The Wheel of Time

Migey

Chapter 7:

Major Events: Trollocs repelled by the badassitude of super-Aes Sedai powers, Warder wuxian swordplay, and the fury of Alsbet Luhhan and her frying pan. Yes, a large unarmored woman, brandishing a blunt cooking apparatus can apparently overcome inhumanly massive monsters geared in mail and armed with scythe-like swords. Everyone else requires sharp objects that don’t necessitate a 1.2 gigawat force to kill a creature that size, but not Alsbet. Fuck no. And equipped with a hammer, Haral is certain she’s capable of taking down whatever Trolloc she finds. Naysayers can bite it.

Interesting Points: RJ breaks point of view continuity a bit: “Rand gave him a disgusted look and turned away to stare into the fire….Bran al’Vere’s mouth tightened as he looked at Rand’s back, and the glare he directed at the gleeman would have given a bear pause, but Thom just waited expectantly as if he had not noticed it.” That is, unless Rand can actually observe what’s going on behind his back while gazing at a fire.

Also, to review the details that have been mentioned so far, and will play a part in future books: The One Power, the True Power, the Two Rivers, the Wisdom and Women’s Circle, the Mayor and Village Council, Sunday, Winternight, Bel Tine, stones, the Forsaken, Myrdraal, the Dark One, the Dragon, the Dragon Reborn, false Dragons, Logain and Gheldean, Tar Valon, Aes Sedai, Warders, Trollocs, the flame and the void, fireworks, the monetary system, gleemen and peddlers, Jain Farstrider, the five hundred years of peace between Carhien and the Aiel, Laman, the Aiel War, Carhien and the burning of the topless towers, the Dragonwall, the Tree of Life, the Age of Legends, Artur Hawkwing, the Green Man, Ogiers, Rand’s adoption, man roaming as brother to animals, the seal of the Dark One and its boring, the Time of Madness, the taint of saidin, Lews “Kinslayer” Therin, Darkfriends and the Dragon’s Fang. There’s probably more. That’s quite a bit though, for a hundred pages. And none of it really felt like exposition. Well done, RJ. Well done.

Review:

Another good chapter. I love that one of the first major action sequences took place off screen. When I was thirteen and reading this, I found it disappointing. I figured something would happen, but that we would see it, not the aftermath.

However, now I like it just as it occurred.

Another thing I like about this chapter is Nynaeve. It’s easy to forget that once upon a time there was an actual human being underneath all those layers of intolerable bitchiness Nynaeve grew. In fact, in book 12 when she stood up for Mat, and she displayed any gentleness and understanding around Rand, that really seemed out of character to me. I thought of it as an improvement, because I couldn’t stand Nynaeve **in character**, but I forgot that she used to be, ya know, not totally insufferable.

I still think that her improvement in book 12 is a change of character, because she did stop cease as a human being and become a pure, anthropomorphic manifestation of asshole…but for now, this chapter adds a lot to her.

I like that there’s the aspect of immaturity in her, and self-consciousness of it which ironically amplifies it as she tries to compensate for the sake of her important role in the local government, and her awareness that many look down on her because of her age. But at the same time, when push comes to shove, underneath that is someone who really cares and is trying to help people.

Elsewhere, Moiraine is awesome, which is only natural as she’s one of the most interesting characters in the series. Thom is awesome too. He and Bran produce some nice comedy to offset the moody tone of the situation. A good thing it works too, because otherwise the scene would have failed. It’s false desperation.

Anyone reading this book, with the expectations of the genre already calcified, would know that none of the characters already introduced had any chance of dying. No one would actually believe that Tam was in any real danger. So while the somberness is fitting for how the characters interact, it’s a bit inappropriate for the scene itself, as from the perspective of the audience. Some buildings were razed, but everything turns out all right in the end. We know this, so some comedy makes things mix well.

