American Politics XXII

Tormund Ukrainesbane

Could be because they pay more to developing countries through their tax bill?

Yes. Lazy journalism at its worst. In Europe we say how much our governments give to developing countries compared to the US. In the US, they say how much their private citizens give. Few seem to look at both sides of the coin.

Could be because they pay more to developing countries through their tax bill?

I'm sure that narrows the gap quite a bit. It would be interesting to see whether it erases it, however.

Americans get tax deductions on their charity donations, which might be a reason why they donate more.

I'm sure it helps. Is that a bad thing?

Apparently Europeans get some type of tax deduction for donations to charities within their individual countries.

http://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=6321

edit: few changes...

I think Tormund must have watched this John Stossel segment on charity.

Never seen it. Don't really watch much TV.

Yes. Lazy journalism at its worst. In Europe we say how much our governments give to developing countries compared to the US. In the US, they say how much their private citizens give. Few seem to look at both sides of the coin.

Part of the moral hazard of a welfare state. When the government gives, I don't feel like I have to. I feel that it does more for the giver to give directly than to consider their taxes some type of charity.

Oh well, not really wanting to start a US v everyone else debate, rather I thought it might inform the debate on US politics on such things as taxation and social services.

Part of the moral hazard of a welfare state. When the government gives, I don't feel like I have to. I feel that it does more for the giver to give directly than to consider their taxes some type of charity.

This ignores the question of efficiency. In most cases Government aid would be more efficient than random donations.

The exception being donation to major aid organisations, but they receive both private and government funding.

If the purpose of charity is to make you feel good, the US model is better than the European. If the purpose is to do good, the question is not as obvious.

Never seen it. Don't really watch much TV.

Oh well, not really wanting to start a US v everyone else debate, rather I thought it might inform the debate on US politics on such things as taxation and social services.

Yep, it tells me that we aren't "taxed to death" if the conservatives that complain the loudest are able to still make such large charitable contributions.

http://rawstory.com/2009/12/protesters-change-offices/

Arguing that the location of their local congressman's office infringes on their right to free speech, Tea Party protesters in Charlottesville, Virginia, have asked Democratic House Rep. Tom Perriello to relocate so they can protest him more easily.

those "charitable" contributions are encouraged by the state in the form of tax abatements. there's no altruism in the "generosity" of the rich, who furthermore get a whitewash because they can spend an equal amount of PR proclaiming their beneficence.

I think this whole issue is a lot more complicated than the simplistic "facts" on the site Tormund linked to. But I would like to point out that the tax deductions for charitable contributions certainly can't explain why poor people give a higher % of their income to charity than the rich do, on average.

The Mad Hatter's Tea Party, surely?

(On a side note, I do think it is hilarious that they've stumbled across the realisation that their beloved inalienable right to property can, in fact, negatively affect other rights. What makes it even funnier is that they consciously ignore this realisation, preferring to blame Pereillo for his choice of office location).

Archived