Looking Ahead - Can we please get a pilot screening?

stevelabny

I'm not sure what HBO's history of screening pilots to the public when a show is ready to air, but we all know a lot of networks love to have pre-release screenings at San Diego Comic Con every July.

I am presupposing a greenlight, and I'm of the opinion that with this big of a cast (both quantity and quality) and post-production lined up, that all systems are go barring a complete stinker or sudden reversal of opinion by HBO execs.

So if the pilot is filmed now, greenlit in Jan-Feb, filmed in late spring-early summer, it should be ready to air for Winter 2010-2011. October if they want to air them during new tv season, January or February if they want to go mid-season. November-December seem out to me because they'll want to air them without the holidays taking eyes away. I would guess that January 2011 is the most likely airdate, to take full advantage of a Winter is Coming ad campaign.

With that sort of date, San Diego con in July might be too early to get the buzz going, but NYC con in October seems like a nice fit. The NY con has just put up their request for panel and screenings, so I sent an email to them and to HBO to get this done.

A boy can dream can't he?

GRRM has actually said that he would not expect much if any promotion at SDCC if it was greenlit. Too early, so I suppose the NYCC idea is not bad. I don't believe HBO has ever done anything like that, however, though they did have a big True Blood panel at the past SDCC.

I'd hate that. I don't know why. I've never been to SDCC, but my mental image of it is loathesome. I would feel like the pilot was cheapened and stolen away from me if it was a big SDCC thing.

Mind you, my feelings are entirely irrational on this point. If said pilot screening happened elsewhere, such as in my immediate vicinity, I would be all over that.

Well, that's why I'm suggesting NYC con, cuz I live here. I'm opportunistic and out for myself like any good citizen of Westeros.

But seriously, the timing seems like a good fit. The NYC comic-con in 3 years has become the 2nd biggest yearly event in NYC, and unlike SD, its not flooded with tons of screenings for TV and movies. The NYC con has gotten a lot of book-publisher support because most publishing houses are based here.

George himself had a panel one of the years. And it was very highly attended for a non Marvel/DC/screening panel.

Its my dream, and I'm sticking to it :P

I'll start renting space out on my couch. Lugalirra, you get first dibs, but you will probably have to share the room with Yags and Stego. ;)

As for feasibility -- I believe there's an effort afloat to get a dedicated book track at NYCC, which would dovetail nicely with the HBO pilot, and NYCC does get a lot of the same coverage as SDCC does in the popular media. There aren't nearly as many attendees, IIRC -- which is both a pro and a con. Smaller annoying crowds, but fewer potential eyeballs for HBO.

Okay, stevelabny, you convinced me. I don't know much about NYCC, but if you say it is more book-friendly and less Hollywood-crazed, then I'm ready to go. I wonder, if we bombard them with emails will we have a better chance? :)

Xray, you're on. I'm down with the living-room-mates since I will bring ear plugs for the copious snoring and will try to come up with nerd topics to keep you and Mr X entertained through the wall all night long.

I'd be pretty happy if they kicked off GoT at NYCC...I've gone to 2 NYCC's the first and this past one in Feb (was it Feb or March?), it was great, got tons of free books and saw Joss Whedon (!!!!!)! So, yeah NYCC is different from SDCC which is more film and TV oriented, less publishing.

Do you know anything about the Big Apple Comic Con that's happening this weekend in NYC? I've never heard about it.

Do you know anything about the Big Apple Comic Con that's happening this weekend in NYC? I've never heard about it.

The Big Apple Con has been NY's smaller con for years and years. It used to be bi-monthly (and sometimes monthly?) at a church basement on the Upper West Side.

Its been at least a decade since I've been to one, but I still get the postcards every month. They were pretty much just a show floor with dealers, and a few D-list celebrities. Not much in the way of panels, or official Marvel/DC/Other representation to provide panels or freebies.

Now they were bought by Wizard, and while I've never been to a Wizard-convention in other cities, they have a reputation for being meh. A bit higher profile of guests than a little local show, but with all the downside of a big con's crowd.

Seeing as the Javitz show is moving from Feb 2009 to Oct 2010 and there's a big gap, Wizard is trying to take advantage of the situation by moving the con to Chelsea Piers and trying to hype it up and confuse people into thinking its the Javitz version.

I have some online acquaintances going so I check out the guest list a few weeks ago, but I wasn't impressed enough to bother to buy a ticket. I'm really happy with the way that NY Comic-Con has handled the Javitz shows, even with the disaster of the 1st year and the 2nd years panel area, they are getting bigger and better every year. So I might as well just keep using Ebay for discounted junk until the next Javitz con rolls around.

If Wizard thinks that NY will be able to hold TWO shows yearly, they may try to make this show big and memorable so they can keep doing it and this show may be worth attending. It probably depends what type of things you want out of a convention (panels, guests, dealer floor, freebies). Check their web page http://www.wizardworld.com/home-apple.html

Looks like they're not having panels, or companies (freebies) so I'm still gonna pass.

And now apparently the Big Apple Wizard-con has announced that they will be doing a 2010 show on the SAME WEEKEND as the New York City Comic Con at Javitz.

Way to split the fanbase and destroy things! I expect this will blow up in their face, and they'll change the date, but it is something to watch out for.

Well, that's why I'm suggesting NYC con, cuz I live here. I'm opportunistic and out for myself like any good citizen of Westeros.

But seriously, the timing seems like a good fit. The NYC comic-con in 3 years has become the 2nd biggest yearly event in NYC, and unlike SD, its not flooded with tons of screenings for TV and movies. The NYC con has gotten a lot of book-publisher support because most publishing houses are based here.

It might also help that HBO is based in NYC. I went to the premier of the HBO movie "Don King: Only In America," way back when which was held in NYC (awesome flick, btw, and afterward they treated everyone to dinner at 21 Club!), so I know they do (or at least did) their premiers in New York.

For HBO, an event at the NYCC could make a lot of sense for multiple reasons.

Given George's history with World Con (and the large number of BWB that attend every year), that might make the most sense, for developing a fan base. For press attention, yes NYCC or SDCC. But for fantasy fans, go World Con! :)

Too bad I probably won't be there...

Archived