It’s not people cracking jokes at each other, but it’s the nature and description of their interaction, which RJ does so well (especially with Mat, later on). For instance: “Suddenly he was knocked back a step as Egwene cannoned into him, throwing her arms around him.” Just the word choice there is funny. And, as Rand is searching for a way to save his father: “The gleeman shifted as if to speak. Rand rounded on him eagerly. ‘Do you have an idea? I’ll try anything.’ ‘I was just wondering,’ Thom said…‘if the Mayor knew who scrawled the Dragon’s Fang on his door.’…Rand gave him a disgusted look and turned away to stare into the fire.” Condensing the passage ruins the humor, but reading it unabridged makes me smile even now, and certainly had me laughing before I read it five bajillion times over the years.

Anyway, onwards to the next chapter!

Chapter 8:

Major Events: Moiraine heals Tam and convinces Rand that he, Perrin and Mat are the reason for the Darkspawn raid, and therefore they must head to Tar Valon

Male Quirks: 1 (2) Woohoo, men don’t understand women! According to the Mayor, Moiraine mysterious gets on like best friends with half the female populace in Emond’s Field, whereas the other half regard her as akin to Trollocs. Only the men have the sense to tread carefully around her, because men are from Mars, and women are from who the hell knows where.

Interesting Points: This sentence after Moiraine channels: “[Rand] shivered and rubbed his arms, not really sure he wanted to know what she was doing.” It’s unclear to me whether this is the first indication that Rand can detect channeling from saidar. We’ll see if there are any following descriptions of this sort, although somehow I think that I’m reading too much into this passage.

Review: Yet again, we find another entertaining chapter. Moiraine is a joy to read, because she’s a well done female character who acts the way you would expect someone in her position to act. She didn’t yank her hair out or start to constantly smooth her skirts in alarm that Trollocs and Myrddraal showed up where they shouldn’t, thus practically confirming her suspicions that the Dragon Reborn has been kicking it with the Randland rednecks. No, she does what needs to be done without hysterics.

And she’s polite. How about that? She’s commanding, of course, but she also recognizes the value of persuasion and not being an asshole to someone you want to convince.

At the same time, her humanity shows prominently. She’s determined, but she’s weary. There’s still that sense of mystery about her, but she at least seems approachable.

It’s…nice.

As for the dynamics of the Rand/Moiraine relationship, ah, how much changes over several thousand pages. Rand’s evolution is really quite incredible. Some people have called him shallow, but all that means is that some people are apparently capable of talking out of their ass. Eye of the World Rand is **completely** different from the crazy badass he becomes. It’s a more dramatic change than even Jaime experienced (although, I grant, not as clever). It’s fluid too, and makes sense the whole time. This is what thousands of pages can do for you, I guess.

Lan is also a cool character. He’s pretty one note so far, but that note is sweet. I love his scene with Rand while Moiraine is healing Tam.

So it’s an excellent chapter.

Anyone reading this book, with the expectations of the genre already calcified, would know that none of the characters already introduced had any chance of dying. No one would actually believe that Tam was in any real danger.

I'm not so sure about Tam, killing the father figure off early on is a cliché that is used in a few Epic Fantasy series.

I thought of it as an improvement, because I couldn’t stand Nynaeve **in character**, but I forgot that she used to be, ya know, not totally insufferable.

I still think that her improvement in book 12 is a change of character, because she did stop cease as a human being and become a pure, anthropomorphic manifestation of asshole…but for now, this chapter adds a lot to her.

I like that there’s the aspect of immaturity in her, and self-consciousness of it which ironically amplifies it as she tries to compensate for the sake of her important role in the local government, and her awareness that many look down on her because of her age.

