The Wheel of Time

Migey

Path of Daggers ebook cover art.

Pretty shite, it has to be said. The first time the ebook art is inferior to the Sweet original (despite FANCY RAND! on the original front cover)?

What's wrong with it? It's both beautiful and true to the books. What more can you ask of a cover? :)

Edit: That being said, I would have prefered if they had depicted Rands offensive seen from the Seanchan side. The Seanchan commander ordering the retreat in the rain, surrounded by dead soldiers and damane would have looked great, and also would have fit the title better...

I like Tuon too. Obviously, she's not the chummy type. But the fact is that she is a rational person, and in a genre filled with irrational nobility, she's one of the few who makes sense and actually seems like ruler material.

I think she is demonstrably not rational. Even aside from her ridiculous (for this series) beliefs in omens, when someone like Mat tells her about his experiences (with Trollocs, Gholam, Myrddraal etc.) she refuses to believe in any of it. Chalk it up to the Seanchan psychology, you might, but it's still irrational. Her justifications for her beliefs are ALWAY of the "everybody knows it to be so" variety. Confront her with evidence that suldam are latent channelers and she says so what? She'll continue to enslave damane anyway.

No, she needs to die.

I think she is demonstrably not rational. Even aside from her ridiculous (for this series) beliefs in omens, when someone like Mat tells her about his experiences (with Trollocs, Gholam, Myrddraal etc.) she refuses to believe in any of it. Chalk it up to the Seanchan psychology, you might, but it's still irrational. Her justifications for her beliefs are ALWAY of the "everybody knows it to be so" variety. Confront her with evidence that suldam are latent channelers and she says so what? She'll continue to enslave damane anyway.

No, she needs to die.

Ummm... we have no proof, except for the Westland character's beliefs, that the signs and symbols Tuon sees is false. Just because these superstitions are silly in our world means nothing.

As for the damane thing... while I disagree totally with her take on it, and think it is horrifyingly inhumane, her argument about the sul'dam makes sense given the Seanchan perspective on channelers. No irrationality there, just a very alien perspective.

As for the PoD cover, it is far from bad, and definitely not worse than the DKS cover, but I do wish they had made it clearer which is Aviendha and which Elayne. Both the central character and the one to the left seem to have aspects of both women.

Well, the one on the left has deep red hair, so....

... and making it even clearer, the one in the middle wears a rather big menacing dagger... (You could also look at who has her nose in the air ;))

Well, the one on the left has deep red hair, so....

So that is Aviendha? Then why is the one in the center wearing the Aiel belt-knife? And why is "Aviendha" wearing a green dress (usually, I'd say that is Elayne)?

ETA: Also, the one on the left is wearing what is described to be Elayne's dress in the book (just checked). Yet, she is taller than the others, which makes no sense.

So that is Aviendha? Then why is the one in the center wearing the Aiel belt-knife? And why is "Aviendha" wearing a green dress (usually, I'd say that is Elayne)?

ETA: Also, the one on the left is wearing what is described to be Elayne's dress in the book (just checked). Yet, she is taller than the others, which makes no sense.

Left: Elayne (In the book described as being very tall for a woman, wearing a green dress, and having red-golden hair. And look at the posture, how could she not be Elayne lol?)

Middle: Aviendah (Also described as having reddish hair, but the artist seems to have changed that to make the picture more balanced. In this scene she also has her precious knife that she likes to wave around, and is wearing a simpler dress.)

Right: Nynaeve (Dark hair, braid, and Lan's ring. Is described as a little shorter, but the artist seems to have ignored that to make the picture better.)

I'm feeling a little nerdy, but I guess it it's rather fitting to discuss hair and dresses in a Robert Jordan book...

But she doesn't even look like Elayne. The middle one with the blonde-ish hair looks far more like Elayne than the one on the left, regardless of the belt-knife. As far as the dress and the knife goes, I don't know. But she has the Aviendha look, which the middle one is lacking. But maybe you're right, and it's the artists' interpretation, but still, everyone knows Aviendha to have red hair, not blonde.

Elayne is not taller than Aviendha, it's a forced perspective picture. Elayne and Nyneave are supposed to be the same distance from the "camera" and Nyneave is noticeably shorter. I quite like the painting even though I personally would have switched the hair colour of Aviendha and Elayne.

I'm also going to be willing to put money down that the ebook cover for Winter's Heart will be Rand and Nyneave sitting on opposite sides of the Choedan Kal. But that might be too easy a choice.

Space Champion,

So because Tuon doesn't believe in useless superstitions(in her eyes) then she should die. From your perspective should not Mat then also die because he also doesn't believe in useless superstitions(in his eyes)?

The center one looks more like Elayne to me too. The hair is closer to red-gold, and she has an oval face.

The one on the left is how I pictured Aviendha. Tall, long red hair, sunburnt cheeks.

And yea... this has got to be the nerdiest WoT discussion ever.

Space Champion,

So because Tuon doesn't believe in useless superstitions(in her eyes) then she should die. From your perspective should not Mat then also die because he also doesn't believe in useless superstitions(in his eyes)?

Did I say anything of the kind? No I did not. Someone else claimed Tuon was a rational person. I dispute that, and oh by the way I hate her and want her to die. There is no relation between the two.

Elayne does look a little odd. Not tall, precisely, but her measurements don't really add up. Aviendha, for example, has a smaller chest, whereas it is described that she has a surprisingly big bosom or some such. Comparatively to the Aiel, of course, but I didn't imagine they'd be too different from what the rest of the continent has.

And yeah, Tuon can be a pain to read, sometimes. I still rather like her, though, and don't want her to die. Not that she will, anyway.

She's rational enough when there's evidence, and not merely the claims of a young man who's a known liar who consorts with marath-damane and may or may not have actually done anything more respectable in his life than being Tylin's Toy, or for that matter actually been out of Ebou Dar before for all she knows, and his ratty friends Thom the gimp and Noal the toothless. Considering how eager Rand and all the people of his part of the world are to embrace prophecies and portents of all kinds, the Seanchan aren't reall exceptional but are more entertaining. And of all the kings and queens we've seen, Tuon would probably be the best ruler by far.

She's probably my favorite WOT character, even before Nynaeve or Mat or Ishamael.

Archived