Football 16

Mme Erzulie

is anybody aware of any empiric evidence that shows that man utd get longer extra time when they are a goal down than other teams?

i'm sure i read somewhere that they concede far fewer penalties at home but that could easily be that the play is normally at the other end!

There has been research that shows the latter is the case for pretty much any 'big' team at home, even after controlling for amount of possession, etc. They also get more penalties in their favour, of course. In essence, the research concludes that referees are human and therefore likely to have their judgment influenced by 40,000 home fans screaming for/against a penalty. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the amount of extra time was vulnerable in the same way. But the point remains that it's not one particular club that benefits - it's any well-supported home side.

Back to Angola. Drama ensures as the players of Togo decided to play after-all to honour those killed in the attack. While the Togo PM demands that the team return home to Togo.

didn't fifa recently consider punishing a south american team, i think it was chile, for government intervention in the national FA? it would be bizarre if Fifa kicked them out for the Goverment intervening in this instance!

If Togo actually withdrew from the tournament on the behest of the government, and against the will of the Togo federation, I wouldn't be surprised if Togo was excluded from the next ACN and even World Cup qualifiers.

But more likely, the would exclude Togo from FIFA until the government promises not to interfere anymore. So they ought to be back in the fold before the next ACN qualifiers.

The point does have to be made that the 6 minutes in this case favoured Birmingham much more than Utd.

How does that work?

Don't both teams have to play the 6 minutes? I mean, given whatever criteria you have for determining that the 6 minutes favoured Birmingham, lets say in the dying seconds of the game, United manage to go up and nick a goal. Does the 6 added minutes still favour Birmingham more than United?

In other games, is Ferguson giving some sort of signal to the ref or 4th official to let them know whether added time will favour them or not this time?

With hell freezing over depriving us from much football news from England, we'll have to settle for African football. The latest on the Togo situation is that the sports minister have announced three days of national mourning and declared that no football will be played in this period. He have contacted CAF about having the Togo national team enter the ACN tournament once those three days of mourning is over. Whether this is logistically possible remain to be seen. For this to work, the first match against Ghana must be postponed, and somehow fitted in later on. The most logical solution would be on the 17th when Group D is playing their second round. This would mean that both teams will have to play 3 matches in n5 days.

After watching the first half of the opening match, I'll have to conclude that poor defending is still the bane of African football. So far Flávio have proved better than Kanouté at taking advantage of this, and Angola is rather surprisingly 2:0 up vs. Mali at half time.

When Angola went up to 4:0 with 15 minutes to go, I for some reason assumed that they would win this match as the display of Mali so far had been anything but impressive. But with two goals in added time, Mali actually managed to equalize. Eight goals in the opening match. If the defense display showed here is any indication of the standard on the other teams, we can look forward to a lot of goals in this tournament.

Mali were 4-0 down with 10 minutes to go, Keita scored 2, Kanoute scored 1 and another guy levelled it up in the 94th minute.

Manucho scored for Angola and so did Gilberto, the guy who was banned from the last World Cup and Flavio got 2.#

Some comeback.

We're almost as fast as African goals!

Yeah, I probably should have watched the whole of that game. I didn't see 1 Angolan goal.

Barca score fairly quick too. Messi and Puyol scored 2 in 2 minutes, they're 3 up at half time.

And Milan are 1 up against Juve, Nesta scored.

Archived