I think you may be surprised by Nynaeve even later. I'm questioning a lot of my old assumptions upon reread. She goes from a position of authority to being a wilder Accepted whom even Egwene and Elayne largely ignore. She ends up being used by other Aes Sedai, getting sent away to get used to having authority again, then comes back to get punished and/or ignored. Even when Egwene raises her to Aes Sedai, the other Aes Sedai and the Kin and the Windfinders all find reasons to look down on her. Despite this, you can see that she tries to remain fair when she could call them down. I can't blame her for her frustration and increasing bitchiness when, no matter what she does, including healing stilled women and twice defeating a Forsaken (her breakdown after Moghedien takes her in Tel'aran'rhiod is interesting, too) and capturing Black Ajah members and rescuing the Panarch of Tanchico and bringing the Horn of Valere to the Tower, she can't seem to get any respect.

Lan is also a cool character. He’s pretty one note so far, but that note is sweet.

Lan is a cool character, but I think remains relatively one note throughout the series. The only real character conflict we see with him is when he's torn between Moiraine and Nynaeve. After Moiraine's gone, he doesn't even have that. He's the quintessential Warder and he's in love with Nynaeve. Maybe he's two-note.

Sorry to change topic guys, but i just re-read some of the thread, and i noticed at the statr that there was some discussion about spanking in the series.

Now i may just be blind - i do tend to skim over some parts, but ive jsut finished book 10, Crossroads of Twilight, and i havnt noticed any spanking whatsoever. Are my books edited copies? Or am i just really blind.

Sorry to change topic guys, but i just re-read some of the thread, and i noticed at the statr that there was some discussion about spanking in the series.

Now i may just be blind - i do tend to skim over some parts, but ive jsut finished book 10, Crossroads of Twilight, and i havnt noticed any spanking whatsoever. Are my books edited copies? Or am i just really blind.

Most of the spanking is in the White Tower, where it is performed as punishment.

In Book 10 there is a major spanking scene (!) when Mat grabs one of the Aes Sedai making his life a misery and spanks her hard and in perhaps a little too much detail from the author.

Im sorry Werthead but i dont remember that part. I remember skipping a chapter or two at one point but i dont think it was a Mat chapter. which capter was this incredibly detailed fetish spanking scene in, may i ask??

Im sorry Werthead but i dont remember that part. I remember skipping a chapter or two at one point but i dont think it was a Mat chapter. which capter was this incredibly detailed fetish spanking scene in, may i ask??

That part was actually in KoD. And boy, did Joline deserve it.

That part was actually in KoD. And boy, did Joline deserve it.

Master Cauthon says Joline has been a bad girl and it's time for a spanking.

Naughty, naughty Aes Sedai.

Most of the spanking is in the White Tower, where it is performed as punishment.

In Book 10 there is a major spanking scene (!) when Mat grabs one of the Aes Sedai making his life a misery and spanks her hard and in perhaps a little too much detail from the author.

I'm sorry wert, but I don't see how you can use that scene as an example of bad spanking in the series (I say bad, with regards to the tone in this thread about the different spanking scenes).

Of all the mentionings of spanking, that is the one scene where it makes any sense. Misogynistic or not, that Aes Sedai soo had it coming.

There isn't much onscreen spanking, but I've actually been looking out for Jordan's quirks and have noticed spanking getting brought up. It does seem there are a lot of references to spanking considering the age of the characters, "too big to spank" is a phrase I've noticed a couple times, threats about "warming X's bottom," or "turning Y over Z's knee," and there's a bit of offscreen spanking, either where we hear about it directly or it's implied. The people most likely to get spanked/striped/belted/a'dam-thought-spanked are Egwene, Aiel, and Aes Sedai. It does happen more often to women, though Moiraine uses saidar to smack Rand's butt once, but Aviendha, Elayne, Nynaeve, Faile, and Egwene have all been spanked by the ninth book. Oh, Tuon thought about the times her bodyguard's had spanked her a couple chapters ago and joked about spanking her in turn. I can't remember any men besides Rand getting spanked.

....Sorry, I was distracted by Slyfinger's avatar. I'm going to hurry up with this and....

....okay, focus.

I'm not so sure about Tam, killing the father figure off early on is a cliché that is used in a few Epic Fantasy series.

Touche. The family killed and the village razed. What is a poor farmboy to do but BECOME THE ULTIMATE WARRIOR AND SEEK REVENGE! It is a common motif.

I think you may be surprised by Nynaeve even later.

I'm on book three and still like her a lot. But she is getting somewhat annoying. Not anything that makes me believe that, with the parameters of her character before, that it's anything other than a natural evolution considering her circumstances, and none of it is actually grating. As for the rest of what you said, I have no idea if it will work for me this time. We'll see later. Besides, I'm getting ahead of myself with the review.

Lan is a cool character, but I think remains relatively one note throughout the series. The only real character conflict we see with him is when he's torn between Moiraine and Nynaeve.

He's not like some Russian character announcing in a long monologue all his griefs and the griefs of the world, and then ruminating aloud every single one of his facets. But I think further in his much more animated, and the conflicts he experiences that distance him from his deep connection to Moiraine is more than one-note. I'm truly interested in what it'll be like once Moiraine is brought back (I fear that it will be given short-shift though, considering the humongous, mind-boggling amount of plot left to cover between books 13 and 14).

Something I was wondering - there was a point in book 2 where Machin Shin was stalking Rand, and it even tried to squeeze through the Waygate. Has this ever been addressed since?

Anyway, to the reviews -

Chapter 9:

Major Events: Rand’s (prophetic?) dream, Moiraine quells those upstart townfolk.

Interesting Points: “That bleak stone spire…was the source of his desolation. He had never seen it before, but he knew it. The memory of it flashed away like quicksilver when he tried to touch it, but the memory was there. He knew it was there.” I’m not sure whether or not it was intended as such, but this seems to be the first memory from Rand’s past lives that percolate through the Pattern into Rand’s modern incarnation. Later, of course, Rand’s insanity forms Lews Therin, whose knowledge comes from these “memories,” which seem to be like Mat’s.

This whole dream is fascinating, but I’m still uncertain what is going on. The land of evil is is Thankan’dar. The island city is obviously Tar Valon, and the large building the White Tower. For a while, Rand tries to run from Ishamael, and then becomes defiant. Later in the city, he tries to veer away from his heading, but seems unable to and eventually resigns himself to the path.

So, questions. There’s that singing again, and judging by the garb, it’s the Traveling People who are doing the singing. Portentous? And why is Rand’s destination the White Tower? Is this intended to be a union of Aes Sedai and Asha’man, where they all become simply “Aes Sedai,” male and female? Why the Myrddraal at the end? Are these metaphorical events?

Moiraine had mentioned those two places before Rand drifted off. He also had seen the Myrdraal earlier too. Coincidence or prophecy?

Review: Another in a long string of excellent chapters. Hey, what can I say? This is a terrific book. RJ became famous for a reason.

The dream part is odd, and I doubt I will fully understand what’s going on until the very last book. It’s still interesting.

However, even better is Moiraine’s story about Manetheren and Aemon’s fall. I usually find it absurd and a little indulgent when a character sings or tells a story or poem and everyone else is awed by it. This is often because the stories can come off as lame (and the songs and poems always come off as lame), so it creates a disconnection with the situation. But in this case, I don’t blame the villagers for being entranced. I was entranced.

Chapter 10:

Major Events: Rand and company finally depart Two Rivers, and the adventure begins.

Interesting Points: Cloud was Jon Thane’s horse. Trivial, but there it is.

Review: While there’s a lot of familiarity with this segment and its resemblance to Frodo’s flight from the Shire, for me it was highly enjoyable, regardless. I’ve gotten to know all of these characters, and they certainly don’t seem like strangers anymore. It adds to the tense yet excited atmosphere. Again, there’s really no sense of danger, because everyone knows the good guys are gonna win, yet strangely enough, for all of the terrific preceding development that went on, I feel like I’m experiencing the flight along with the characters.

The first time I read this sequence of chapters, up until Baerlon, I was on the edge of my seat. I still find that to be true, even though I know what happens.

Top marks for this chapter, and the next few as well.

Chapter 11:

Major Events: Rand channels. The group arrives at Taren Ferry.

Interesting Points: Rand’s channeling here is described as thus: “His skin prickled, and his bones felt as if they were freezing, ready to split open.”

Review: It’s a chase scene, but there’s more to it to set it apart from the usual far. The excitement of exploration, of leaving this small town into the vast world beyond, is palpable. Even though the Draghkar is kind of lame, it’s cool to note from Rand’s internal monologue how much ground is covered. This is as new to him as it is to us, and you feel it.

I love the end of the chapter with Master Hightower being harassed by Lan and Mat. Some of my favorite quotes:

“Fog swirled around the Warder like smoke as he leaped from his saddle and mounted the stair that rose to the front door, as high above the street as their heads. At the top of the stairs Lan hammered with his fist on the door.

“‘I though he wanted quiet,’ Mat muttered.

“Lan’s pounding went on.”

And:

“‘He never even saw a high tower,’ Mat snickered.”

The last quote is only amusing, but the first quote cracks me up, especially Mat’s line.

Chapter 12:

Major Events: The Taren Ferry is successfully crossed.

Interesting Points: This is where we start to have the first detailed explanation of the One Power, saidar, saidin and the taint, and the Aes Sedai society. Also, we get the first hint of Thom’s history with a man who could channel.

Review: Not much to add that hasn’t been said before. Great chapter for the reasons listed in the previous chapter.

Of special note, Lan shows some additional depth as he takes an interest in teaching the Two Rivers men about their weapons of choice. I think this is the point where RJ fleshes him out as more than just some silent, broody guardian.

Chapter 13:

Female Quirks: 2 (10) Egwene goes on about how men prate about adventures, but then lose interest once the adventure begins.

Moiraine: “Or you would have sat in the Women’s Circle and managed the affairs of Emond’s Field while the Village Council thought it was doing so.”

Interesting Points: The Great Hunt for the Horn is first mentioned. As is the Stone of Tear and the Sword That Cannot Be Touched.

Review: My favorite of the chapters depicting the journey to Baerlon. RJ has an extraordinary talent of gathering a bunch of characters (seven, in this instance) and having them interact with each other, without anyone fading into the background. This chapter adds a lot of depth to the group. It’s great fun reading about Thom enchanting the group with his talents as a gleeman, and taking as apprentice the three Two Rivers men. And there’s Moiraine doing the same with Egwene, teaching her about the One Power, which is an awesome magic system.

Also, the isolated interaction of Lan and Moiraine is further explored, which is another plus, particularly as we get to read the dynamics of their relationship alter in the future, as Lan is distracted from his singular, obsessive protectiveness of Moiraine by his (silly) romance with Nynaeve, and his mentorship of Rand.

Chapter 14:

Major Events: The characters take a reprieve and the Balzy nightmares begin.

Interesting Points: This is full of interesting tidbits. Mention of previous false Dragons, Ishamael’s hand in the Trolloc Wars, Hawkwing’s war against Aes Sedai, and the beginning of the Seanchan Empire. Also notable is “the doom yet to come” Ishamael speaks of, referring to a future consequence of sending part of Hawkwing’s army across the Aryth Ocean.

Review: I remember not liking the dream sequence when I first read it, though I can’t recall why. It bored me for some reason.

My opinion has certainly changed on this read. Badass, and informative. All sorts of information is relayed. My only problem with it is small. Ishamael keeps calling Rand “worm,” as an insult. What the shit is that all about? If you’re going to insult someone, fucking insult them. A six year old would laugh in your face if you called them that, and I wouldn’t blame them. If someone held a gun to my head I would be terrified, but if they then proceeded to call me “worm,” that terror would evaporate into uncontrollable fits of laughter at the douchebag.

That aside, the rest of the chapter is good reading too. RJ continues to display is seamless talent with multiple characters on-screen. The bath scene is my favorite of these, with Mat acting like a moron while everyone else is trying to shut him, which completely baffles Ara, the serving man

Chapter 15:

Major Events: Padan Fain pops up and learns where Rand is staying. Rand experiences the aftereffects of channeling; also, he has a confrontation with the Whitecloaks, namely Dain Bornhold.

Female Quirks: 1 (11) “Master Fitch is a good enough man, though the best of you aren’t any bargains.”

Review: Awesome chapter. First of all, I totally dig Rand’s confrontation with the Whitecloaks. No sword fights needed, it still made me think of Rand as the shit. And Mat contributed some decent humor to the scene, although he still is far from the heights of greatness he’ll later reach.

Thom’s reactions to their dreams adds some fresh urgency and intrigue to the tale too. Of course, it should be obvious to every reader worth his salt that Rand is the Kwasat Hadarach, but even so, it’s exciting stuff.

My favorite lines in this chapter:

Rand, readying himself to go out in the city: “Telling himself it was not because he had often daydreamed about walking the streets of a real city wearing a sword, he belted it on and tossed his cloak over his shoulder like a sack.”

Mat, upon Rand knocking him in the mud while chasing after Fain: “You must be turning into a city man. Sleep all morning and run right over people.” I don’t know why this line amusing me as much as it does.

Not a review, but I've noticed that it's book three where RJ lets loose with a fury of sniffs, skirt smoothing, braid tugs, and gender war ruminations. There's a complete difference, really. Since I record each instance, it's very easy to notice. For the first book, it was almost non-existent. For the second book, the sniffs had a steep hike in number, but it did peter off later on.

The third book, however...wow. Every other page, and often a few times on the same page, I'm recording one of these female quirks. Not in the hyperbolic sense, but really...every other page. Usually less than that.

I would not be surprised if sniffs reached triple digit counting this book alone. That's crazy. I knew there were a lot of them, but that's ridiculous. I can't imagine what the later books will be like. Quadruple digits, maybe?

It's that time again, kids. Here are more chapter reviews.

Chapter 16:

Major Events: Here comes the Wisdom.

Female Quirks: 4 (15) Nynaeve, referring to Tam: “he has a mite of sense, mostly, more than most men…” “The Light save me from me from men who think with the hair on their chests. Though I don’t know as there are any other kind.” “…the men around Emond’s Field are stubborn wool-heads.” Four in one paragraph. Off to a good start, Nynny.

Men Who Think With the Hair On Their Chests: 1 (Total: 1)

Braid Tugs: 1 (Total: 1) Yep. Page 53 was Nynaeve’s first sniff, and now page 232 is her first braid tug.

Sniffs: 1 (2) “[Nynaeve] gave a hearty sniff…”

Review: It’s shocking to say this, but Nynaeve is pretty awesome in this chapter, braid tugs, sniffs and sexism aside (with her entrance, female quirks went up by a count of four in one chapter alone). I had to rub my eyes a couple of times. I must be so stuck in my memory of the later books. It’s remarkable how much RJ drilled this character into the ground over the proceeding novels.

She’s compassionate, determined, and she actually…talks to people, instead of berating them for the whole chapter. The scene at the conclusion of this chapter, when Rand breaks down over what Tam said in his fever, and Nynaeve’s supporting words raised her high in my esteem.

And Moiraine is my favorite character so far. It’s hard to believe that she’s an Aes Sedai, in fact. She’s not consummately obnoxious. She’s quite the opposite of that. I love her unbending determination, but she doesn’t use it as a blunt, unthinking force. She uses guile and understanding to turn people to her side…like you would imagine an Aes Sedai would do. I know that RJ’s stated intention is to show that those in power are as human as the rest of us. Moiraine says as much to Egwene. But Moiraine does seem human, and she doesn’t need to constantly clutch at her skirts or screech hysterically to achieve that effect. In fact, the lack of those qualities prevents her from seeming like a crazy android, which is what the Aes Sedai in the later books come off as.

My favorite line in this chapter is when Min pulls Rand aside to tell him more about her visions, and the reaction: “We don’t have time for that, boy,” Thom said gruffly.

Chapter 17:

Major Events: The group is discovered and flee Baerlon.

Sniffs: 1 (3) This time Moiraine is the sniffer, rather than Nynaeve.

Interesting Points: Using the Mirror of Mists, Moiraine steps over a city wall. I thought it was only an illusion?

Review: I’m coming off as a broken record, but this is another excellent chapter. So far there hasn’t been a weak moment in the book.

The dancing is a fun little bit, and the sudden Myrdraal appearance was a pretty cool scene that gets things moving. But the best part of the chapter is when Moiraine is confronted by the Whitecloaks, and weaves Mirror of Mists. Not only is the scene itself a wonderful payoff to the build-up of the confrontation, but the build-up too is good stuff.

If you are like me, you probably wondered in the previous chapter what it would be like if Bornhold and the other arrogant Children, being mere mortals, were faced-off against a woman with superhuman powers. Well, RJ delivers.

Chapter 18:

Major Events: Rand and company are beset by roving bands of Trolloc and Myrdraal, and escape to Shadar Logoth. Mat first speaks the Old Tongue.

Interesting Points: First mention of the Red Eagles.

Sniffs: 2 (5) Egwene, clearly feeling left out, joins the sniffers. But Nynaeve refuses to be outsniffed and so has a go at it too.

Review: Things get even better here. The extent of Moiraine’s power, which has up to this point been only hinted about, mostly, comes in full force. The plus is that the excitement and chaos of the battle are well-depicted, and the Two Rivers men aren’t shown as uber-warriors. I don’t think Rand so much as swings his blade.

The convenient presence of Shadar Logoth, a place Darkspawn fear, could be construed as something of a deus ex machina. That’s because it is. At least RJ makes his characters work for it, somewhat, and it’s not complete safety from danger.

Chapter 19:

Major Events: Rand, Mat and Perrin have a run in with Mordeth, and the characters flee yet again from the Darkspawn.

Interesting Points: A bit of foreshadowing from Thom: “The dead can be reborn, or take a living body, and it is not something to speak of lightly.”

Mordeth does his thinning act, just as the gholms are able to do.

Also, this is the last scene in the series where Thom and Perrin are in the same scene together (I think).

Skirt Smoothing (Clutching, etc): 1 (Total: 1) Moiraine clutches at her skirt.

Review: Things quiet down somewhat after the tense chase and battle sequence. Also, might as well savor this chapter, as it’s the last one in the next eleven books that the original group is all together. It’s true that they are gathered at the beginning of book 4, but they are more incidentally together, and not everybody interacts with each other. Whereas here there’s still that sense of solidarity.

Anyway, this chapter is another link in the chain of awesome chapters. My favorite thing about it is we get a look at Mat’s habit of drawing his friends into doing something really stupid. And the scene with Mordeth is plain bizarre. I love Moiraine’s reaction to their gallivanting adventure.

I know Fain is still out there, but I always wanted to know mroe about Shadar Logoth and what the heck is up with that.

Just in case Migey hasn't caught up yet, book 9 spoilers:

Shadar Logoth got destroyed. Rand dumped an ocean's worth of the Dark One's taint on it while cleansing saidin, and the two types of evil basically collapsed against each other. Now there's nothing but a crater.

Yeah, but the thing is... Where did it come from? If it is "metaphysical evil" distinct from The Shadow *what* is it? If the Dark ONe is the Creator's antithesis what the heck is the Shadar Logoth thing?

Yeah, but the thing is... Where did it come from? If it is "metaphysical evil" distinct from The Shadow *what* is it? If the Dark ONe is the Creator's antithesis what the heck is the Shadar Logoth thing?

They did explain it. It's Evil. It's just a different KIND of evil from the Dark One.

And I think it's a mistake to think of the Dark One as the Creator's antithesis.

Archived