as a god-like status in France, so people will absolve him of any sin, and, since someone has to take the blame... ;)

(by the way, Zidane was recently accused by former national team mate Jerome Rothen (in his autobiography) of having insulted him in a Champions League game - telling him "stand up, son of a b..." after having tackled him down - and everyone blamed... Rothen for bringing that up :P)

"Probably"? Pretty much everything that woman did in that clip was worthy of a straight red.

I thought the kidney-punch bit gave away that I was being facetious. Clearly a ridiculous display. She plays college ball for New Mexico and has been suspended indefinitely by the school.

And yeah, that was all one game. And was probably pretty entertaining from a sort of morbid point of view. Like watching eastern European national teams play water polo.

Just read that. What a shock, and a terrible loss. He was an outstanding player and someone I admired for his humility and good sense, none of that spoiled superstar attitude or crazy antics. He had his fair share of personal and professional setbacks, but outwardly always seemed like he had weathered them.

Further murmurings about the Old Firm duo joining the EPL, today. O'Neil wants it - no surprise there - but it was good to see Harry Redknapp back it, as well. And with Garstride leading the negotiations, I think there's a fairly good chance it may happen. When? Who knows. Interesting to hear former Birmingham chairman, David Gold, speaking on the subject today. He made some valid points in favour of the switch.

But anyone with half a brain, would know it'd only serve to strengthen the English top flight. Just a shame that Scottish football is on a downward spiral, with very little chance of rising. Regardless if it includes Celtic and Rangers or not, the EPL's league structure needs tweaked, and someone needs to look to an alternative plan for the second-tier of European clubs outside of the main three divisions in Europe. Again, with or without the Old Firm.

Further murmurings about the Old Firm duo joining the EPL, today. O'Neil wants it - no surprise there - but it was good to see Harry Redknapp back it, as well. And with Garstride leading the negotiations, I think there's a fairly good chance it may happen. When? Who knows. Interesting to hear former Birmingham chairman, David Gold, speaking on the subject today. He made some valid points in favour of the switch.

But anyone with half a brain, would know it'd only serve to strengthen the English top flight. Just a shame that Scottish football is on a downward spiral, with very little chance of rising. Regardless if it includes Celtic and Rangers or not, the EPL's league structure needs tweaked, and someone needs to look to an alternative plan for the second-tier of European clubs outside of the main three divisions in Europe. Again, with or without the Old Firm.

I don't think it'll happen. The SFA could probably take legal action if they try to do it. Then the FA would have to consider whether they want to be the ones dealing with all the baggage that Celtic and Rangers bring with them. I think the whole move to England or a North-Atlantic league is just a case of Rangers and Celtic thinking they're bigger than they really are; I mean are a team that couldn't even beat lowly Falkirk on Sunday good enough for the English Premier League?

After a few years the money coming in should bring them up to scratch - I'd imagine they'd make a high mid-table atm. Say, worse than Sunderland but better than Stoke.

Anyone, and I mean anyone, with any knowledge concerning the game knows that such heights would not satisfy our fans, owners or the other clubs in the league. We'd be at the level of Villa and Tottenham, as both managers know, in next to no time. One of the top teams in the league and a challenge for the best.

Not this 13 team relegation bullshit the likes of Sunderland/Stoke/etc perpetually find themselves in. If we were to just become another one of those teams, that only serve to make up the numbers, then there'd be no point in us joining the league. I mean, why be in the league, if you don't believe you can challenge for the title?

You lot will be grumbling if Celtic haven't won anything after two seasons. There will be complaints that the manager isn't 'Celtic-minded' and that the team don't play in the 'Celtic way'. This season's performances by the Old Firm have clearly shown that they are not good enough for England. It will take too long for them to reach a good enough standard to challenge for the title.

Sunderland are not in a relegation battle. Neither are Stoke.

And they would beat Celtic and Rangers atm. Particularly at home.

I think it's a terrible idea. They won't add anything to the league bar a novelty factor for the first game or two.

Anyone, and I mean anyone, with any knowledge concerning the game knows that such heights would not satisfy our fans, owners or the other clubs in the league.

What's that got to do with the price of fish? It's the level you're at right now. Yes, in a few years (next to no time might be getting ahead of yourselves) you'd be pushing regular Europe, but join next year and you'd be fighting to be in the top 10.

And like Fireball pointed out, neither Stoke nor Sunderland are relegation scrappers at this point.

And like Fireball pointed out, neither Stoke nor Sunderland are relegation scrappers at this point.

Come on, I think past seasons have shown how great the gap is between the teams playing for European football and the rest. The league is virtually split in two, as it is, in it's current make-up.

Archived