Exercise and Fitness (the 48kg remix)

Vestrit

nooo, I said leg press, not squat. That's why I specifically said leg press.

what I was trying to say was I don't know what someone with legs like that could do in terms of squats, but on the leg press I'm sure they could do 400 lbs for a few reps. This is assuming the 45 degree kind of leg press we have at my school gym.

Ah understood. I'm a recently converted squats and deadlifts zealot so I tend to harp.

Maybe you missed the first part of my post? Where I explained that I've seen it happen on multiple occasions?

Saw that. That part was OK.

Calling it stupid is the most succinct way to put it.

Also quite rude. And like I said not really an argument.

I don't get this passive-aggressive response that you made. I could have changed the word stupid to dangerous, and I bet that you would not have said a word.

That's fairly obvious. See above.

So please, just take the advice and don't fucking wear a ring.

Did you see up-thread where I agreed that it's a bad idea to wear a ring? Twice?

Please lets save some bandwidth and stop this internet slap-fight.

nooo, I said leg press, not squat. That's why I specifically said leg press.

what I was trying to say was I don't know what someone with legs like that could do in terms of squats, but on the leg press I'm sure they could do 400 lbs for a few reps. This is assuming the 45 degree kind of leg press we have at my school gym.

That's a pretty good estimate. Last time I used a leg press machine (the 45 degree type) I repped at 495lbs pretty comfortably, and I leg lifted more than 200lbs. I'd feel confident about leg pressing 400lbs now. But like a lot of ectomorphs, I can proportionately lift much more on the leg press than in the squat.

Soccer definitely works the quads, but I really should find a way to add the squats to the regime to improve my sprinting (explosive power) and for the overall workout it gives. There's a lot of coordinated muscle work to squat big weights. Unfortunately, as I posted sometime before, I've never been able to comfortably hold a weight above 200lbs across the back of my shoulders. Even so, some squatting would be beneficial.

...I've never been able to comfortably hold a weight above 200lbs across the back of my shoulders. Even so, some squatting would be beneficial.

First time I squatted I was basing it off of what I learned on the internet and I had no one to help me out. When I put the weight on my back I put it on that spine bone right below the neck instead of on my shoulder b/c I didn't know any better. Man did that suck. The next time I put it on my shoulders and it felt soooo much better.

What's a mesocycle? I tried googling it but there were a few different definitions which basically all just said 'a training period of varying time'

In periodization, training is divided to preplanned cycles with varying duration. The cycles are microcycle, mesocycle, macrocycle and sometimes Olympic cycle. Generally microcycle represents one week, mesocycle 4-6 weeks with macrocycle being the annual plan aiming to peak condition in the most important competition of the year. I think Olympic cycle is self-explanatory. Tudor Bompa's book about periodization is pretty much a must read for any serious coach.

In periodization, training is divided to preplanned cycles with varying duration. The cycles are microcycle, mesocycle, macrocycle and sometimes Olympic cycle. Generally microcycle represents one week, mesocycle 4-6 weeks with macrocycle being the annual plan aiming to peak condition in the most important competition of the year. I think Olympic cycle is self-explanatory. Tudor Bompa's book about periodization is pretty much a must read for any serious coach.

Nice, thanks for the explanation. The google search was rather fruitless.

Tonight's downside, I tried to biceps/triceps the day after chest/back. Terrrrrible idea, I was so sore I could barely move.

Have you tried front squats?

ETA: Most anti-climactic 1000th post ever. :cheers:

:lol:

Quite pleased about last night's workout. Four sets of 5 x full cleans and three sets of 5/5 x alternate dumbbell bench press, and then did three sets of 5 x 225lb squats. Again, not particularly strong in pure strength terms and I do feel I can up the load, but my 1RM is getting close to 1.5 x BW and I'm technically still in rehab for my knee. And they're proper squats too, the tops of my thighs as close to parallel with the ground as possible (not this 'bending your knees slightly' stuff I see guys with 315lb on the bar doing at my gym). Then some bentover rows and some push presses and some barbell rollouts. Managed to just clip my chin while doing a push press. A cm or an inch closer to me and that could have been a bit nasty

Unfortunately, as I posted sometime before, I've never been able to comfortably hold a weight above 200lbs across the back of my shoulders. Even so, some squatting would be beneficial.

Front squats have already been mentioned, but even with back squats, you can experiment with where you place the bar. I place it on top of my traps, which feels quite comfortable. If it doesn't work for you right now, it might work in a few weeks, when your traps are just a tiny bit bigger and provide better padding.

You could also try to do low bar squats, and move the bar down below your shoulders to rest on your posterior deltoids, on the little shelf you get by pushing your elbows as high up behind you as possible. Some people (including me) have difficulties with this for flexibility reasons, but it's worth trying.

:lol:

Quite pleased about last night's workout. Four sets of 5 x full cleans and three sets of 5/5 x alternate dumbbell bench press, and then did three sets of 5 x 225lb squats. Again, not particularly strong in pure strength terms and I do feel I can up the load, but my 1RM is getting close to 1.5 x BW and I'm technically still in rehab for my knee..

That's pretty impressive! At your rate of progress, you'll be catching up with me in no time. I fear you'll be lifting like a 48 kg girl long before I do.

I squatted 3x5x116 kg (258 lb) yesterday, and have reached the level where progress is no longer as fast and consistent. I only add 1 or 1.5 kg per workout now, and I occasionally miss a rep.

And they're proper squats too, the tops of my thighs as close to parallel with the ground as possible (not this 'bending your knees slightly' stuff I see guys with 315lb on the bar doing at my gym).

I always do full "ass to grass" squats, as otherwise I find it difficult to be sure whether I reach proper depth in all reps.

Then some bentover rows and some push presses and some barbell rollouts. Managed to just clip my chin while doing a push press. A cm or an inch closer to me and that could have been a bit nasty

Nice to know that I'm not the only one who does that. :)

I've been appallingly broke lately meaning I've been driving the cab a lot and eating fatty foods instead of working out like I should be. Consequently I've gained weight, and most of it fat. Ah well, I'm not going to beat myself up over it too much.

Yesterday I had a good workout though. After I dropped the bike off at the bike shop, carrying a 20 lb backpack, I ran over to my gym, lifted for an hour, and then ran home. total run was ~7 miles, and I maxed out on the bench at 245.

shitty part is that fixing the bike is going to cost $600, which I don't have, meaning I need to work more and more until I do. It's rideable, but it won't charge the battery, so anytime I want to go somewhere (assuming I'm not in the taxi) I have to slow charge and install my backup battery.

Lost my balance at the bottom of a squat today like an asshole... I felt kind of stupid after that, cause I tweaked my knee a little, but not enough for it to hurt for long, so I was able to finish the workout. Both deadlifts and squats felt good today.

Archived