Brian Cox as Jeor Mormont

maxlongstreet

Pretty awesome. Of course, we're talking about Brian Cox, so... yeah.

Another sweet suggestion I read somewhere was Donald Sutherland. I think both could credibly pull off the fatherly/lordly gravitas of the Old Bear. With Cox being that much more hammy (and, by expansion, awesome), and Sutherland a bit more subdued. A man can dream.

Two strikes against Cox.

1) He's quite a big Hollywood actor these days. He probably would only be interested in GoT if it was for a very substantial, high-profile role or a brief one or two-episode cameo. Mormont doesn't really qualify for either.

2) He's being very heavily tipped to be playing a major role (possibly Thorin) in The Hobbit, which puts him out of commission for the next two years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If this was a movie, I'd agree on the shooting thing. However, each episode will be shot by itself by its own director (presumably including flying out to Morocco for Dany stuff and then back again) in its own filming block, which limits how much they can move stuff around.

But he's all wrong for Thorin!

He's absolutely entirely wrong!

Gah!

My childhood is flashing before my eyes!

All ruined!

Assuming it's possible, he'd make a great Bear.

But as Wert said, it isn't.

Really? While he may not be my first choice, I think he has the authority to play a good, gruff Thorin Oakenshield.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, that would rule so much.

Two strikes against Cox.

1) He's quite a big Hollywood actor these days. He probably would only be interested in GoT if it was for a very substantial, high-profile role or a brief one or two-episode cameo. Mormont doesn't really qualify for either.

He played a recurring role in another HBO production, Deadwood, and Kings. And he plays in a lot of somewhat obscure films like Red or Trick 'R Treat, and he does voice work too (including for video games). Honestly, I don't think he'd be opposed to do more TV at all. I think he'd be up for anything.

Him being too busy is a good strike against him, though.

To me, Cox is an absolutely perfect personification of the old bear, as well as being an incredible actor. I don't know if this one has been discussed, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Agreed, he is who I had in mind when I read the books. Plus . . . look at the av.

If this was a movie, I'd agree on the shooting thing. However, each episode will be shot by itself by its own director (presumably including flying out to Morocco for Dany stuff and then back again) in its own filming block, which limits how much they can move stuff around.

Who says it will be a different director for each episode? I seem to remember other HBO series that used the same director for every episode and the filming was NOT done by the episode, but rather by actor availability.Its one of the reasons why they take so long and have a season's worth of episodes in the can before the season airs. In fact, both Sean Bean and Brian Cox are used to that sort of thing. Bean and Cox were in the first series of Sharpe together. The the two episodes of the first series was shot simultaneously, not linear, and had the same director for all 16 episodes.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived